Updated Timeline

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One thing is for certain, PHX will get Ayton & their PGOTF this offseason. The question is who is the PG? PHX has plenty of options:

#1 - Trade up to get another Top 10 pick and draft Young or Doncic if he stays in draft and drops out of Top 3.

#2 - Re-sign Payton or sign a young PG like Van Vleet.

#3 - Trade for a young PG like Kris Dunn or Jerian Grant

#4 - Draft a PG like Alexander or Brunson at #16.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing is for certain, PHX will get Ayton & their PGOTF this offseason. The question is who is the PG? PHX has plenty of options:

#1 - Trade up to get another Top 10 pick and draft Young or Doncic if he stays in draft and drops out of Top 3.

#2 - Re-sign Payton or sign a young PG like Van Vleet.

#3 - Trade for a young PG like Kris Dunn or Jerian Grant

#4 - Draft a PG like Alexander or Brunson at #16.

All good options.

I particularly like resigning Payton if any issues are resolved to the Suns satisfaction. He should be available for a reasonable contract. Of course if the Suns sign Young or Doncic they will likely move on.

Really liking Donte Divincenzo... maybe at #16.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The conspiracy thickens. If the Suns pick up the #4 pick, Duffy could manipulate enough to get Doncic to fall that far. If Sac or Atlanta takes him, then we just take Bamba, Bagley, Young, or even Porter and call it a day.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As long as we didn’t give up Jackson in this deal, I’d be ALL for that and then have Doncic screw with the Kings/Hawks enough to have him drop to us.

I know there’s a lot of people who think I “hate” Doncic, but that’s just not the case. The comparison of him to a Joe Johnson who’s a much better passer sounds pretty damn good and I CAN see that as his ceiling.

I just want Ayton more. That’s all.

If we could get them BOTH while keeping Booker and Jackson, I’d sell off whatever picks plus Warren to do it because a building base of Booker/Doncic/Jackson/Ayton could potentially be the next GS where you have elite athletes at needed positions and good to great passing from big Guards.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As long as we didn’t give up Jackson in this deal, I’d be ALL for that and then have Doncic screw with the Kings/Hawks enough to have him drop to us.

I know there’s a lot of people who think I “hate” Doncic, but that’s just not the case. The comparison of him to a Joe Johnson who’s a much better passer sounds pretty damn good and I CAN see that as his ceiling.

I just want Ayton more. That’s all.

If we could get them BOTH while keeping Booker and Jackson, I’d sell off whatever picks plus Warren to do it because a building base of Booker/Doncic/Jackson/Ayton could potentially be the next GS where you have elite athletes at needed positions and good to great passing from big Guards.
And I would do a complete 180 on McDonough, and maybe a 90 on Sarver.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now Atlanta is talking about wanting to move down. They all know the Doncic threatening not to come is a real thing. It makes the 2-4 picks real hot potatoes. You feel obligated to to take Doncic, but he does not want you. The rest of the picks through 8 (Mikal Bridges too) are about level. So if they can move down later, they can take Doncic if he slides, or take another player along with the assets they get in trade.

The dilemma in this for the Suns is if they try to trade for the #4, someone else (like Dallas) will try to move to the #2. I think Dallas would be an agreeable spot for Doncic.

Chess game going on. Actually it hasnt really started yet. But the board is being set up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now Atlanta is talking about wanting to move down. They all know the Doncic threatening not to come is a real thing. It makes the 2-4 picks real hot potatoes. You feel obligated to to take Doncic, but he does not want you. The rest of the picks through 8 (Mikal Bridges too) are about level. So if they can move down later, they can take Doncic if he slides, or take another player along with the assets they get in trade.

The dilemma in this for the Suns is if they try to trade for the #4, someone else (like Dallas) will try to move to the #2. I think Dallas would be an agreeable spot for Doncic.

Chess game going on. Actually it hasnt really started yet. But the board is being set up.

If the Suns are going to trade for Doncic they should not get cute. The price for the 2nd pick may have gone down. Everyone knows the Suns would draft Doncic at #2.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The plot thickens. Now the Kings telling people they are not taking Doncic. So now, what is the price for the third or fourth pick?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns take Ayton.
Kings take Bagley.
Atlanta takes Porter.
Memphis pick is for sale. Boston, Dallas, Phoenix all trying to buy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns take Ayton.
Kings take Bagley.
Atlanta takes Porter.
Memphis pick is for sale. Boston, Dallas, Phoenix all trying to buy.

