Update: David Johnson sits out, wants contract extension

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
he will be 27 at the end of the year, if he make a great season , i would franchise him and maybe on 2020 too
after that he will be 29/30, and rb doesnt get much money at that age
but he has a chnace to extend his careeer playing darren sproles role, playing rb, i mean running just few snaps for game
He's older but hasn't been used that heavily in his career, and has fresh legs after sitting out with last year's injury. I give him a four year deal with a team option for a 5th and call it a day, if it's up to me.

Much better than paying franchise costs and having to do the Leveon Bell dance every year where he's not with the team.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not great at remembering details but didn't he injure his knee towards the end of 2016 season? Missed the last couple games... Did rehab and was ready to go for 2017 and bam, the wrist happened. So, to my twisted mind he has had injuries that ended his first two years in the league. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Was the very last game of the season and
I have no problem with him holding out. Get your money David.

This 10000%

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we just watch a freakin' game without finding ourselves in the middle of yet another Perry Mason melodrama, wondering who's going to suit up or be on the sidelines each weekend?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'll never understand situations like this... From Keim and Michael's perspective, clearly they knew DJ was going to be seeking a long-term extension. Coming into this season, this shouldn't be a surprise at all, to anyone! So how then does the situation get to this point? Why the hell wouldn't Keim and Michael B. take care of this before the situation reaches the point where a key player, one that you KNOW should be part of this team for the next 4-5 years, feels his only option is to sit-out camp??
Just don't get it...

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll never understand situations like this... From Keim and Michael's perspective, clearly they knew DJ was going to be seeking a long-term extension. Coming into this season, this shouldn't be a surprise at all, to anyone! So how then does the situation get to this point? Why the hell wouldn't Keim and Michael B. take care of this before the situation reaches the point where a key player, one that you KNOW should be part of this team for the next 4-5 years, feels his only option is to sit-out camp??
Just don't get it...
It's easy to "take care of the situation" if you're willing to give in to every one of his agent's demands. But when each side is trying to get the best possible deal, brinksmanship will be played. Threatening to miss minicamp was leverage on the agent's side. Actually letting him miss it shows that Keim isn't willing to give in that easily. It's all part of the negotiation.

At this point, i wouldn't expect anything to get done until just before, or even past the start of training camp. The agent will want to use that leverage again, but this time knowing that Keim could call his bluff and no one really wants Johnson to miss training camp. I don't know who Johnson's agent is, but based on Keim's history, i'll bet the two sides reach agreement before any serious damage is done to Johnson's ability to be successful this season.

...dave

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Just don't get it...

Because per the CBA, this is the first offseason that DJ and the Cards could negotiate a contract.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Because per the CBA, this is the first offseason that DJ and the Cards could negotiate a contract.

So what? You're telling me the Cards were clueless as to what it would take to get a deal done with DJ? Freeman's contract alone should've provided a solid floor and comp for the Cards to offer DJ... Unless DJ is seeking things FAR and ABOVE Freeman's deal, which I highly doubt, I don't understand why the team let this situation get to this stage...

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll never understand situations like this... From Keim and Michael's perspective, clearly they knew DJ was going to be seeking a long-term extension. Coming into this season, this shouldn't be a surprise at all, to anyone! So how then does the situation get to this point?
Negotiations stall. It happens. We don’t know how long they have been talking numbers.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So what? You're telling me the Cards were clueless as to what it would take to get a deal done with DJ? Freeman's contract alone should've provided a solid floor and comp for the Cards to offer DJ... Unless DJ is seeking things FAR and ABOVE Freeman's deal, which I highly doubt, I don't understand why the team let this situation get to this stage...

There are a lot of layers to this situation, which make it more challenging than it would seem.

For starters, Johnson has been looking at Le'Veon Bell's contract situation because they're more similar in skillset than DJ and Freeman. Also, DJ is turning 27 and is likely going to want a contract that goes until he's 31 or 32 for financial security. That's a tough pill for any team to swallow, particularly when dealing with a running back who's suffered two significant injuries in three NFL seasons.

To be frank, this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Let DJ and Keim do their thing. I don't think the FO is ignorant to the situation. They have some leverage in the situation and are likely trying to bring the asking price and guaranteed dollars down before DJ gets back on the field and risks another injury, which would destroy his value.

We have like 5 weeks until TC starts. I'm not going to get worked up until he starts missing preseason games.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only player that has zero leg to stand on and is holding out is Julio Jones... That guy is a moron...

He just signed a five-year $72 million contract two years ago making him the highest paid wide receiver in the league and earned 40+ million in the first 2 years .... He still has three full years left on the deal and he’s holding out for a new one...

I mean really??? They were killing him on XM NFL radio this morning...

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Missing mini-camp really is nothing. He has been here for OTAs and has been learning the new system. Let's get this done so he is here for training camp.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
There are a lot of layers to this situation, which make it more challenging than it would seem.

For starters, Johnson has been looking at Le'Veon Bell's contract situation because they're more similar in skillset than DJ and Freeman. Also, DJ is turning 27 and is likely going to want a contract that goes until he's 31 or 32 for financial security. That's a tough pill for any team to swallow, particularly when dealing with a running back who's suffered two significant injuries in three NFL seasons.

To be frank, this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Let DJ and Keim do their thing. I don't think the FO is ignorant to the situation. They have some leverage in the situation and are likely trying to bring the asking price and guaranteed dollars down before DJ gets back on the field and risks another injury, which would destroy his value.

We have like 5 weeks until TC starts. I'm not going to get worked up until he starts missing preseason games.

For the most part I agree with you... DJ is only 4 months older than Freeman though and in terms of how they're used, I really don't see that much difference between the two them, as well as Bell. All three possess equal ability to be prolific runners and pass-catchers. All three are essentially the same age. Bell signed a one-year deal at $14.5 Million for this coming season. I don't see DJ going that route and I don't believe the Cards would want to see it go down that way. I could be way off, but I believe if the Cards were in the ballpark of Freeman's deal, an agreement would be quickly reached.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pads go on today. Injury risk for a weeks worth of work is not worth it. The Birds holds the cards on this one except this decision so DJ leverages what he has?

A word of warning to DJ, this organization learned two lessons recently (S,TE) not to be repeated. I’m worried the agent believes without DJ our offense will suck. He forgets it can such just as well without him at a much cheaper price.

By the time Rosin takes hold DJ might be long in the tooth thus our drafted RB this year. I’m going to put this brick down until there is game impact.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A word of warning to DJ, this organization learned two lessons recently (S,TE) not to be repeated. I’m worried the agent believes without DJ our offense will suck. He forgets it can such just as well without him at a much cheaper price.

Unfortunately his agent would be correct. Without DJ the Cardinals offense is an aging Fitz and a pile of trash.

David Johnson would be a total fool to play this season without a contract extension in hand.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is what pro sports have become and I have become immune to it. DJ needs to make his money and SK needs to get a fair deal so he can keep adding talent. This does answer why the Cards kept creating CAP space, they knew they had to get DJ extended this year and have been planning to do so. This is great news because it means they will get a deal done sooner than later, IMO.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This is what pro sports have become and I have become immune to it. DJ needs to make his money and SK needs to get a fair deal so he can keep adding talent. This does answer why the Cards kept creating CAP space, they knew they had to get DJ extended this year and have been planning to do so. This is great news because it means they will get a deal done sooner than later, IMO.

That cap space will also be needed to Deone and Golden as well... And all reports are that there will be more than enough room to extend those two, as well as DJ... So Keim and Mike B. - GET IT DONE!

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
David Johnson has played one season. I think it is ridiculous to even be discussing a hold out for him. He needs to get in camp and prove he is fully healed.
This reminds me of the Honey Badger situation. Signed him to a big contract extension before he even proved himself healthy after a major injury. How did that turn out?

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Johnson has played one season. I think it is ridiculous to even be discussing a hold out for him. He needs to get in camp and prove he is fully healed.
This reminds me of the Honey Badger situation. Signed him to a big contract extension before he even proved himself healthy after a major injury. How did that turn out?

First off DJ has played two full seasons (active in all 32 games) and has shown to be elite in both of those seasons. His last season was cut short with a freak wrist injury.

Next the HB injury situation is totally different from DJ. The HB had two completely torn up knees and extensive rehabs before signing his new contract. DJ had a sprained MCL that didn't require surgery and a dislocated wrist. Those injuries should have no impact on how DJ plays RB.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yea ummm no

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can we just watch a freakin' game without finding ourselves in the middle of yet another Perry Mason melodrama, wondering who's going to suit up or be on the sidelines each weekend?

It's a good thing that meaningful games don't start for another four months, then.

I'm behind DJ on this one. His career won't be too long and needs to squeeze out as much as possible.

But you were against Tyrann Mathieu, who did the same thing? I don't understand how that works.

First off DJ has played two full seasons (active in all 32 games) and has shown to be elite in both of those seasons. His last season was cut short with a freak wrist injury.

Next the HB injury situation is totally different from DJ. The HB had two completely torn up knees and extensive rehabs before signing his new contract. DJ had a sprained MCL that didn't require surgery and a dislocated wrist. Those injuries should have no impact on how DJ plays RB.

Yes, I don't really see how a wrist injury that kept him out of 15.75 games could impact the career of a guy who has 11 fumbles in 33 NFL games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard