OT Jalen Hurts and Jalen Reagor

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Reagor pre draft thought he was a late 1st to early 2nd rounder. The Eagles picked him over a bunch of guys including Jefferson so they screwed up.

Hurts had a horrible game yesterday but twice in the last minute Reagor had a chance to win the game and didn't hold on. The first one was a 50 yard heave the DB was all over him it was arguably PI but the ball was there and Reagor just couldn't catch it due to the DB contact. on 4th down Hurts threw to Reagor again, he stepped up and I think he surprised Jalen because he threw a whiffle ball it had nothing on it. Reagor wasn't in the end zone he would have caught it inside the 1 and had to fight to get in, score was 13-7 Giants and I think it was the last play of the game no matter what, Reagor jumped and the ball glanced off his hands. Again I think the main issue was the ball wasn't thrown as hard as you expect and it was like a change up it surprised him but NFL Wr's have to catch that it hit him in the hands he has to come down with it and his coach said as much.

Anyways today there are calls to bench Hurts for Minshew, but also lots of calls to bench Reagor if not outright cut him. 2nd year former first rounder. Sirianni said he won't bench him so clearly not planning on cutting him now but seems like they're going to try and trade him, get no offers and might wind up cutting him this offseason.

I would not trade for him but if he's released I'd seriously consider bringing him in for a look I think he's a classic case of a guy who's just not a good fit with an offense. First off the Eagles are running the ball like crazy now because that's all Hurts does well, the pass game features Smith and Goedert, what Reagor does well is get deep, what Hurts does worst is throw the deep ball, so it's a bad fit. Kyler throws a great deep ball and if we can't keep AJ Green and can't readily get a replacement in FA I think it would be interesting to take a flyer on Reagor. I don't watch a ton of Eagles games but I've seen at least 4 plays this year where Reagor is wide open deep and the ball is underthrown, 2 of them became long PI's the other 2 one got picked one was incomplete. Eagles fans can't stand the guy but you do see some of them who say the same thing, he's open deep pretty often, Hurts just can't get him the ball.

And he can return punts

Just a file away for the offseason

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The staff can gain some intelligence from ERTZ. He would know what kind of WR he is and if he would be a good fit in this system and locker room

Yeah and again it won't happen until the offseason so no rush and I would prefer we retain Green at a fair price, although obviously we have to keep Kirk first.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Some think Roseman is a genius. They have a good offensive line but ......

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some think Roseman is a genius. They have a good offensive line but ......

That's the thing for 2 years people have been sayign the Eagles OL is one of the worst they've ever seen. Then they start running the ball and suddenly they have a great OL. It was bad because first Wentz and then Hurts were QB's and they were holding the ball forever because the Eagles have young, fast Wr's and it makes sense to try and get the ball downfield. Smith has been quite good, Goedert looks legit, they have Quez Watkins, Reagor and some others. The issue is really how bad Hurts is throwing the ball downfield.

Statistically he's one of if not the worst passing QB in the league on 3rd down, all he does well on 3rd down is run the ball. He's gotten better, he isn't taking as many sacks although still half his attempts this year he held the ball longer than 2.5 seconds.

I don't know the current stat but in mid Oct he had completed only 11.5% of his passes that went over 20 yards, which was 17th in the NFL and if you took out one game where he had several big broken plays he would have been 3rd to last in the entire NFL. He doesn't throw over the middle, we used to make that comment on Kyler but Hurts is MUCH worse at that. Of his first 208 attempts, only 6 of them , just under 3%, were between the hash marks, and he's 3 inches taller than Kyler it's not the height he just doesn't trust himself to throw over the middle, which btw is a big reason they finally traded Ertz he was being wasted. The over 20 yards thing goes directly to his issues with Reagor, that's what Reagor does well get open deep, but he's averaging 8 yards per catch because almost all of his catches are short balls where the DB backs off, the deep balls are almost always underthrown. At the point those stats were taken he had 40% of the Eagles rush attempts and 87% of their yards(rushing and passing) but the coach Sirianni said that more than half of the plays were "improvised" and he wanted to get that figure down to 30 to 40%. he doesn't mean audibles at the LOS he means they run the play and Hurts just goes off on a tangent, usually running. In their loss to Tampa Bay it was reported 64% of the plays Hurts improvised, and several of those plays the primary read was open, sometimes wide open but Hurts didn't throw the ball.

Reagor has been terrible but it's not hard to see why. Almost half his yards this year are after the catch because the only completions are short balls. his longest pass play this year is 24 yards, and again he's open deep regularly he just doesn't get the ball, or last game catch the ball when he does. I saw something on Smith over the weekend that was like the AJ Green stat last year, the number of uncatchable balls thrown to Smith over 20 yards is the highest ratio of any Wr in the NFL. Smith was so mad during the Giants game that he threw his helmet after a series and then got into a shouting match with the coach over lack of targets. and that was a day after on Twitter he asked why do we check so much at the LOS? That of course is a reference to how often Hurts is now calling audibles to run plays when they actually call a pass play. Eagles followers say that Smith is furious with the offense, more at the coach so far than Hurts but you get the impression that Sirianni is taking the heat for Hurts

I fully expect Reagor to change teams and he might not be the only one.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm gonna pass Russ. I've seen enough. I'd rather give Andy the opportunity. (Imagine that)

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna pass Russ. I've seen enough. I'd rather give Andy the opportunity. (Imagine that)

That was actually my next suggestion if they don't cut him in the offseason, offer them Isabella for him straight up. That's only if we have trouble retaining Kirk and Green or replacing Green with another outside guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose