UofA Football Alum doing well

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Briggs is showing alot of good things in camp. I know alot of fans are impressed and have commented on him but here are the impressions of some of the Bears players:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/in...rsnews_module.cfm&include=&show_headline=true

Vets tab Briggs as top young player
By Larry Mayer
Senior Writer
August 13, 2003
BOURBONNAIS, Ill. - Which young player has been the most impressive so far in training camp?

We posed that question to 22 Bears veterans Wednesday and received some interesting responses. The runaway winner of the unscientific poll was linebacker Lance Briggs, a third-round pick from Arizona who garnered 11 votes.

The remaining votes were nearly evenly dispersed among eight players. Linebacker Joe Odom, running back Adrian Peterson and cornerback Charles Tillman earned two apiece while running back Brock Forsey, defensive tackle Tron LaFavor, offensive lineman Terrence Metcalf, wide receiver Edell Shepherd and fullback Casey Urlacher each drew one.

Interestingly, first-round picks Michael Haynes and Rex Grossman were not mentioned, and neither were promising wide receivers Bobby Wade or Justin Gage.

Here's how the voting went:

Jerry Azumah: Charles Tillman. "It seems like he's almost like a natural at that position. He's getting the hang of it real quick. He's a smart kid and I think that's the most important thing right there is that he's smart."

Marty Booker: Brock Forsey. "He's been looking good in practice. He's been hitting the holes and he looked real good in the game Saturday. I think he averaged five or six yards a carry (actually 5.8). He's a real shifty back, one of those third down kind of backs that can come out of the backfield and catch the ball."

Mike Brown: Lance Briggs. "The dude is an all-out hitter and he makes things happen, and that's the type of player I like. He runs around and hits people. He might not know what he's doing sometimes, but at least he's hitting somebody on every play."

Mike Caldwell: Lance Briggs. "He's a throwback."

Phillip Daniels: Joe Odom. "He really brings it. He looks good out there and he's impressed me more than anybody. I think he's got a lot of potential. He's got a nose for the football, and that's all that matters. You get to the ball and make things happen."

Paul Edinger: Lance Briggs. "He just looks like a guy who loves football. He runs around and he's been playing on the whole field on special teams and defense and he's knocking people back. It looks like he wants to be out there."

Mike Gandy: Terrence Metcalf. "He's done a lot. I know how hard it is moving around to different positions, but he's excelled at every position he's played. It's unfortunate he got hurt because he was doing so well. But he's impressed me."

Mike Green: Charles Tillman. "I see him improve every day and how better he gets in his backpedal. Every day he's starting to make more plays on the ball."

Warrick Holdman: Lance Briggs. "He came in aggressive and eager to learn and he has a good attitude."

Bobbie Howard: Lance Briggs. "He likes to hit. He's old school."

Patrick Mannelly: Lance Briggs. "He's competitive and likes to hit. He's going to be real good for us on special teams."

Brad Maynard: Joe Odom. "I've liked him on special teams and I thought he looked great on defense as well. I'm excited about what he can do for us on special teams. I think he's the type of guy who's versatile and he can play any position."

Todd McMillon: Lance Briggs. "He's got a motor and it seems like he hits whatever's in his sights. It seems like he's all over the place."

R.W. McQuarters: Lance Briggs. "He's done a great job. I know a lot of times he makes a lot of mistakes, but I think his effort is what shows the most. Sometimes rookies make a mistake and it's timid. He makes a mistake and it's at full speed. Even in minicamp when we were in helmets and shorts, he was still hitting guys. Not to say that's good, but at the same time it does show tenacity and intensity."

Stanley Pritchett: Adrian Peterson. "He worked hard this offseason. He came into camp and he's doing his thing. I think he has unlimited potential. If he keeps working hard and getting better each day, the sky's the limit for him."

Bryan Robinson: Lance Briggs. "When you play tackle, it helps when (linebackers) step up and get that tackle or that guard off of you on a double-team."

Daimon Shelton: Adrian Peterson. "I'd say Adrian because of how far he's come from last year as far as his reads and picking up blocks and hitting the hole hard with speed. I think he can definitely be a starter in this league."

Kordell Stewart: Lance Briggs. "He brings it all the time. He's big, he's strong and he's fast. He tried to run me down a couple times. He's pretty solid."

David Terrell: Casey Urlacher. "He's impressed me. With his older brother being Brian Urlacher, that's pretty tough to come out here every day. He's out here working hard every day."

Anthony Thomas: Edell Shepherd. "He's been doing a good job. I haven't seen him drop a pass yet. He's really going out there and busting his hump every day trying to make the team. I think a lot of positive things will happen to that kid. If he's not here, he's going to be somewhere."

Rex Tucker: Tron LaFavor. "The only thing I can gauge is who I play against and he gives a lot of effort."

Chris Villarrial: Lance Briggs. "He's making some plays in there. He's filling the hole quick. He's learning fast. Of course he's making some mistakes, but he's playing extremely well and he's out there working hard every day and he's trying."

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Brock ********...err I mean Forsey looked good tonight. Adrian Peterson looked good too.:D

Why the hate for Brock? LOL :D

Even though it was against scrubs, he looked damn good...especially since he is a scrub in alot of ways too. Bears fans are really liking him and hi style of play. I think he reminds people of Matt Suhey or something. Maybe it's because he is white :D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well maybe it is because he is white :D, but the dude looks like he has skills. And he looks like he can help on special teams.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Well maybe it is because he is white :D, but the dude looks like he has skills. And he looks like he can help on special teams.

Yeah, he makes the team. I noticed they had him back returning kickoffs Friday.