When will Boston's cupboard be emptied? Even though they're running out of picks they can replenish things pretty easily with their young talent. You'd think most of their rotation players could fetch a future 1st and they could probably replace 2 or 3 guys without much issue. They had a 9 player turnaround over the last 2 seasons and next year they'll have Kyrie and Hayward back, allowing them to part with Rozier or Ojeleye.

Why couldn't we do something like that when it was the end of the Nash, Marion, Stoudemire run? Nash got us the most in return and he was essentially finished at that point, plus he was a free agent at that time. That has to speak to how bad our GM's were. Stoudemire should have been dealt when it was clear we weren't going to pay him the max to resign and Marion for Shaq was just awful.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When will Boston's cupboard be emptied? Even though they're running out of picks they can replenish things pretty easily with their young talent. You'd think most of their rotation players could fetch a future 1st and they could probably replace 2 or 3 guys without much issue. They had a 9 player turnaround over the last 2 seasons and next year they'll have Kyrie and Hayward back, allowing them to part with Rozier or Ojeleye.

Why couldn't we do something like that when it was the end of the Nash, Marion, Stoudemire run? Nash got us the most in return and he was essentially finished at that point, plus he was a free agent at that time. That has to speak to how bad our GM's were. Stoudemire should have been dealt when it was clear we weren't going to pay him the max to resign and Marion for Shaq was just awful.
Because the Nets could not gut their picks twice. Ainge turns all his picks into two. Takes Tatum and gets an extra pick for doing it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns didn't have the best GMs back then. I think this is where the Suns suffered the most. IMO, it set the Suns back years.

For awhile Sarver played GM as did D'Antoni. Babby, Blanks and Kerr were not star GMs.

That's why I am thankful for Ryan McDonough.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Suns didn't have the best GMs back then. I think this is where the Suns suffered the most. IMO, it set the Suns back years.

For awhile Sarver played GM as did D'Antoni. Babby, Blanks and Kerr were not star GMs.

That's why I am thankful for Ryan McDonough.
Do you really feel that McDonough is making the GM decisions? Or is it that he is Sarver's go-fer?

With our first ever #1 pick, this group has stumbled into success . . . unless they choose Doncic as #1.

I hope they don't blow it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course the GM is making the GM decisions. We get it, in your mind Sarver is the devil, or a lizzard person who controls everything. There is zero evidence of McD not making the GM decisions. None.

Well McD hasn't told Sarver to go to hell yet, which would cost him his job of course but that doesn't matter, and until he does that then he's just a yes man. It's quite clear if you pay attention.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well McD hasn't told Sarver to go to hell yet, which would cost him his job of course but that doesn't matter, and until he does that then he's just a yes man. It's quite clear if you pay attention.
dislike. no button for it,

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They tried. Apparently had an Amare for Stef trade all but done during his draft and GS backed out at the last second.

And Marion wasn’t there at the end of Nash/Amare. He was two and a half years long gone by then.

But yes, when Amare walked, Nash should have been dealt and there were a number of us who said so at the time only to be lambasted by others here convincing themselves that Hedo, Warrick and even Josh Childress we’re going to keep us competitive.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thread off track. The coulda woulda shoulda thread is like fifty pages back and on nearly every page in between. This is the Doncic, Duffy, conspiracy thread. So put your agent Mulder jackets on and get digging.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Thread off track. The coulda woulda shoulda thread is like fifty pages back and on nearly every page in between. This is the Doncic, Duffy, conspiracy thread. So put your agent Mulder jackets on and get digging.

Isn’t Duffy the agent for Ayton as well? :shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How is it “quite clear?”

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is it “quite clear?”

That comment was about what it would take for BC to accept that McD was a GM who made his own decisions rather than Sarver's yes man. When it comes to Sarver, all he says is how our GM needs to tell him to go count his money so he can do his job or that the GM needs to approach other owners to get Sarver's role as managing partner revoked.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That comment was about what it would take for BC to accept that McD was a GM who made his own decisions rather than Sarver's yes man. When it comes to Sarver, all he says is how our GM needs to tell him to go count his money so he can do his job or that the GM needs to approach other owners to get Sarver's role as managing partner revoked.
I guess it would take not reading about how the investor met with his GM and Head Coach daily to approve starting lineups or how he meets with potential Head Coaches without his GM. Etc., etc., etc.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you notices one name not mentioned anywhere by any Suns people?

Trae Young.

Doncic is just a smoke screen so McD can move up and grab Young.:shock:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard