Vikings (History)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who gives a damn? This is entertainment. I think it's cool that they are pulling from history even if not exactly. I don't watch shows like this to compare to history books. It's a damn good show.

By the way...at least we know what Ragnar is thinking about Floki now.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Ragnar ends up banishing Floki to Iceland?

Looks like Ragnar is going to heaven, and Floki is still going to be around, if the promo for the last episode of the season can be taken at it's word. :(

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Ragnar is going to heaven, and Floki is still going to be around, if the promo for the last episode of the season can be taken at it's word. :(

I think what were seeing is some fancy editing. I wouldn't take much stock in it just yet. However, Ragnar is really messed up but maybe we should take it at face value.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what were seeing is some fancy editing. I wouldn't take much stock in it just yet. However, Ragnar is really messed up but maybe we should take it at face value.

Well, if they really take the show as far as the discovery of America, then basically all these characters have to die.

To me, with his baptism being witnessed by all the big shots, and the scene with the missionary back in Kattegat, I think it's pretty clear he can't be king much longer even if he doesn't die from these wounds.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if they really take the show as far as the discovery of America, then basically all these characters have to die.

I don't disagree but the narrative seems to be from Ragnar's point of view. That kind of thing makes for a series finale IMO. This is a great show but it simply would be a major blow to me without Ragnar in it. I am not sure I would be as interested without that character which is probably the main reason I watch the show.

Although it would be pretty ballsy to kill of your main lead and try to continue. I just don't think they could have hidden this. Every time someone leaves a show it comes out...I have tried searching for some confirmation he is leaving and I can't find anything other than fan speculation.

Last but not least I don't think it's coincidental Aslaug sentencing the missionary to death was thrown in there from a storyline perspective. It's seems completely random if your killing off Ragnar. I think they are setting up a confrontation with Rangar's new found Christianity, the killing of the missionary and Aslaug.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree but the narrative seems to be from Ragnar's point of view. That kind of thing makes for a series finale IMO. This is a great show but it simply would be a major blow to me without Ragnar in it. I am not sure I would be as interested without that character which is probably the main reason I watch the show.

Although it would be pretty ballsy to kill of your main lead and try to continue. I just don't think they could have hidden this. Every time someone leaves a show it comes out...I have tried searching for some confirmation he is leaving and I can't find anything other than fan speculation.

Last but not least I don't think it's coincidental Aslaug sentencing the missionary to death was thrown in there from a storyline perspective. It's seems completely random if your killing off Ragnar. I think they are setting up a confrontation with Rangar's new found Christianity, the killing of the missionary and Aslaug.

We'll see I guess. If it does end for Ragnar here, then I agree that is a letdown as no one else quite has his charisma. I would still watch it next season, but it would be a giant hole going forward.

BTW, Alfred the Great and Ivar the Boneless do battle as Kings eventually. So, that is clearly being set up.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see I guess. If it does end for Ragnar here, then I agree that is a letdown as no one else quite has his charisma. I would still watch it next season, but it would be a giant hole going forward.

BTW, Alfred the Great and Ivar the Boneless do battle as Kings eventually. So, that is clearly being set up.

Yep, I did read that when researching some history. Although, I think that would be a PERFECT ending. One chapter ends and the new chapter begins. I don't think the audience needs to see that necessarily other than a short flash forward at the end of the series. Sort of like the ending of Braveheart where King Edward takes over the mantel for Scottland's freedom.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I, for one, would actually prefer Rollo taking over as lead character. I think his story is much richer and complex.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, for one, would actually prefer Rollo taking over as lead character. I think his story is much richer and complex.

Meh...Rollo is one of my favorite characters but he doesn't get more complex than his storyline with his betrayal of Ragnar.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Will Ragnar die? I think if he doesn't, that christian that his wife decided to have killed will be in the mix when he gets home.

Do you think Ragnar knows floki killed Afalstan?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will Ragnar die? I think if he doesn't, that christian that his wife decided to have killed will be in the mix when he gets home.

Do you think Ragnar knows floki killed Afalstan?

Exactly. What is the point of killing the Christian if you are going to kill of Ragnar? That doesn't make sense and seems like a totally random plot. It's a setup IMO for next season.

I have no doubt Ragnar knows Floki killed Afalstan. If anything, the writers have made it clear that if anything Ragnar is very perceptive and observant about what goes on around him. Through the series he continually seems to know more than he lets on.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think he knows to. He is just waiting for the moment to let him know in some way. Not sure if he will kill him, as Floki is a big part of the cast. They didn't show much of anything in the preview for the season finally. Looks like the storm the castle again. In the legend, Ragnar ends up becoming a prisoner of Paris and dies in jail or is executed. I hope they don't follow that legend as I want this show to go on for alot longer then one more season and it need to have Ragnar in it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh...Rollo is one of my favorite characters but he doesn't get more complex than his storyline with his betrayal of Ragnar.

Well, there is all kind of innuendo in the last couple of episodes that Rollo and the French princess (what's her name?) are going to wind up together somehow. What would that lead to? The establishment of what will become Normandy?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, there is all kind of innuendo in the last couple of episodes that Rollo and the French princess (what's her name?) are going to wind up together somehow. What would that lead to? The establishment of what will become Normandy?

So true. She does seem to look as if she is very interested in him and also the general was very interested in him as well. Does Paris become the next Wessex? Does Ragnar want to just be a farmer or still wants to conquer other cities?

That's another thing, so in Wessex, are all the vikings/pagans dead and gone or just that one farming town the attacked or are there are others still around Wessex?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh no doubt. Noticed that too but that is more of a side plot and I am not sure it makes his character anymore complicated. Where compared to Ragnar, dude is such a complex character.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I think it's crystal clear that they're setting up a season surrounding the Christianizing of the Vikings.

Which is what happened (historically) with Rollo, and his descendants go on to become Kings of England. I hope they follow that plot line - seems more interesting than the legend of Ragnar.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is what happened (historically) with Rollo, and his descendants go on to become Kings of England. I hope they follow that plot line - seems more interesting than the legend of Ragnar.

Oh I don't know about that. The story goes Ragnar's sons were so desperate to live up to their fathers legend they conquer and succeed in many territories. Ragnar's sons pillage in England, Wales, France and Italy.

In essense his exploits and his sons go on to divide several places through the region with their decedents becoming English, Danish and Norwegian kings.

They are both interesting in their own right but obviously Viking ancestry ingrained itself throughout British history including the royal families.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he knows to. He is just waiting for the moment to let him know in some way. Not sure if he will kill him, as Floki is a big part of the cast. They didn't show much of anything in the preview for the season finally. Looks like the storm the castle again. In the legend, Ragnar ends up becoming a prisoner of Paris and dies in jail or is executed. I hope they don't follow that legend as I want this show to go on for alot longer then one more season and it need to have Ragnar in it.

There are two legends about Ragnar's death I have read:

1) Like the one you mention, he dies of disease. He brings home a giant load of riches from Paris. But, he dies of dysentery. Apparently, "Lothbrok" means "leather-legged" which is what victims looked like due to the diarrhea.

0r

2), He is captured by King Aielle and thrown into a pit of snakes. After a shipwreck, Aielle captures him. BTW, the Aiell's snake pit was shown in Season 1.

So, I've always thought Ragnar will go by #2. It's dramatic TV for sure.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I thought that season finale kicked ass. Love how Bjorn stepped up big time, he's now a worthy successor in my mind.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Ok, I haven't watched it, but gonna read the recaps. I don't like surprises :)

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That whole Ragnar being "dead" and popping out of the coffin was pretty lame.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson