Walter Football mock draft

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can tell you a lot of local media types were iffy on Luck until they saw him up close in the ASU game. He was RIDICULOUS. His accuracy and arm strength and footwork and mobility and just overall smarts and feel of the game ... Not sure I've seen anything like it since Elway. Watch the video below and fast forward to the :30 mark. That is one of the most incredibly athletic pass plays by a QB I've ever witnessed -- at any level. He threw the ball 45 yards on a rope while he was falling to his knees with a guy hanging on his back.

Luck may very well be the Elway of this generation. I don't see how any team can pass on that kind of potential at the QB position.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those jump passes will not work in the NFL, but that arm strength will.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Like you I have never seen Luck play so I am just assuming he is the best thing since sliced bread. Is he in a bowl game?.

you must pay absolutely no attention to college football. is he in a bowl game? stanford is ranked #4 in the country.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I can tell you a lot of local media types were iffy on Luck until they saw him up close in the ASU game.
Well, that just about sums up the ignorance of our local media. Luck would've gone top 5 last year after his freshman year. The kid is filthy. Not only should we be running the kids out there to try and get him (thanks Whiz :rolleyes:) but we should make every effort to get him on the roster even if we don't have the pick. Unfortunately I don't see it happening because we won't lose enough nor will the powers that be cough up the dough to move up to the top spot.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that just about sums up the ignorance of our local media. Luck would've gone top 5 last year after his freshman year. The kid is filthy. Not only should we be running the kids out there to try and get him (thanks Whiz :rolleyes:) but we should make every effort to get him on the roster even if we don't have the pick. Unfortunately I don't see it happening because we won't lose enough nor will the powers that be cough up the dough to move up to the top spot.

At this rate, I don't know who we can beat the rest of the season. Especially with a UFL QB starting (actually, he's probably better than everything else we got).

I would love to see us trade up for Luck and it it would be well worth the future picks we'd have to give up. The kid is amazing and will be great in the NFL.

How does the Clemson DE (Bowers) project in a 3-4? We need a pass rush bad.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
If the draft plays out like the walterfootball mock suggests, we should take Robert Quinn in that spot. While Bowers might be the top ranked defensive lineman (and for good reason), Quinn is the best suited for the 3-4. He's a top five talent who get suspended for something that really isn't all that serious, and his talent is worth any character concerns. As others have suggested, while our secondary could use some improvement, our pass rush is by far the biggest need on defense, and Quinn is the best suited to fill that need.

The second round pick is terrific. I've been to most Arkansas games this year, and DeMarcus Love is going to be a stud at the next level. Unlike the rest of our offensive line, this guy is incredibly athletic and could greatly improve our offensive line. He's one of the primary reasons that the Hogs have been so successful this year, and he's played against top notch competition. Also, he's had to protect Ryan Mallet, a quarterback who has very limited mobility, and has done so with flying colors.

Obviously, folks are going to ask where's the quarterback. Outside of Luck, I think we're setting ourselves up for failure if we draft a QB in round one. Newton is a two to three year project. He's just not going to be successful or able to start immediately. Mallet has most of the physical tools, but the guy has no mobility. On a team with a weak offensive line where he'd be asked to probably start year one, he's going to get killed. I'd be much more comfortable with improving our talent on the offensive and defensive lines, and drafting a guy like Stanzi in the third round. Just because we need a quarterback doesn't mean we need to shoot ourselves in the foot by drafting someone who will not be in a position to succeed in the near future. The only true franchise quarterback in this draft is Luck, and he won't be available.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Heard bit and pieces of Luck's interview with Scott Van Pelt yesterday. It sounds like he'll be coming out. He said all the right thing about talking it over with his family and all but never specifically mentioned going back to school. He now looks and sounds the part,he comes off very intelligent. The Cards should trade up for this guy pretty much whatever the cost is. I think he'll be way better than Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan, or Sam Bradford and those guys are all looking pretty good.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If the draft plays out like the walterfootball mock suggests, we should take Robert Quinn in that spot. While Bowers might be the top ranked defensive lineman (and for good reason), Quinn is the best suited for the 3-4. He's a top five talent who get suspended for something that really isn't all that serious, and his talent is worth any character concerns. As others have suggested, while our secondary could use some improvement, our pass rush is by far the biggest need on defense, and Quinn is the best suited to fill that need.

The second round pick is terrific. I've been to most Arkansas games this year, and DeMarcus Love is going to be a stud at the next level. Unlike the rest of our offensive line, this guy is incredibly athletic and could greatly improve our offensive line. He's one of the primary reasons that the Hogs have been so successful this year, and he's played against top notch competition. Also, he's had to protect Ryan Mallet, a quarterback who has very limited mobility, and has done so with flying colors.

Obviously, folks are going to ask where's the quarterback. Outside of Luck, I think we're setting ourselves up for failure if we draft a QB in round one. Newton is a two to three year project. He's just not going to be successful or able to start immediately. Mallet has most of the physical tools, but the guy has no mobility. On a team with a weak offensive line where he'd be asked to probably start year one, he's going to get killed. I'd be much more comfortable with improving our talent on the offensive and defensive lines, and drafting a guy like Stanzi in the third round. Just because we need a quarterback doesn't mean we need to shoot ourselves in the foot by drafting someone who will not be in a position to succeed in the near future. The only true franchise quarterback in this draft is Luck, and he won't be available.

Your post makes complete sense. Outside of Luck, there is not a top 5 QB on the board. We'd be better off trading down or back into the 1st round if one falls possibly.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Your post makes complete sense. Outside of Luck, there is not a top 5 QB on the board. We'd be better off trading down or back into the 1st round if one falls possibly.

Don't forget that the counterpoint to the QB is the pass rush. So if you can't get the star QB getting a star pass rusher is almost as good.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Don't forget that the counterpoint to the QB is the pass rush. So if you can't get the star QB getting a star pass rusher is almost as good.
We would just drop said pass rusher into pass coverage, and never let him rush the QB.:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard