Update: David Johnson sits out, wants contract extension

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
well.... duke johnson just got 5.2mil a year...

I am mixed on it really...but I would offer him 5/$50mil/$25milguar and be happy

he is so similar in play to bell who has been holding out for top wr money...we need to pay him as a top back/ mid wr...if we are going to pay him.... or just wait it out and tag him a couple times before we let him go

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ted-to-have-contract-extension-before-season/

Speculation, but since it's being reported that he will have a new contract this off season, it's possible the two sides are very close to a deal and his agent advised him to sit out for a couple days until the contract is signed, to avoid a freak injury that could jeopardize the negotiation

Boom. Nailed it!

Or perhaps a contract dispute? Wilks gave the canned response that Coaches use when a player is holding out during voluntary practices.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm kind of confused by these replies. Is Johnson signed to a new contract now and ready to participate in practice, or not?

Was he kinda doing a hold out for a new contract, or was he actually injured?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm kind of confused by these replies. Is Johnson signed to a new contract now and ready to participate in practice, or not?

Was he kinda doing a hold out for a new contract, or was he actually injured?

Sounds like an informal holdout.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unknown anal injury (butt-hurt)

Play your contract out and earn it, Until over-paid players start taking cuts en masse, I will never agree with players bitching about over-playing their contract.

You just missed an entire season due to a bum wrist... Suck it up sunshine.

A bum wrist likely caused in part by you listening to your wife's dietary requests and not consulting the team doctor.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
With him likely going to touch the ball 400+ times, he should push to get that contract now.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't blame the front office for being prudent. DJ is the man, but he does have an injury history.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did he have more than the dislocated wrist before?

I'm not great at remembering details but didn't he injure his knee towards the end of 2016 season? Missed the last couple games... Did rehab and was ready to go for 2017 and bam, the wrist happened. So, to my twisted mind he has had injuries that ended his first two years in the league. Please correct me if I am wrong.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not great at remembering details but didn't he injure his knee towards the end of 2016 season? Missed the last couple games... Did rehab and was ready to go for 2017 and bam, the wrist happened. So, to my twisted mind he has had injuries that ended his first two years in the league. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Two of his first three years — injures ended his first two seasons as a starter.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
When I think of injury prone, I think of pulled hammy, pecs, achilles, and other non-contact injuries, etc. Both of his injuries were freak occurrences with one (Rams game) a dirty play.

When you touch the ball 400 times you're a victim of the law of averages. Pay the man.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
DJ joins a couple of holds outs around the league during Mandatory Minicamp (Mack, Donald).

I was watching NFL Network, and according to them if a player misses all three days of mini camp the player is subject to a 80,000 dollar fine per CBA rules.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Officially holding out

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youre right, he had a knee injury in one of the last games. I wouldn't call it injury prone though, that knee injury would have been a knee injury for anyone it happened to.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is concerning, but honestly, I'd prefer we sign him to a deal before Leveon Bell gets a deal. I don't want anyone pointing to the nonsense statistics of "I should be paid like a receiver" in this whole setup.

I don't have much concern that the guy is healthy and will remain healthy - unlike I did when we gave Tyrann his extension after missing significant time.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is some info on the 80,000 dollar fine.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If DJ gets tagged...here are the numbers we are looking at.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he will be 27 at the end of the year, if he make a great season , i would franchise him and maybe on 2020 too
after that he will be 29/30, and rb doesnt get much money at that age
but he has a chnace to extend his careeer playing darren sproles role, playing rb, i mean running just few snaps for game

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard