Vikings (History)

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Um, no. You read something quite erroneous. It's based on a fictional, legendary character that barely has a kernel of history behind the legend. Some of the broad brush strokes are accurate, like the Vikings raiding Ireland and England, yes.

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

-Mel Gibson

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Um, no. You read something quite erroneous. It's based on a fictional, legendary character that barely has a kernel of history behind the legend. Some of the broad brush strokes are accurate, like the Vikings raiding Ireland and England, yes.

Ok, everything back that for can be considered hearsay, legend, but its based on those stories.

Look forward to this season!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone give me a brief description of what this show is like before I dive in? What does it compare to if anything that is on or has been on recently?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

This show came back with a bang. One of those episodes where I'm crying for more when it ends. Love it!

Fantastic battle at the end of it. Now, there are so many ways the story with the English can go (at least in the short term, history says the Vikings lose in 1066 just in time for the Normans to invade).

Also, did anyone notice if Horik's son was in this episode? Remember that Ragnar does spare him at the end of season 2 and I saw an interview with the director a while ago that said he will be back and that Ragnar made a "mistake" in sparing him.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
This popped up on my Hulu que and watched the first few episodes. It's ok. Lots of grunting, blood and gore, which I am not a big fan of.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just starting watching this. It's gets better with each episode. At first I thought it was a GOT wannabe. However, it's starting to carve out it's own identity and I like it so far. However, I am still only in Season 1.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Fantastic battle at the end of it. Now, there are so many ways the story with the English can go (at least in the short term, history says the Vikings lose in 1066 just in time for the Normans to invade).

Just a quick point to make. Normandy was settled by Viking invaders, becoming the Normans in the first half of the 10th Century.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this show. It just got better and better. I think my favorite moment of the entire series is when Ragnar is talking with Egbert and they ask each other if they think they are "a good man". They both say yes. Then they ask each other "are you corrupt" and they both say yes with a smile.

LOL. Love it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My favorite show! That was an awesome part Daren!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Also, did anyone notice if Horik's son was in this episode? Remember that Ragnar does spare him at the end of season 2 and I saw an interview with the director a while ago that said he will be back and that Ragnar made a "mistake" in sparing him.

Horick's son and Jarl Beorg's wife were both present.....coming to join the raid on France.
I mentioned to my ol'lady that Ragnar needs to keep his back covered, as all of his enemies are gathering in one place....

now, with Eddelstan dead,...and Floki on the down low....Ragnar has no true friends close...Rollo is too caught up in his own self pity right now. Next season will open with Ragnar being very vulnerable

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The show is only loosely based on history.

Based on history Ivar the Boneless is Ragnar's oldest son, and Bjorn Ironhide is one of the other sons.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Athelstan will be missed. Probably will show up in flashbacks and dream scenes. On to Paris or back to Wessex?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't ruin it for me. I haven't seen the last one. Crap....now I'm not looking forward on seeing what happens to him. :(

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't ruin it for me. I haven't seen the last one. Crap....now I'm not looking forward on seeing what happens to him. :(

Oh crap. I responded to his initial post. Sorry, we should be using spoiler tags. This was one of the most powerful episodes in the entire series IMO. I won't add to the spoilage but there is a certain character that I have both loved and hated at times and now I just flat out hate him. LOL.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh crap. I responded to his initial post. Sorry, we should be using spoiler tags. This was one of the most powerful episodes in the entire series IMO. I won't add to the spoilage but there is a certain character that I have both loved and hated at times and now I just flat out hate him. LOL.

If you haven't seen it, why come here? :shrug:

Just curious.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just curious.

I agree with him. Many people come to these forums to discuss episodes they have watched or the show in general. Heck, I popped in while playing catchup because I just discovered the show.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I finished season 1, started on season 2 where they've developed the characters more. I just fast-forward all the battle scenes, lol.

Definitely loosely based on history. I mean, did Ragnar really exist or is he just a legend based on oral accounts? I believed he was married 3 times. I like Lagertha - she kicks butt and takes no prisoners.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I agree with him. Many people come to these forums to discuss episodes they have watched or the show in general. Heck, I popped in while playing catchup because I just discovered the show.

Or to see if it's worth watching, based on comments :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finished season 1, started on season 2 where they've developed the characters more. I just fast-forward all the battle scenes, lol.

Definitely loosely based on history. I mean, did Ragnar really exist or is he just a legend based on oral accounts? I believed he was married 3 times. I like Lagertha - she kicks butt and takes no prisoners.

It appears he was an actual person in history who was probably romanticized to the point of becoming a legend.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/489597/Ragnar-Lothbrok

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Just curious.

I was kidding. I don't care. Doesn't ruin it for me if I know what happens. Will still enjoy it.

Wikipedia explains the legend pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar_Lodbrok

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson