Waiver Wire Running Backs

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Anybody have any names that you think might be available waiver wire wise now or during the next cut. Trading for one would be nice but I don't see that happening.

I feel good about the team now. We held our own against the Raiders...albeit a 4-12 team last year....but for them it was like a home game and I thought they'd kill us. Moral victories suck but in pre-season I guess they're OK

Sorry some of you had to live through that nightmare of the idiot Raider fans. Easy for me to say since I live in Ohio.....but we need more of those Avenger type guys to unload some cans of whooparse and send a message. The Raider fans came in droves and acted like super idiots probably because they knew they could get away with that crap. Behavior like that at most other away games would result in a Raider fan being killed. Can you see them trying that crap at The Dawg Pound in Cleveland?

Sorry.

I digress.

Running backs?

Running backs?

Beuhler?

Beuhler?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How about Joe Smith just released by the Jags? 6'1" 224. "Big physical running back..." Since our OL can't make any holes maybe he could do it on his own. :D

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zereoue looked pretty good for to me.

Our backs seem so small. Crooms seems like a kid that might be able to carry a load, but he is not polished enough to be depended upon to pick up the blitz.

We will NOT trade for a back(unless it was player for player). Green will not give up a draft choice. Lets keep in mind in about 8or 9 days teams have to cut down again. THATS where we will find the rest of the pieces to this puzzle.

OP
OP
BuckeyeCardinal

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
Zereoue looked pretty good for to me.

Our backs seem so small. Crooms seems like a kid that might be able to carry a load, but he is not polished enough to be depended upon to pick up the blitz.

We will NOT trade for a back(unless it was player for player). Green will not give up a draft choice. Lets keep in mind in about 8or 9 days teams have to cut down again. THATS where we will find the rest of the pieces to this puzzle.

Zereoue is small as well....but I agree he would be an upgrade over all our HEALTHY backs. I wonder if he will be cut? If so we should jump all over him. A new back also might cause the other backs to crank it up a notch...if they have any notches left.

I'd settle for someone who could just get us 3 or 4 yards most of the time.....not so much a gamebreaker with runaway speed....but just a big back who can make those 3 or 4 yards on his own....and who doesn't get stuffed and pushed back all the time. It's terrible to get down to the red zone....call a running play and it ends up a 1 yard gain....no gain....what was Anderson's -4....that really sucks.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
BuckeyeCardinal said:
Zereoue is small as well....but I agree he would be an upgrade over all our HEALTHY backs. I wonder if he will be cut? If so we should jump all over him. A new back also might cause the other backs to crank it up a notch...if they have any notches left.

I'd settle for someone who could just get us 3 or 4 yards most of the time.....not so much a gamebreaker with runaway speed....but just a big back who can make those 3 or 4 yards on his own....and who doesn't get stuffed and pushed back all the time. It's terrible to get down to the red zone....call a running play and it ends up a 1 yard gain....no gain....what was Anderson's -4....that really sucks.

But, of course, Anderson is not our starter.

Smith looked ok last night. Not great, but ok. I agree that there is a big drop off after Emmitt, and we should probably make a move.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Is it just me or did the Oakland RB's look much faster that anyone on our roster? I think this spells trouble for our RB's.

Neither Anderson nor Scobey made a lasting impression last night IMO. I'm pretty sure one will be gone, and I don't think either are locks to make the final roster.

Say what you will about Emmitt, but made a couple of huge blocks.

Go Cards!!!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Capital Card said:
Is it just me or did the Oakland RB's look much faster that anyone on our roster? I think this spells trouble for our RB's.

Neither Anderson nor Scobey made a lasting impression last night IMO. I'm pretty sure one will be gone, and I don't think either are locks to make the final roster.

Say what you will about Emmitt, but made a couple of huge blocks.

Go Cards!!!

It's not just you. With few exceptions everyone who played for Oakland looked faster, and stronger, and more confident, than anyone on our roster. They even put two rookie linemen in and still pushed around our DL.

Our rookies would have fouled up several times prompting numerous posts stating that they need more time to develop. :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A question, a lot of us seem to believe DG will NOT give up a pick for a RB, are people OK with that?

if I thought we could get a Fargas or Hollings for a 2nd rounder or a McGahee for a #1 I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just don't see the point if worrying about how high NEXT year's pick might be. There's no guarantee that pick will be any better than the RB we could trade for.

and if we improve the team THIS year, and win more games, it's worth it.

If we keep this RB stable I think Josh is going to get killed. As someone else said it will delay his development.

Off topic, I was watching ESPN 2 showing the Dolphins season highlights, it was essentially the Ricky Williams show. After one game where had like 40 carries his teammates were coming up to him one by one saying stuff like "i can't believe you did that, you should go into the Hall of Fame on this one game, you are the toughest SOB I've ever met." I am convinced now why Ricky retired, he was just absolutely ABUSED for 2 years with too many carries.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
A question, a lot of us seem to believe DG will NOT give up a pick for a RB, are people OK with that?

if I thought we could get a Fargas or Hollings for a 2nd rounder or a McGahee for a #1 I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just don't see the point if worrying about how high NEXT year's pick might be. There's no guarantee that pick will be any better than the RB we could trade for.

If we keep this RB stable I think Josh is going to get killed. As someone else said it will delay his development.

If Green is happy with our rb (i don't understand why) I won't second guess him. I would not be held hostage for a marginal rb. Draft choices are too precious to give away especially in our situation where most believe we are not contenders for the playoffs.
As far as the rb's you mentioned, I don't think those clubs are going to be to anxious to deal away their #2 back who could arguably be their starter.
Either way, I don't think a trade would be made until after the final cuts. Green will want to sift the waiver wire. If he can get a guy that fits his mold for nothing then why go out and pay for one.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Off topic, I was watching ESPN 2 showing the Dolphins season highlights, it was essentially the Ricky Williams show. After one game where had like 40 carries his teammates were coming up to him one by one saying stuff like "i can't believe you did that, you should go into the Hall of Fame on this one game, you are the toughest SOB I've ever met." I am convinced now why Ricky retired, he was just absolutely ABUSED for 2 years with too many carries.

Russ I agree but then again Green is a really bad box on this. I think he likes Shipp more than he shows by demoting him and that he is waiting to see how he comes back before he pulls the trigger on a trade that we would most likely get the worst of.

Priest Holmes himself wouldn't be very effective because there are no holes to run through. The problem isn't just our backs it is our line blocking.

Some of this will disapear in the regular season because right now we are being very conservative on offense on purpose. Green is not showing much of anything to the Rams and he shouldn't.

With the starting three WR's in there the holes will be there because Green will back the D's down by throwing first and then run through them when they don't expect it.

Green isn't able to nor is he really trying to do that now. I think Josh S will be our best back because if he gets by the first waive he can break it and he won't get that opportunity until the other teams start growing really tired of us driving up the field using the pass almost at will.

We have so many holes Green is hoarding draft picks and I almost agree with him.

Almost, cause I'd do your trades in a heartbeat myself but then again what do I know.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think that the Cardinals are running many of the same plays that they ran last year because it was easier than trying to install a totally new system

Meanwhile Green & Co. are getting the team up to speed on the playbook for the real offense that we'll see in September.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Russ I agree but then again Green is a really bad box on this. I think he likes Shipp more than he shows by demoting him and that he is waiting to see how he comes back before he pulls the trigger on a trade that we would most likely get the worst of.

Priest Holmes himself wouldn't be very effective because there are no holes to run through. The problem isn't just our backs it is our line blocking.

Absolutely true but early on last night there WERE some holes, Emmitt just couldn't get there fast enough. If he's starting, that's going to be the deal all year.

The Raiders were blitzing and playing up because of our Wr situation which will obviously get better. I would just love to have a RB who could burn them for doing that.

But the point made by slanidrac 16 about other teams unwilling to trade backups, and with good reason, the Vikings have as deep a RB group as any NFL team but suddenly Bennett is iffy for the opener, Smith is going to be suspended and they're down to Moe Williams and Larry Ned.

The guys I mention, Hollings, McGahee, Jordan are carefully selected, guys with talent who are apparently unhappy with their current situations, doesn't mean their teams will trade them, but they have some incentive. Jordan as now a #3 rb would command a lower pick, maybe a 3rd.

I guess my point is if we hold the picks, and then pick a RB, do we really know that RB is going to be any better than these guys?

not saying they're available but I just wonder what's going to pop out of the waiver wire?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Absolutely true but early on last night there WERE some holes, Emmitt just couldn't get there fast enough. If he's starting, that's going to be the deal all year.

The Raiders were blitzing and playing up because of our Wr situation which will obviously get better. I would just love to have a RB who could burn them for doing that.

But the point made by slanidrac 16 about other teams unwilling to trade backups, and with good reason, the Vikings have as deep a RB group as any NFL team but suddenly Bennett is iffy for the opener, Smith is going to be suspended and they're down to Moe Williams and Larry Ned.

The guys I mention, Hollings, McGahee, Jordan are carefully selected, guys with talent who are apparently unhappy with their current situations, doesn't mean their teams will trade them, but they have some incentive. Jordan as now a #3 rb would command a lower pick, maybe a 3rd.

I guess my point is if we hold the picks, and then pick a RB, do we really know that RB is going to be any better than these guys?

not saying they're available but I just wonder what's going to pop out of the waiver wire?

I do not think this time it is for any other reason than the right deal has not been forthcomming. It'd be nice if we could pull off a Marshall Faulk or Priest Holmes type trade but then again that happens how often?

This team is so talent sparse that we have no one we can deal and we are down to just picks to do it with. With a few more years of drafting the best player available we'd have more bait but right now the fridge isn't to well stocked. Moldy ham sandwich and a jug of water sitting in there, not many takers for that.

The rumors about us wanting the Chicago back means people are trying. The problem is that they have fans and GM's just like we do and they are constantly judged on what they get so they ask too much and until the last minute nothing much moves.

The last week before the season after final cuts should be about the time something comes up if it will.

spanky1

Reaction score
My choice would be a 2nd rounder for Ron Dayne.......especially the Dayne that seems to have come to play this year.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let's not forget that our rushing game was facing Ted Washington and Co., not many folks have success running the ball against this type of line. I don't see our running game in a crisis, yet.