Updated Timeline

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is getting crazy now. This simply can't all be coincidence.

March 30th - Billy Duffy does an interview for a European television station where he mentions only 2-3 situations where Doncic would go to. Mentions Kokoskov and the Suns in basically the same sentence with Doncic. He says if he was a magician he would make it happen.

At this time the Suns were not even known to be speaking to coaches let alone an agent basically saying that he is the Suns coach.

April 9th. Gambo who literally said on twitter that he only works with inside information runs down Doncic on the air saying he is immature and unliked by his teammates.

April 13th. Sarver attends Doncic's game without any other Suns scouts or GMs. He is only discovered to be there because a European reporter recognizes him.

April 29th Sarver has a one on one interview with 2 hours with Kokoskov without the GM or other Suns representatives.

May 2nd Kokoskov is unofficially named the Suns head coach

May 14th Kokoskov introduced as Suns head coach officially

May 15th the Suns with the lottery and the #1 pick.

May 16th. Gambo says that it 100% a lock the Suns draft Ayton. Asked if it is gut or factual knowledge and he says he never works from the gut.

May 16th. Gambo again runs down Doncic on his show inexplicably

May 16th. Suns GM heads to the Euro Four to scout Doncic

May 17th. Doncic announces he may stay longer in Europe

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am missing one or two things in April when I brought this up originally.

My original premise was that the Suns were not aligned in who to pick.

Never occurred to me that the Suns might try to do both with the help of an agent.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Doncic says he will stay for two years in Europe, how far does he fall? Leave the Suns completely out of it. Which is the team that passes on the existing talent in this draft to maybe get Doncic in two years?

The team that is first guaranteed to take him is probably Philly, just because they can afford to.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Didn’t Jim Jackson refuse to play for Dallas but they drafted him anyway and he didn’t report to the team for like 9 months. It’s obviously a different situation with Doncic’s Euroleague connection but someone will probably call his bluff.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Doncic says he will stay for two years in Europe, how far does he fall? Leave the Suns completely out of it. Which is the team that passes on the existing talent in this draft to maybe get Doncic in two years?

The team that is first guaranteed to take him is probably Philly, just because they can afford to.

Honestly... I think it would be Dallas at #5.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Didn’t Jim Jackson refuse to play for Dallas but they drafted him anyway and he didn’t report to the team for like 9 months. It’s obviously a different situation with Doncic’s Euroleague connection but someone will probably call his bluff.
But then there is Steve Francis who did get his way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Could be similar to the David Robinson situation in that a team might be willing to wait for him.

However, if a team wants to draft him early they have to realize they might have to trade him even after waiting a couple of years... and at less value.

This is a real risk for a team drafting early to take. Hopefully the Suns might be able to put a killer deal to move into the top 9.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Someone will but I really doubt in a loaded draft someone just burns an early pick on him. He will get drafted no matter what he says but it won't be where he should be

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still blown away that his agent basically called Kokoskov our coach a month before it was announced. Said he wants Doncic on the team and then said "If I was a magician I would make it happen"

Like real live Arli$$ stuff

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jayson Williams refused to play for the Suns.

He did visit a Suns camp in street clothes. If I had his Suns basketball card I could have had him sign it. It would be a rarity today.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could be similar to the David Robinson situation in that a team might be willing to wait for him.

However, if a team wants to draft him early they have to realize they might have to trade him even after waiting a couple of years... and at less value.

This is a real risk for a team drafting early to take. Hopefully the Suns might be able to put a killer deal to move into the top 9.
Players sell tickets. You lose that revenue for two years. The most important thing to remember is that there are a LOT of good players in this draft. It is not like Doncic is clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the field. There are probably at least 8 who could easily be the best player in the draft when its all done. So why draft one and wait, when you can get another player that could be better right now?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I just realized today that philly could’ve had porzingas instead of Okafor but he refused to workout for them. My god...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK Chris. Here is more for your timeline. After the draft lottery, Woj talks to Duffy and Woj comes back reporting that Doncic is going to have leverage and he is going to try to dictate his destination. Seems to be the two factors are market and coach. So look at the lottery coaches and see which ones are the types that Doncic might like.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players sell tickets. You lose that revenue for two years. The most important thing to remember is that there are a LOT of good players in this draft. It is not like Doncic is clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the field. There are probably at least 8 who could easily be the best player in the draft when its all done. So why draft one and wait, when you can get another player that could be better right now?

It's a possibility.

When draft time comes around the Suns will have talks with other teams in the top 9.

If the Suns are interested in Doncic they will talk the format of a trade to a willing team... if he slides. It would be similar to the Suns trading for Chriss.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
For us, I don’t think this is an issue. Igor is here, which makes Phoenix a preferred destination for Doncic. It also muddies the waters because it means that the front office has a choice to make between he and Ayton.

Now, if Doncic says there’s even the slightest chance he stays in Europe, you pass on him and don’t think twice.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For us, I don’t think this is an issue. Igor is here, which makes Phoenix a preferred destination for Doncic. It also muddies the waters because it means that the front office has a choice to make between he and Ayton.

Now, if Doncic says there’s even the slightest chance he stays in Europe, you pass on him and don’t think twice.

See I think it opens the door for Ayton at 1 and a Doncic fall. Suns trade up and get him

TJ

Reaction score
See I think it opens the door for Ayton at 1 and a Doncic fall. Suns trade up and get him

Depends on how far he tumbles. If he gets picked in the Top-5, that would take at least three 1s and a player. Even with Ayton, I’m not 100% convinced we’ll be in the playoffs and will need another chance at the lottery in 2019

TJ

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I would rather have Bagley than Doncic

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how far he tumbles. If he gets picked in the Top-5, that would take at least three 1s and a player. Even with Ayton, I’m not 100% convinced we’ll be in the playoffs and will need another chance at the lottery in 2019

I'd go Bender or Chriss plus the 16 this season and the future Miami and Milwaukee picks without hesitation. I'd do it for Young too. I'd probably throw in an additional future number 1 but I'd want it well protected or at least a few years down the road. I don't anticipate a playoff appearance in Ayton's rookie season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I would rather have Bagley than Doncic

I'd rather have Doncic or Young than Bagley, if we're taking on a likely defensive sieve then I'd want to get one that will make life for everyone on offense easier.

But there is no chance we can get Badley or Doncic (and keep Ayton) IMO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Doncic and his agent not only don’t meet with teams but flat out don’t answer calls or even acknowledge them, would they still draft him?

Can you take a guy in the top-5 that not only ignores you but has the option to stay in Europe unlike college prospects?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard