Cautious Green halts drill to avoid violation

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Odeen Domingo and Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 3, 2005 12:00 AM

You must be registered for see images

Coach Dennis Green stopped a drill in Thursday's practice to avoid violating the rules that govern off-season workouts.

The pass-rush drill, in which an offensive lineman blocks a defensive lineman, had just started when Green ended it.

According to the collective bargaining agreement, live blocking and tackling drills are prohibited in minicamps and organized team activities, which these voluntary practices are.

Green later said he was erring on the side of caution.

Coaches used the same drill in last month's minicamp. The drill can grow physical, and in past years offensive linemen have complained about its intensity, especially given the lack of pads.

Last year the NFL determined that some of the Cardinals' off-season practices were too intense. Several players complained to the union, and the Cardinals forfeited the final week of their 14-week off-season training program as punishment.

Linebacking corps

Even though James Darling became the team's leading tackler last season, he's now working as a backup.

Orlando Huff, who played middle linebacker in Seattle last season, has replaced Darling at outside linebacker with the first-team defense.

Third-year veteran Gerald Hayes, who made one start last season, is in the middle with the first team. Karlos Dansby is entrenched on the strong side (opposite the tight end).

The team expects Huff to become one of the team's better players, Green said, but Darling and other linebackers will get their chances to play.

Injury update

Receiver Lawrence Hamilton (hamstring) was limited Thursday.

Guard Elton Brown (hamstring), defensive tackle Kenny King (quad), cornerback Jermaine Hardy (hamstring), running back Roger Robinson (hamstring) and safety Ernest Shazor (groin) did not practice.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0603cardsnb0603.html

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Stout said:
Smart man, Denny. Better to stop a drill now than to be hit by the league again.

My guess is that it was scripted.

Last year hit them with the kitchen sink get players to complain, remove said players then next year prove you really care by stopping the drill.

Denny dosen't leave much to chance, he knew the drill was there, I'd guess it was just a tactic but saying all that it's pretty shrewd.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:

Last year hit them with the kitchen sink get players to complain, remove said players then next year prove you really care by stopping the drill.

Denny dosen't leave much to chance, he knew the drill was there, I'd guess it was just a tactic but saying all that it's pretty shrewd.

Washington got nailed for it this year.

I wonder if Green admitting they ran the drill in the OTA a few weeks ago will result in any punishment? Sounds like the rule is pretty vague, you can have contact but it's the "intensity" of the drill that gets you in trouble? That's pretty hard to quantify.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I wonder if Green admitting they ran the drill in the OTA a few weeks ago will result in any punishment? Sounds like the rule is pretty vague, you can have contact but it's the "intensity" of the drill that gets you in trouble? That's pretty hard to quantify.

It is vague and subjective. For example, players are not supposed to practice at "game speed" but it is okay to have a "teaching tempo". Uh, okay, no problem drawing a clear line there. :rolleyes:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:

This is probably his shrewedest move since his "Top-secret-have-Emmitt-fake-an-injury-so-he-can-be-benched-as-punishment-for-being-at-a-Cowboys-game-so-we-can-say-it's-not-punishment" plan.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

My guess is that no he wont because he stopped it this time and because I seriously doubt we would have any complainers left.

I think Denny pretty much is trying to establish that if you keep it within the organization all will be taken care of if you go outside of it... Well call those guys and find out what happens.

He's in phase two this year which is to bond with what's left of the team he rebuilt.

He's a smart guy.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
conraddobler said:

whoa. Cue the blcak helicopters, conrad. :D

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Green is not your favorite coach of all time. I guess I could be wrong though.

For the life of me, I can't understand why knowledgeable, reasonable, football fans like you and Russ aren't doing back flips that Denny is running the show for your beloved Cardinals.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
whoa. Cue the blcak helicopters, conrad. :D

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Green is not your favorite coach of all time. I guess I could be wrong though.

For the life of me, I can't understand why knowledgeable, reasonable, football fans like you and Russ aren't doing back flips that Denny is running the show for your beloved Cardinals.

Really I am glad he's the coach.

I was only expressing my opinion that I don't buy he just spur of the moment thought the drill was too hard.

Heck read all the bios on the guy before he got here, one after the other they all say he always has a plan and a backup plan.

To think the drill got stopped just spur of the moment is kinda silly. I think he plans a lot of things and then has it look like accidents. Like the whole McCown thing last year.

I never said that I wasn't glad he's the coach though, I am.

I was simply pointing out that guys like him don't just notice a drill is too hard all of a sudden. Nor do they violate the CBA without knowing they probably are.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Really I am glad he's the coach.

I was only expressing my opinion that I don't buy he just spur of the moment thought the drill was too hard.

Heck read all the bios on the guy before he got here, one after the other they all say he always has a plan and a backup plan.

To think the drill got stopped just spur of the moment is kinda silly. I think he plans a lot of things and then has it look like accidents. Like the whole McCown thing last year.

I never said that I wasn't glad he's the coach though, I am.

I was simply pointing out that guys like him don't just notice a drill is too hard all of a sudden. Nor do they violate the CBA without knowing they probably are.

Well then I stand corrected as to your take on Green. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson