Vikings (History)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That whole Ragnar being "dead" and popping out of the coffin was pretty lame.

Do you know that is actually how the Vikings took a city once? But, it was in Sicily I think, not Paris.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That whole Ragnar being "dead" and popping out of the coffin was pretty lame.

It appears it's based on a historical tactic used by the Vikings and the Trojan Horse story. It wasn't too exciting and it did seem anti-climatic after the epic battles on previous episodes. Seems they could have made the battle that came after it the epic battle from a viewership perspective which would have made the episode that much better.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Came across this site, done by a Norwegian. I like the title "The Hall of Manly Excellence" LoL

He claims it was the Norwegians who were 'bad-ass" Vikings, and that even back then they knew the French were 'wussies." Battle of Hastings was basically the descendants of Vikings in Normandy, vs. the descendants of Vikings in England (I think that part is true).

Who knew the Norwegians had such a contested rivalry with the Danes and Swedes, lol.

http://manlyexcellence.com/2012/09/13/the-real-vikings-by-magnus-ver-sigmarsson/

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
For that article.

The Vikings later established a colony in Northern France which is still known as Normandie (Land of the North Men in French). This land was ceded to a Viking named Rollo in 911 in return of defense against other Viking raids….wow, typical French cowardice, giving the Vikings land and money to protect them from other Viking attacks!

Interesting! Seems like Rollo will end up fighting Ragnar. Damn I love this show!!

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Sigh .. I can't believe Rollo is (again) going to betray Ragnar.

I read somewhere there's going to be a spin-off in 2016 called "Valhalla" with some of the same characters. Anyone else heard that?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

I read somewhere there's going to be a spin-off in 2016 called "Valhalla" with some of the same characters. Anyone else heard that?

Cool, but I haven't heard of anything. Not sure if the name makes since to the living vikings though. Guess we will see.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe it's not what we think it appears to be? I just read that in history Rollo and the Vikings continued to sack Paris until reinforcements arrived. Rollo and his army were eventually were surrounded but they didn't want to fight the Vikings out of fear of mass casualties. They paid tribute to Rollo and his army in exchange for them moving down the river to Burgundy where he began raiding nearby towns and farms.

Eventually forces put a stop to the raiding but instead of continued fighting they signed a Feudal treaty with Rollo. He basically was later made a vessel to the King of France and given power of the lands he was given.

It will be interesting to see how they mix this in to the show. By historical accounts Rollo never returns home and becomes a ruler in his own right. It was rumored he did in fact marry Gisela the daughter of Charles III of France.

It doesn't appear that he "defended" Paris after all against other Vikings despite the initial agreement. So maybe he doesn't betray him again after all.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
That appears to be an April fools joke. Also, George Blagden (Athelstan) already joined a new show called “Versailles". He is already locked up.

Darn .. I was looking forward to Valhalla, lol

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rollo is a bigger figure in history than Ragnar is and it is Normandy that finally conquers England.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Came across this site, done by a Norwegian. I like the title "The Hall of Manly Excellence" LoL

He claims it was the Norwegians who were 'bad-ass" Vikings, and that even back then they knew the French were 'wussies." Battle of Hastings was basically the descendants of Vikings in Normandy, vs. the descendants of Vikings in England (I think that part is true).

Who knew the Norwegians had such a contested rivalry with the Danes and Swedes, lol.

http://manlyexcellence.com/2012/09/13/the-real-vikings-by-magnus-ver-sigmarsson/

Not only that, but King Harold II (Harold Godwinson) had to fight off an invasion by Harold Hardrada of Norway like a week before rushing south to try to fight at Hastings. Without that invasion, the Normans quite probably lose what ended up an extremely close battle at Hastings. Fascinating stuff, history.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not only that, but King Harold II (Harold Godwinson) had to fight off an invasion by Harold Hardrada of Norway like a week before rushing south to try to fight at Hastings. Without that invasion, the Normans quite probably lose what ended up an extremely close battle at Hastings. Fascinating stuff, history.

Love history. What makes me more intrigued are these movies/tv shows loosely based on it. Just makes me dive into it more as I never really looked into the Viking history until this show. Its fascinating to me!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Undoubtedly. We'll see just how far-flung this show gets. Bjorn raids the mediterranen. He is the one who pulls the coffin trick in Sicily. They even make it all the way to Constantinople.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, my TiVo quit recording the last couple minutes of the series ending show. Saw where the princess said when would give her virginity to a goat before she would to Rollo... cut to scene on ship when Ragnar motions Floki over to him...there it stops. Was there a anything of note that happened there? It's not on On Demand yet so I can't watch the final couple minutes... little help??

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know that is actually how the Vikings took a city once? But, it was in Sicily I think, not Paris.

It appears it's based on a historical tactic used by the Vikings and the Trojan Horse story. It wasn't too exciting and it did seem anti-climatic after the epic battles on previous episodes. Seems they could have made the battle that came after it the epic battle from a viewership perspective which would have made the episode that much better.

I understand that and am OK with the premise..

However them actually acting like he's dead and having Rolo and Lagatha and Flokey etc… All there actually crying and saying their goodbyes next to the coffin is lame and weak sauce IMO…

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that and am OK with the premise..

However them actually acting like he's dead and having Rollo and Lagatha and Flokey etc… All there actually crying and saying their goodbyes next to the coffin is lame and weak sauce IMO…

I think it was to show how Ragnar is an egomaniac. He let all of them fail, at the cost of many warriors, and then set it up where he got ALL the credit for conquering Paris. And, they clearly felt burned by it BECAUSE he knows their true feelings and gets all the glory AGAIN.

I read an interview with the creator of the show on EW and he says Ragnar held back at first to not be responsible for the many deaths the first attacks took. From Athelstan, he knew Paris could not be conquered by them with traditional attacks. So, he chose the Christian burial angle, as it was the DUTY of Christians at that time to bury other Christians on consecrated ground. Which he also learned from Athelstan.

Going into season 4, he's now put himself clearly above his rivals and clearly picked a successor. We'll see how it plays out.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, my TiVo quit recording the last couple minutes of the series ending show. Saw where the princess said when would give her virginity to a goat before she would to Rollo... cut to scene on ship when Ragnar motions Floki over to him...there it stops. Was there a anything of note that happened there? It's not on On Demand yet so I can't watch the final couple minutes... little help??

Sometimes I can't get all of the dialog with the accents, but I believe Ragnar told Floki " I know you killed Athelstan "
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/vikings-season-3-finale-review-160400114.html

And that anger may be rooted in Athelstan's death. Our parting gift from Season 3 was a bucket of gasoline on the fire of Ragnar's love for his dearly departed friend. As the Vikings sailed home from France, Ragnar called Floki over and revealed, "I know you killed Athelstan." We've always suspected that Ragnar knew the truth, but seeing it confirmed—and witnessing Floki's reaction—was a chilling way to say goodbye to Season 3.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Southpaw, that helped a lot.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
What a ride. I recently cranked through three seasons. It's gonna be rough waiting a year for another episode.

I love this show. It just got better and better. I think my favorite moment of the entire series is when Ragnar is talking with Egbert and they ask each other if they think they are "a good man". They both say yes. Then they ask each other "are you corrupt" and they both say yes with a smile.

LOL. Love it.

Great scene. I love when they slow things down with scenes like this. All the little smirks and body language say so much.

Athelstan will be missed. Probably will show up in flashbacks and dream scenes. On to Paris or back to Wessex?

What a loss, he was my favorite character. I loved watching him struggle with his beliefs.

Sometimes I can't get all of the dialog with the accents, but I believe Ragnar told Floki " I know you killed Athelstan "
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/vikings-season-3-finale-review-160400114.html

I wouldn't dare watch a show like this without subtitles.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a ride. I recently cranked through three seasons. It's gonna be rough waiting a year for another episode.

Great scene. I love when they slow things down with scenes like this. All the little smirks and body language say so much.

What a loss, he was my favorite character. I loved watching him struggle with his beliefs.

I wouldn't dare watch a show like this without subtitles.

Has the full third season been released somewhere? I've been waiting for it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave