Trevor Ariza to Washington for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers.

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I really think JJ is being told the wrong things. We watch him having played a couple contolled games, doing the step back jumpers, playing within the game and not forcing things, and it's a wow, look how efficient he is! Then he plays with wild drives to the basket, throwing his body around, getting stupid fouls and you hear EJ saying, "That's how he needs to play. He has to be that agressive, energy guy." I have heard Shaq make similar comments. You wonder who is in his ear? Are all these ex, and current players telling him to keep driving out of control? We have seen him play controlled games. He can do it. I just think he's getting the wrong encouragement.

JJ's athleticism and speed are unreal. This is what sets him apart from most players. I think what everyone is saying that is his best attribute, currently don't just be a jump shooter. He reminds me a lot of Demar DeRozan, it took him about 3 years to learn to slown down and get a constant shot to take him to that elite level.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure I will be even though I agree with what you're saying. It might even be worse too, replace JJ with an average role player and we probably win 4 or 5 more games. But I still see reason to hope with JJ and I'd much rather we focus on development than winning this season. Of course, it would be nice to win enough games so we can be seen in public again.
I just see Oubre as more likely to develop than JJ. But since we don’t really have any pf’s I am sure they both will get time. Igor does seem to eventually give minutes to the players that deserve the playing time regardless of where they were drafted.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Oh man, Kelly Oubre. He looks like a left handed TJ Warren. Dude on ESPN said the main reason the Bullets traded him is that they don't want to pay him this off season.

If you gotta have 4 talented guys playing the same position wings are best.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't know what to do about Jackson. The Suns still need to try to develop him, but he's hurting the team and I'm not seeing any improvement. His decision-making is atrocious and he can't seem to plan more than half a second into the future.
He wasn't hurting the team last night. When he plays the way he did on the defensive end he can afford to have some hiccups on offense. He was an overall positive last night despite the missed shots and turnovers. That was a decent game from JJ and if he keeps playing that way while cleaning it up on offense he will be a very good player.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Of the 4 talented 3s Jackson is by far the most athletic and unique.
Warren, Bridges and Oubre all bring a pretty similar skill set to the table. All three will fill up box scores but Jackson is the guy that can make those highlight real plays that energize teams. He's also capable of guarding more positions than the other 3.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ is fast but he is not very long for his height. Oubre is similar in athleticism but has a 7-3 wing span. Oubre is also a better shooter. So I am wondering why people think JJ is the better long term prospect. I am not convinced either way yet. I want to see Oubre play here, but there seems to be potential.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I don't know what to do about Jackson. The Suns still need to try to develop him, but he's hurting the team and I'm not seeing any improvement. His decision-making is atrocious and he can't seem to plan more than half a second into the future.
You send him down to the D league for a season to develop. No rules about sending top 10 picks down is there?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
About Rivers. This video actually tells us a lot.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He wasn't hurting the team last night. When he plays the way he did on the defensive end he can afford to have some hiccups on offense. He was an overall positive last night despite the missed shots and turnovers. That was a decent game from JJ and if he keeps playing that way while cleaning it up on offense he will be a very good player.

Well, he had the best plus-minus on the team, so I suppose you're right, although I never would have guessed that from watching the game. But boy, he is cringe-worthy on offense. Eight missed shots and four turnovers in 23 minutes are butt-ugly numbers from someone who should have a low usage rate. Figure that the Suns had 30-40 possessions during that time, and it means that about 1/3 of every offensive possession when Jackson was on the floor ended with him basically giving the ball to the other team.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of the 4 talented 3s Jackson is by far the most athletic and unique.
Warren, Bridges and Oubre all bring a pretty similar skill set to the table. All three will fill up box scores but Jackson is the guy that can make those highlight real plays that energize teams. He's also capable of guarding more positions than the other 3.

I’ve said this a couple of times about the suns not having anyone to penetrate and take it to the hole. You see the Lilliards, Mitchell, Smith jr, Murray’s penetrate and dunk.

I’m not comparing JJ to these guys, only in that one aspect of actually getting to the rim. JJ just needs to learn to finish though.

It’s only his 2nd year. We can’t give up on JJ, there’s not doubt he’s working on his shot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this is even remotely a possibility, it begs the question as to why the Suns didn't just trade Ariza to the Sixers for Fultz in the first place.

Well I think it is probably BS the more I think about it.

Basically the article acts like we are still working on turning it into a 3 way deal before Monday, and Fultz would be what we actually end up with instead of oubre.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How many hours does a team have to flip a traded player?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well I think it is probably BS the more I think about it.

Basically the article acts like we are still working on turning it into a 3 way deal before Monday, and Fultz would be what we actually end up with instead of oubre.

That wouldn't work salary-wise, though I wouldn't mind replacing Rivers with either Satoransky or someone like Jeff Green to make the salaries work.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About Rivers. This video actually tells us a lot.

I hope the Suns get the Austin Rivers who last played for the Clippers.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh man, Kelly Oubre. He looks like a left handed TJ Warren. Dude on ESPN said the main reason the Bullets traded him is that they don't want to pay him this off season.

If you gotta have 4 talented guys playing the same position wings are best.

Hmmm Oubre JR and Warren JR?

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
At this point, we might as well keep Jackson around 25 mins a game so he gets those in game reps. G-league isn't going to cut it, as he's probably a step ahead of most of those guys and may just be developing the habits we want him to curtail on. IE, those wild drives will work so he'll keep doing them. Same problem that Goodwin had.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just see Oubre as more likely to develop than JJ. But since we don’t really have any pf’s I am sure they both will get time. Igor does seem to eventually give minutes to the players that deserve the playing time regardless of where they were drafted.

I think his ceiling is quite a bit below JJ's. Yes, he's not the complete wreck on offense that JJ sometimes is but he's not very efficient from the 3 and he doesn't do all those little things that Jackson does. He's probably a better overall player right now although with his subpar defense, even that's debatable.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Suns get the Austin Rivers who last played for the Clippers.
Austin Rivers has multiple 30 point games in his career. He has started a lot of games on playoff bound teams. He gets to the basket very well. He is not know as a defender but he works hard on defense. His shooting is not exceptional but not bad.

But we have set the bar so low here with our expectations that I think he cannot help but be a positive surprise. People here are going to love him or hate him. I do know that. If he turns into another Mike James, he will be vilified without mercy (and he probably will deserve it). If there was ever an opportunity for a talented player to turn his career around, Austin Rivers has it here. The job is wide open.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Austin Rivers has multiple 30 point games in his career. He has started a lot of games on playoff bound teams. He gets to the basket very well. He is not know as a defender but he works hard on defense. His shooting is not exceptional but not bad.

But we have set the bar so low here with our expectations that I think he cannot help but be a positive surprise. People here are going to love him or hate him. I do know that. If he turns into another Mike James, he will be vilified without mercy (and he probably will deserve it). If there was ever an opportunity for a talented player to turn his career around, Austin Rivers has it here. The job is wide open.

It would be a pleasant surprise if Rivers can start for the Suns. Melton off the bench would be a solid duo with Booker playing point guard based on situations.

I get overly excited by trades so I try to lessen my enthusiasm. However, if Rivers can at least be an average starter and Oubre blends in, this could be a solid return on Ariza. Conceivably both players could figure into the Suns future. It will probably take some time to develop chemistry though.

Best of all the Suns did not give up any draft picks.