Update: David Johnson sits out, wants contract extension

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't understand what the intent of contracts are if players demand new ones before that contract even ends.

So is a 4 year contract actually a 3 year contract? Is a 5 year contract actually a 4 year contract?

It doesn't work like this in any place other than the NFL. Even in the NBA, most players actually play out their contracts without missing mandatory team activities even before entering the last year of their contract.

And it certainly doesn't work like this away from sports in the real world.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I’m hoping for a sensible contract and that it happens before preseason starts. I have a feeling it will take about ten million a season. The sticking points will be guaranteed money and years. Although I’m leaning on a four year contract, I can see Johnson’s agent go for a two year deal so he can get a bigger contract then and Johnson will still be in his prime.

My reason for thinking this is his agent will want 15 million a season and the Cardinals will balk at that because he was injured all last season. So Johnson and his agent take a shorter deal to get another big contract later.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I’m hoping for a sensible contract and that it happens before preseason starts. I have a feeling it will take about ten million a season. The sticking points will be guaranteed money and years. Although I’m leaning on a four year contract, I can see Johnson’s agent go for a two year deal so he can get a bigger contract then and Johnson will still be in his prime.

My reason for thinking this is his agent will want 15 million a season and the Cardinals will balk at that because he was injured all last season. So Johnson and his agent take a shorter deal to get another big contract later.
he needs a long term deal now. in two years they will be looking at a 29 year old RB with most hitting a wall at 30

I agree with you on the 10mil...I think it is fair for all parties involved.

may expect a lot of the guaranteed money to be tied up in roster bonuses and such as that provides the team with some protection and flexibility

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think so too. This is all just part of negotiating.

Exactly. It's not like it's unheard of about guys blowing out knees in these OTAs. Frankly, if I am his agent AND progress is being made on deal (which I heard on the radio today), I would be derelict in my duty to David Johnson, my employer, if I DIDN'T tell him to skip practices until the deal is done. It would be like I found a car I really want, but want the best price too. Then, the dealer gives me his first number for the car and I say, "Ok, I will keep driving this car around the block while we negotiate the deal over cell phone." That would be stupid and crazy even if it worked out.

There's nothing nefarious, bad attitude, whatever, going on here. It's just business. Nothing personal against anyone.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Exactly. It's not like it's unheard of about guys blowing out knees in these OTAs. Frankly, if I am his agent AND progress is being made on deal (which I heard on the radio today), I would be derelict in my duty to David Johnson, my employer, if I DIDN'T tell him to skip practices until the deal is done. It would be like I found a car I really want, but want the best price too. Then, the dealer gives me his first number for the car and I say, "Ok, I will keep driving this car around the block while we negotiate the deal over cell phone." That would be stupid and crazy even if it worked out.

There's nothing nefarious, bad attitude, whatever, going on here. It's just business. Nothing personal against anyone.

Yep. I think that's why it wasn't reported as a holdout at first. He's staying out to avoid an injury before the deal is inked. I think one is done before TC. This will not be like the Donald situation.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Come on, man. Suit up. Show you're back to being the David Johnson of old and the contract situation will resolve itself very quickly.

And then he gets significantly injured in minicamp and is stuck signing Keim-Time special contracts the rest of his career, if he’s lucky.

It’s a business decision he’s making at a position that frankly doesn’t have the leverage it once had. For him, the risk of practicing without more than $1.8 million is that great.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of signing guys who are injured and haven’t proven the injury is healed ON THE FIELD.
Bad mistake with signing Badger when the docs said he was fine, but on the field it was a VERY different story.
DJ’s wrist may be healed but till he can take some hits and not fumble I’m not buying it and I sure as heck am not getting into another Badger top dollar deal.
Keim would be wise to hold off.
Johnson’s wrist injury was MAJOR and I’m very concerned about him fumbling this season.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I miss the players of old - like Junior Seau. He was once asked by a reporter if he planned to hold out for a better deal. He shot the idea down quickly and said he signed a contract and he would play it out. He then hinted that - obviously - he would be asking for more money the next time around.
Then he blew his brains out (RIP) after it was all said and done.

You’re not putting your body on the line. They are. They have every RIGHT to demand money to entertain fans like you who sit their and cheer them on. They are risking significant long-term health issues for the money, and this is the once in a life time chance to secure the bag for him and his family. This isn’t some primadonna stunt. This is securing his future.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. It's not like it's unheard of about guys blowing out knees in these OTAs. Frankly, if I am his agent AND progress is being made on deal (which I heard on the radio today), I would be derelict in my duty to David Johnson, my employer, if I DIDN'T tell him to skip practices until the deal is done.

I don't understand what the intent of contracts are if players demand new ones before that contract even ends.

So is a 4 year contract actually a 3 year contract? Is a 5 year contract actually a 4 year contract?

It doesn't work like this in any place other than the NFL. Even in the NBA, most players actually play out their contracts without missing mandatory team activities even before entering the last year of their contract.

NBA and MLB contracts are fully gauranteed. That's the reason why you see this type of thing in the NFL and not those other leagues. Let's, saw hypothetically, :stick:DJ blew an achilles today. He could actually not make even his salary for the 2018 season, much less get a new deal. I DONT think the Cards would do that to him, he's a big time player, but it does happen to guys in the NFL every year.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cardinals players back David Johnson’s decision to skip minicamp
TEMPE, Ariz. – It’s been a while since the Cardinals had contract-related drama during offseason workouts or training camp.

Team president Michael Bidwill and general manager Steve Keim have taken great pains to shed the issues that dogged this franchise for its first two-and-a-half decades in the Valley when high-profile disputes with players such as Anquan Boldin and Darnell Dockett tarnished the team’s public image.
http://arizonasports.com/story/1558...ack-david-johnsons-decision-to-skip-minicamp/

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Then he blew his brains out (RIP) after it was all said and done.

You’re not putting your body on the line. They are. They have every RIGHT to demand money to entertain fans like you who sit their and cheer them on. They are risking significant long-term health issues for the money, and this is the once in a life time chance to secure the bag for him and his family. This isn’t some primadonna stunt. This is securing his future.
He actually shot himself in the chest, preserving his brains...I know...symantics.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Teams can cut players any time in a contract so it goes both ways.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There are a lot of layers to this situation, which make it more challenging than it would seem.

For starters, Johnson has been looking at Le'Veon Bell's contract situation because they're more similar in skillset than DJ and Freeman. Also, DJ is turning 27 and is likely going to want a contract that goes until he's 31 or 32 for financial security. That's a tough pill for any team to swallow, particularly when dealing with a running back who's suffered two significant injuries in three NFL seasons.

To be frank, this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Let DJ and Keim do their thing. I don't think the FO is ignorant to the situation. They have some leverage in the situation and are likely trying to bring the asking price and guaranteed dollars down before DJ gets back on the field and risks another injury, which would destroy his value.

We have like 5 weeks until TC starts. I'm not going to get worked up until he starts missing preseason games.

I agree with many others that I don't mind DJ doing this, that he should hold out for his...to a point. I feel it is an absolute MUST for him to get it done before 2 things happen: Le'Veon Bell's contract situation is resolved and training camp starts. Since Bell isn't going to sign, if at all, by very late in TC or into the season, the FO should be fired if they don't manage to get the deal done by then.

Now, getting it done by TC might be more difficult, but it really needs done by then. This is a new coach and a new system, and Johnson's a young player and key cog in the offense. He needs to be there for t he duration.

I hope he gets his money and we get him on a reasonable deal and in camp on time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No.

Junior took his own life.

he didnt "have it ended"...nobody "did it to him"... he did it himself.
That’s discounting CTE too much. The disproportionate percentage of football players who committed suicide points to it being factors other than just “doing it to themselves.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But it works in the inverse too. NFL teams can cut a player for zero reason and not be on the hook for that contract (other than the guaranteed bonus) either. So these NFL contracts are really almost just gebtkemen’s Agreements beyond the guaranteed money.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree with many others that I don't mind DJ doing this, that he should hold out for his...to a point. I feel it is an absolute MUST for him to get it done before 2 things happen: Le'Veon Bell's contract situation is resolved and training camp starts. Since Bell isn't going to sign, if at all, by very late in TC or into the season, the FO should be fired if they don't manage to get the deal done by then.

Now, getting it done by TC might be more difficult, but it really needs done by then. This is a new coach and a new system, and Johnson's a young player and key cog in the offense. He needs to be there for t he duration.

I hope he gets his money and we get him on a reasonable deal and in camp on time.
David Johnson doesn’t deserve Le’Veon Bell money. Bells been better for longer.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But it works in the inverse too. NFL teams can cut a player for zero reason and not be on the hook for that contract (other than the guaranteed bonus) either. So these NFL contracts are really almost just gebtkemen’s Agreements beyond the guaranteed money.

But that's the point. The players know the amount of guaranteed money they are getting when they sign the deal. For all intents and purposes, they are signing the deal based on the guaranteed portion of it and nothing else. They know this going in. So if the player gets hurt and only plays two out of the 4 years, does he give back a portion of his guaranteed money? No.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn