Vikings (History)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Athelstan will be missed. Probably will show up in flashbacks and dream scenes. On to Paris or back to Wessex?

Since Ragnar killed that survivor of the Wessex slaughter, you have to think it was because he's become so obsessed with attacking Paris he wants nothing to derail it.

One of the things I love about this show. They don't spell out reasons for the actions of their characters at times. It's up to you to guess why or what was the motive behind it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Ragnar killed that survivor of the Wessex slaughter, you have to think it was because he's become so obsessed with attacking Paris he wants nothing to derail it.

One of the things I love about this show. They don't spell out reasons for the actions of their characters at times. It's up to you to guess why or what was the motive behind it.

I think some of it is implied through how they present the culture to the audience. The Vikings were about raiding, survival and not afraid to die. However, you are right...I don't think they treat the audience like a dummy and let you figure out things yourself.

I was really surprised how good this show is. I love it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

IMO he also did not want extra backlash on his buddy.... Floki was building up support for his anti Christian views, .. especially after dude tossed his arm band...
having Ragnar's "Christian friends" betray him right away would have sent that crowd over the edge.....as it turned out Floki was already over the edge, lol.

IMO part of the reason Ragnar is so obsessed with Paris is due to the stories he was told about the great churches...... Ragnar has shown himself to be quite open minded for a barbarian

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO he also did not want extra backlash on his buddy.... Floki was building up support for his anti Christian views, .. especially after dude tossed his arm band...
having Ragnar's "Christian friends" betray him right away would have sent that crowd over the edge.....as it turned out Floki was already over the edge, lol.

IMO part of the reason Ragnar is so obsessed with Paris is due to the stories he was told about the great churches...... Ragnar has shown himself to be quite open minded for a barbarian

Agreed. On the surface it appears it appears to be all about not derailing going to Paris. Maybe that was a factor but it mostly about protecting his friend Athlestan. He knew if word got out on top of his religion issue, he was probably dead.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, that makes sense and that didn't cross my mind.

I think we are heading for a huge showdown between Ragnar and Floki at some point. It's hard to see how they can coexist at this point.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely loosely based on history. I mean, did Ragnar really exist or is he just a legend based on oral accounts? I believed he was married 3 times. I like Lagertha - she kicks butt and takes no prisoners.

He is like the Viking version of King Arthur. Probably a combination of a few real people with some myth stuff thrown in.

Now, all of his sons are actual historical figures.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I liked the way they wove in the baby, Alfred the Great, and tied it to Athelstan.

You know, I don't think Ragnar will take any revenge against Floki. I think he understands that Floki was jealous of the priest and acted irrationally. He now seems to want to show his appreciation for his old friend, whom he still needs.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Oh, and Rollo - historically his account is off by at least 85 yrs, lol

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the way they wove in the baby, Alfred the Great, and tied it to Athelstan.

You know, I don't think Ragnar will take any revenge against Floki. I think he understands that Floki was jealous of the priest and acted irrationally. He now seems to want to show his appreciation for his old friend, whom he still needs.

I don't think so. I think putting him in charge of the attack is a setup to get rid of him. He defied Ragnar. He won't get away with it, IMO.

We'll see.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. I think putting him in charge of the attack is a setup to get rid of him. He defied Ragnar. He won't get away with it, IMO.

We'll see.

Yup. Ancient history version of The Peter Princple. Or Ragnar frags him during battle.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Everything Ragnar does is very calculated. Notice how many times he simply watched from the Great Hall how others interacted with each other. Later it comes out he was one step ahead or knew something was not what it appeared.

The way he looked at Floki and his smurk when he put Floki in charge? There is something else going on. I think Floki gets his.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
The way he looked at Floki and his smurk when he put Floki in charge? There is something else going on.QUOTE]

Speaking of smirks, is it just me or does Fimmel annoy others with his weird smirks, and eye rolls? Even when he was doing the burial, he had a weird smile that seemed totally inappropriate given the circumstances. Don't really care for his acting.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The way he looked at Floki and his smurk when he put Floki in charge? There is something else going on.QUOTE]

Speaking of smirks, is it just me or does Fimmel annoy others with his weird smirks, and eye rolls? Even when he was doing the burial, he had a weird smile that seemed totally inappropriate given the circumstances. Don't really care for his acting.

I like his smirks. He maybe doing a little to much this season but that's what made his character so cool.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of smirks, is it just me or does Fimmel annoy others with his weird smirks, and eye rolls? Even when he was doing the burial, he had a weird smile that seemed totally inappropriate given the circumstances. Don't really care for his acting.[/QUOTE]Actually I don't mind them because a big part of the character is that he doesn't see eye to eye on a great many things. He appears to be a step ahead and sometimes sees things the others don't see.

I love his portrayal.

Last edited:

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
History tells us the Vikings never took Paris. That's why they ended up in Normandy. I'll be curious to see if they adhere strictly to historical events, or take creative license.

And Rollo's story hasn't started to unfold yet - Bear, meet Princess. :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
History tells us the Vikings never took Paris. That's why they ended up in Normandy. I'll be curious to see if they adhere strictly to historical events, or take creative license.

And Rollo's story hasn't started to unfold yet - Bear, meet Princess. :)

El wrongo. The vikings most definitely sacked Paris. Look it up :)

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Sounds almost like they combined both attacks of Paris into one episode.

You are right - they did sack Paris in 845, but didn't stay - they took the money and ran. Then in 885 (which visually describes the last episode) they were not successful.

bridges were ordered built across the Seine at Pîtres and in Paris, where two were built, one on each side of the Île de la Cité. These would serve admirably in the siege of 885.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Paris_(845)

This link has a very good account of Ragnar's raid of Paris:

http://www.janson.no/en/spotlighten/item/389-the-siege-of-paris-year-845

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I reiterate even though the series runs on history, most of it is fabricated.

Ragnar sons are all wrong for instance. The timeline of events is wrong too.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I reiterate even though the series runs on history, most of it is fabricated.

Ragnar sons are all wrong for instance. The timeline of events is wrong too.

Ha .. never saw your original post, but I am finding out now, lol.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sounds almost like they combined both attacks of Paris into one episode.

You are right - they did sack Paris in 845, but didn't stay - they took the money and ran. Then in 885 (which visually describes the last episode) they were not successful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Paris_(845)

This link has a very good account of Ragnar's raid of Paris:

http://www.janson.no/en/spotlighten/item/389-the-siege-of-paris-year-845

Yeah, to say they play fast and loose with the history is an understatement :) I love that it inspires these discussions though.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, to say they play fast and loose with the history is an understatement :) I love that it inspires these discussions though.

Yeah, they could do as accurate a documentary as possible..... and hardly anyone will watch it.

It's not good TV (at least if you want a bigger audience) for this part of the story to be, "Well, they attacked Paris and got paid, everyone who did that died, and then these other Viking dudes tried again about 45 years later but failed."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson