Walter Football mock draft

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
No use wasting picks on defense or the Oline.. Both will be so poorly coached, that it's pointless to waste a first rounder on those positions.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Finally a bit of sanity. On the defensive side of the game our drafting priorities should start with an OLB and an ILB on the strong side as well. With CC underperforming and Branch possibly leaving as an FA a DE would not be a bad idea. Our lack of pass rush is the biggest problem on our defense. You put any CB out there right now and they'll be getting smoked left right and centre with the QB having all day to disect them.

In terms of names its fun to speculate names early but id wait till we get nearer the end of the season before i make mind up about some of the players at those positions.

Totally agree on the OLB point, but I feel that our solution to SILB lies in Free Agency. The Jets will find it hard to keep David Harris, and I for one would snatch him up in a heartbeat. The guy is a 3 down player with terrific instincts who plays the run and pass both exceptionally well. He's definitely one of the top ILB's in the league and is also one of the most underrated pass rushers from the ILB position.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Cardinals won't try building the franchise with WR's, again...

Hey, there's an idea, bet we could get Matt Millen to replace Rod Graves

:D

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If we draft a CB ill be pissed. We have no pass rush and cant stop the run. Our CB's are the least of our worries.

I've seen every game this year, the secondary is HORRENDOUS!

The D-Line is one of the strengths. MLB is a glaring weakness, but you can't take one where we'll be picking. Not in the first.

It'll be a QB, or a trade for one.

But this team desparately needs another every down corner. Toller can't cover and Cromartie has tanked this year.

I like the Nebraska kid Amakamara, a lot.

But assuming we can't land Luck, it seems to come down to Mallet or Locker or possibly Newton?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Totally agree on the OLB point, but I feel that our solution to SILB lies in Free Agency. The Jets will find it hard to keep David Harris, and I for one would snatch him up in a heartbeat. The guy is a 3 down player with terrific instincts who plays the run and pass both exceptionally well. He's definitely one of the top ILB's in the league and is also one of the most underrated pass rushers from the ILB position.

Harris won't be leaving NY. They'll cut ties elsewhere before that happens.

At OLB Schofeild and Davis show good/excellent potential. Especially Schofeild IMO.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Finally a bit of sanity. On the defensive side of the game our drafting priorities should start with an OLB and an ILB on the strong side as well. With CC underperforming and Branch possibly leaving as an FA a DE would not be a bad idea. Our lack of pass rush is the biggest problem on our defense. You put any CB out there right now and they'll be getting smoked left right and centre with the QB having all day to disect them.

In terms of names its fun to speculate names early but id wait till we get nearer the end of the season before i make mind up about some of the players at those positions.

Agree 100%.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
please, oh please! If we draft a defensive player, please make sure that he knows how to tackle!!!!! I can't stand anymore of the draft picks that can't tackle.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Cardinals won't try building the franchise with WR's, again...

It's the only position this franchise has consistently found good players for. The most important thing is that you can't draft a bust when picking as high as we are going to pick. It seemed nuts to many people to draft Larry when we did coming off a season when we had maybe the worst offensive line in the NFL. Had we picked Gallery, like many wanted......

Bottom line, first round, draft talent, later rounds, start addressing needs. This franchise cannot keep repeating first round draft picks like Tom Knight and Levi Brown.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
At OLB Schofeild and Davis show good/excellent potential. Especially Schofeild IMO.

1) Davis hasn't done a damn thing this year.
2) Schoefield looks much more athletic, hasn't produced much yet but has some talent & hustle despite coming off ACL surgery this year.

If we don't move up to get Luck (which I doubt), cross your fingers the Redbirds get to draft Robert Quinn. This guy will be beastly as a pass rusher & could be just what we need. Until this team adds at least 2 young oustanding OLB's the 3-4 will never work.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the payoff of drafting a QB worth the risk to me. So long as you actually trust your organization to develop the QB you like. If you don't clean house, and hire a staff you do trust.

Or just draft out of fear and take another WR, OL or CB, instead of a QBOF.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the payoff of drafting a QB worth the risk to me. So long as you actually trust your organization to develop the QB you like. If you don't clean house, and hire a staff you do trust.

Or just draft out of fear and take another WR, OL or CB, instead of a QBOF.

Then you run the risk of drafting an Alex Smith, Akili Smith or Joey Harrington if you decide to draft a QB at all costs. If a QB is equal in rating to another player, I'd take the QB too. But, I'd draft my highest evaluated player in the first round every time. Especially in the top ten.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you run the risk of drafting an Alex Smith, Akili Smith or Joey Harrington if you decide to draft a QB at all costs. If a QB is equal in rating to another player, I'd take the QB too. But, I'd draft my highest evaluated player in the first round every time. Especially in the top ten.
Yes, of course.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, of course.

I guess the problem with the Cards could be their evaluation system. They claimed Levi Brown was rated higher than Adrian Peterson and Joe Thomas. Personally, I think that claim was BS, but, if true, then they have talent evaluation issues.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the problem with the Cards could be their evaluation system. They claimed Levi Brown was rated higher than Adrian Peterson and Joe Thomas. Personally, I think that claim was BS, but, if true, then they have talent evaluation issues.
Yep.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
They claimed Levi Brown was rated higher than Adrian Peterson and Joe Thomas.

I dont think they said that

They hinted that they thought Brown was very close to Thomas because he was a better run blocker

as for Peterson -- Whis pretty much came out and said they drafted Levi because they needed an offensive tackle and already had Edgerrin James-- so we will never know

doesn't make it any less of a mistake

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

They hinted that they thought Brown was very close to Thomas because he was a better run blocker

as for Peterson -- Whis pretty much came out and said they drafted Levi because they needed an offensive tackle and already had Edgerrin James-- so we will never know

Great googly moogly, that line of reasoning is so flawed. Draft AP and the get a tackle in the second or third.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
is possible that even breaston will leave after this season..is a free agent..why we wont need???

Until we find a QB that can hit a receiver why draft one. First things first. Not only that but this could be the last time, we hope, that we will be in a position high enough to get a good QB. If you get an opportunity to draft a possible QBOTF you take him with no second thoughts.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
after that we went to superbowl..not bad at all...aj green is the best player in the draft .a sure talent.

Green could be the #1 pick in the draft. Some of the experts say he is the most NFL ready player in the draft. We still have an aj green on our team next year in Fitz. Its QB time. If one does not recognize our greatest need is a QB then they are not watching the Cards play. This is as basic as ABC. The Cards based on past history draft almost anyone with their first pick and I would not be totally surprised.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The way I remember it is that Russ Grimm supposedly liked Levi more than Thomas. Here's an article by our own Jeff Gollin:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1048-cardinals-draft-part-2-sizing-up-levi-brown

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So they have to hope they pull another Kurt Warner off the scrap heap again? Great.

The chances of us finding another Kurt Warner in the scrap heap are about 1000-1 and even then I would not bet on it. The best we can hope for is someone like McNabb and he may not care to join our last place team. If he wants a real challenge he might consider us. Some people actually enjoy pain.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I've seen every game this year, the secondary is HORRENDOUS!

The D-Line is one of the strengths. MLB is a glaring weakness, but you can't take one where we'll be picking. Not in the first.

It'll be a QB, or a trade for one.

But this team desparately needs another every down corner. Toller can't cover and Cromartie has tanked this year.

I like the Nebraska kid Amakamara, a lot.

But assuming we can't land Luck, it seems to come down to Mallet or Locker or possibly Newton?

Having the worst QB in the NFL has numerous bad unintended consequences that extend to all areas of the offense and defense. With a QB situation like ours it makes everyone including the coaches look worse than they are. Everything on a team starts with the QB. Without a good one you will NEVER go to a superbowl or even make the playoffs. Teams are normally built around their QB.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Having the worst QB in the NFL has numerous bad unintended consequences that extend to all areas of the offense and defense. With a QB situation like ours it makes everyone including the coaches look worse than they are. Everything on a team starts with the QB. Without a good one you will NEVER go to a superbowl or even make the playoffs. Teams are normally built around their QB.

With the exception of course,....superbowl winning QB TRENT DILFER...... I still would not want Dilfer on the roster,lol. That was a hall of fame defense Baltimore had, and their running game was very solid....it is old school, the way the game was originally designed to be played......rule changes and such have made teams like that less and less successful though.
I want a QB... I have not seen Luck play, but it seams unanimous he is the best one, so I am okay with the Cards drafting him....... But I really like Newton better than the others....there is a bit more risk with Newton than with a guy like Mallett, but he has the highest ceiling of any QB seen in the last ten years IMO.
McNabb is not out of the question....there is an out of sorts in his new contract.....he LOVES the valley of the sun,...lives there in the off season....from what I hear, he and Fitz have a good relationship too.
Barring drafting Luck,....my perfect scenario would be that we draft Cam Newton, then sign McNabb to a three to five year deal....let DMac run the team for a year or two with Newton getting some mop up duty,....then keep DMac for a couple seasons as the veteran backup.
for the rest of the draft....defensive front seven,...hell,...even ALL linebackers would be okay with me.
Unless of course a top notch guard slips into the second round.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
there are definitely some good qb's coming out. the problem is not all of them are going to be successful most likely. i'd be surprised if we get luck, but if we can't we have either newton, mallet, or locker. who do we grab out of those three if we decide to go qb?

Mallet or Newton are close in my mind. I have watched nearly every Arkansas game and listened to Mallet on perhaps a hundred interviews. He lives and breathes football and is a nice young man who will not create any problems. He is clearly accepted as the team leader. He records are almost legion at the University. He can make all the throws. He is the prototype NFL pocket QB with a quick release who goes through his progressions rapidly as he looks over the field. He is much like Manning in that he adjust his calls at the line after looking over the defense. With his height and over the top throw he gets few passes blocked.

Newton is not nearly as mature as Mallet. He seems more of a "me" type guy but that just may be his youth which he will grow out of. He is much the better runner and has an arm that is about equal to Mallet. He runs the ball more than Mallet which may be a plus or not when the pros evaluate him. In the SEC Mallets average pass completion play is greater than Newton and he has a better completion percentage. Mallet had far better receivers than Newton and a couple of them will likely be playing in the NFL. Newton has a better OL than Mallet and a strong defense. The boards I am looking at mostly have Mallet #2 qb in the draft behind Luck. Newton is #3 qb and I think that is because he is as much a runner as a passer and that will not work in most cases in the NFL. I recall when Terry Bradshaw came into the NFL. He was a tough guy who liked to run over people. He was even considered dumb by many people. It took him one season to figure out that you do not run over NFL defenders like in college and you better learn how to slide rather than take a hit. The rest is history. Three superbowls and how many all pros I do not know. He also was by no means stupid. Sometimes a bit crazy but never stupid.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
With the exception of course,....superbowl winning QB TRENT DILFER...... I still would not want Dilfer on the roster,lol. That was a hall of fame defense Baltimore had, and their running game was very solid....it is old school, the way the game was originally designed to be played......rule changes and such have made teams like that less and less successful though.
I want a QB... I have not seen Luck play, but it seams unanimous he is the best one, so I am okay with the Cards drafting him....... But I really like Newton better than the others....there is a bit more risk with Newton than with a guy like Mallett, but he has the highest ceiling of any QB seen in the last ten years IMO.
McNabb is not out of the question....there is an out of sorts in his new contract.....he LOVES the valley of the sun,...lives there in the off season....from what I hear, he and Fitz have a good relationship too.
Barring drafting Luck,....my perfect scenario would be that we draft Cam Newton, then sign McNabb to a three to five year deal....let DMac run the team for a year or two with Newton getting some mop up duty,....then keep DMac for a couple seasons as the veteran backup.
for the rest of the draft....defensive front seven,...hell,...even ALL linebackers would be okay with me.
Unless of course a top notch guard slips into the second round.

Like you I have never seen Luck play so I am just assuming he is the best thing since sliced bread. Is he in a bowl game? I would sure like to see him play. I would be happy with any of the top three QBs. Just hope some team in need of a QB does not out smart us and move up in the draft and leave us with none of the top three. I have watched Mallet his entire career and seen Newton in 4-5 games. I think these two have a great chance of making it in the NFL and certainly either are worthy of our first pick or even moving up to get one or the other.

I sure would like to know what our drafting process looks like? There are various people probably involved including Graves, Coaches, Scouts, the owner. In the end however only one guy can make the final decision. Normally that would be the GM (Graves). However, in our Cardinal world we are not sure who does make the final decision. The front office want tell us, for some reason. This points to that final decision guy being the owner. If it were not him he would stand up and say Graves is our GM and makes player personnel decisions. Have any of you ever heard these words come from ownership? Out of respect to the old man does Bidwill Jr. go to him for final approval? That is not out of the question being this is a family organization that spans many generations. Why do the same teams seem to always be in the hunt year after year? Like any business much has to do with organization. I would say we have a family organization that is top down with few branches. The top in our case is involved in everything which does not make for good decision making and a poor organization. Good companies including football pass down responsibility and authority. We may say we do but clearly this company is run and micro managed by the owners. That is the way it is and will always be. I think NFL players understand this.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Newton has the highest ceiling of any QB seen in the last ten years IMO.

Based on what? You really have to be kidding me...but, everyone has their opinions.

Ok, lets look at the last 2 running/throwing QB's that have been somewhat successfull in the NFL, VY & Vick. IMO Newton isn't anywhere as fast or athletic so that eliminates the running ability dramatically considering the speed in the NFL. Does he have a stronger arm than Vick? No. Young? About the same IMO. Newton is a major reach & project early in the draft IMO.

Is Newtons ceiling higher than Bradford, Rodgers, Rivers, Ryan, Manning or Staffords when they came out? All of those guys proved more than 1 year & IMO had more talent coming out for the draft than Newton. We will see...but I just don't see it!!!