Trevor Ariza to Washington for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
fine with it. Ariza wasn't going to get us a bounty so at least we got Oubre who's going to play hard and is Ariza-esque and at least a little veteran presence with Rivers. i don't expect a lot out of him, but the guys we had on the floor at PG literally don't deserve minutes at this point.

Neither does Austin Rivers. That said, Oubre makes the trade palatable.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he puts his head down and plays hero ball constantly, then he will have to sit, but honestly do we really think Booker and TJ will let him get away with that?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The problem is his MO is to put his head down and play hero ball constantly. It tore apart his Duke team, and it was starting to do the same with the Clippers.

And to answer your question, Booker and TJ let Bledsoe, Knight, James, Harrison and Canaan get away with that, so why should Rivers be any different, particularly with a head coach who can't or won't do anything about it?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Just watching some film of Rivers. Honestly, he reminds me a lot of a younger Jamal Crawford. He has a good handle. His 3 point shot was at 36% last year, which is not great shakes, but good enough to keep opposition honest. He has a great crossover and he gets to the rim really well. He is an OK passer. I think we might be surprised at how much better he is than what we have on the roster. If he puts his head down and plays hero ball constantly, then he will have to sit, but honestly do we really think Booker and TJ will let him get away with that? He also has that Duke pedigree which is not a bad thing.

Also, Rivers plays with an edge. There is a bit of thuggishness in him. BC should like that. We have a lot of nice guys on our team right now.

This is just highlights, but we do not have any point guards doing these things except Jamal. Call me curious at the moment.

He was a starter (and played pretty well in that role) on a team that won 42 games last year. Not suggesting that he is anything amazing, but anyone suggesting that he is terrible or no better than what we currently have is delusional IMO.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was a starter (and played pretty well in that role) on a team that won 42 games last year. Not suggesting that he is anything amazing, but anyone suggesting that he is terrible or no better than what we currently have is delusional IMO.
DeAnthony Melton was a second round pick that did not play for over a year. He had a good game but then he also went 0-6 with 1 assist and 3 turnovers in 24 minutes against Dallas. I am not sure if we fully grasp just how bad our point guard play has actually been this year.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
what is revealing about the Rivers highlight reel is his form. looks good. shot form is excellent. can handle the ball. knows how to pass. you really couldn't put the same kind of highlight reel together for Canaan, James, or any of our other recent points.

a shorter clip of Oubre was just OK. he could use more weight/muscle.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Although I would pass on Rivers, he does provide some explosive scoring and drives that no one but maybe JJ can do. His shooting is just enough to keep defenders honest.
I’m not sure about his attitude of just being an overall douche.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OK, I can't figure out this trade. We send Ariza, and get Rivers, who will be a stop gap rental at PG for us and gone in the off season, and then get Oubre who I think is BETTER than Ariza in return! Oubre has better stats this season, and is TEN years younger. Plus with Oubre, we can resign or let him walk at the end of the season. Honestly, I think we are OK with this trade. Both guys, if they don't work out, gone and no harm done. We still have all our draft picks. Not the greatest trade, but not bad either. If James Jones can do anything near this with Ryan Anderson, I would be all in on James Jones as GM! LMAO!

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DeAnthony Melton was a second round pick that did not play for over a year. He had a good game but then he also went 0-6 with 1 assist and 3 turnovers in 24 minutes against Dallas...

but Melton had 3 steals in the Dallas game and was part of an overall defense that got us an overtime game and a win in the past 3 games.

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
but Melton had 3 steals in the Dallas game and was part of an overall defense that got us an overtime game and a win in the past 3 games.
Well I watched the game and I can tell you Melton is a horrible PG and has zero ability to get someone an open shot or pass the ball to the low post at all. He constantly goes the wrong direction on pick and rolls and looks to be making a point to go away from Ayton.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I believe Rivers was part of the Lob City Crew. Unless I remember wrong. So he should know how to get the ball to Ayton.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
The problem is his MO is to put his head down and play hero ball constantly. It tore apart his Duke team, and it was starting to do the same with the Clippers.

We already have a guy that does that. Josh Jackson. And it hurts this team more than anyone realizes. Two guys doing that will be debilitating. The one good thing is Crawford is like a mentor to him apparently and should keep him in line somewhat. Hopefully he can help this team. I wont hold my breath though.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
OK, I can't figure out this trade. We send Ariza, and get Rivers, who will be a stop gap rental at PG for us and gone in the off season, and then get Oubre who I think is BETTER than Ariza in return! Oubre has better stats this season, and is TEN years younger. Plus with Oubre, we can resign or let him walk at the end of the season. Honestly, I think we are OK with this trade. Both guys, if they don't work out, gone and no harm done. We still have all our draft picks. Not the greatest trade, but not bad either. If James Jones can do anything near this with Ryan Anderson, I would be all in on James Jones as GM! LMAO!

James Jones has been catching a ton of heat around here. I think this was a good trade if it goes through as planned. He can make or break his chance as full on GM if this move works out and he can make a couple or at least one more before trade deadline. The guy at least deserves this chance to prove himself before getting crapped on. Especially if he can do it while being hindered by a egotistical, maniacal, meddling owner in Sarver.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with you Yuma. And our pg situation is so bad that even Rivers looks like an upgrade. BTW. As much as people hated Rivers in Washington, no one ripped his defensive effort. He works hard on D. He is limited but works hard.

He is a lot like Brandon Knight. But even a healthy Brandon Knight would be an upgrade right now. I think we traded BK because we knew he was not going to be healthy.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree with you Yuma. And our pg situation is so bad that even Rivers looks like an upgrade. BTW. As much as people hated Rivers in Washington, no one ripped his defensive effort. He works hard on D. He is limited but works hard.

He is a lot like Brandon Knight. But even a healthy Brandon Knight would be an upgrade right now. I think we traded BK because we knew he was not going to be healthy.

And before he got hurt, we benched him for a year because he became a rich man's version of what Austin Rivers is...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
what is revealing about the Rivers highlight reel is his form. looks good. shot form is excellent.

He's a little twisted on his shot, but it's pretty good. He's strong and quick and has good upper-body control in the air. I can't predict how he'll play, of course, but in terms of fundamentals he's much better than any PG on the existing roster.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's a little twisted on his shot, but it's pretty good. He's strong and quick and has good upper-body control in the air. I can't predict how he'll play, of course, but in terms of fundamentals he's much better than any PG on the existing roster.

Physically, yes. Mentally, he is one of the most selfish players I have ever seen. Very much about making the highlight reel play for himself rather than playing within a team concept. The last thing this roster, particularly with its weak-minded coach, needs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's really more of a 2 than a point, but he can play some point. Booker is the same. So maybe they share distributing duties during the game with Melton and Crawford picking up the rest. Its an option anyway.

If Oubre takes some of JJ's minutes, I will be happy. We might have 2 or 3 more wins if JJ was not playing. He is that much of a detriment on the court most nights.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can easily see the second unit being an energy unit with JJ, Holmes and Rivers.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can easily see the second unit being an energy unit with JJ, Holmes and Rivers.

I don't know what to do about Jackson. The Suns still need to try to develop him, but he's hurting the team and I'm not seeing any improvement. His decision-making is atrocious and he can't seem to plan more than half a second into the future.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's really more of a 2 than a point, but he can play some point. Booker is the same. So maybe they share distributing duties during the game with Melton and Crawford picking up the rest. Its an option anyway.

If Oubre takes some of JJ's minutes, I will be happy. We might have 2 or 3 more wins if JJ was not playing. He is that much of a detriment on the court most nights.

I'm not sure I will be even though I agree with what you're saying. It might even be worse too, replace JJ with an average role player and we probably win 4 or 5 more games. But I still see reason to hope with JJ and I'd much rather we focus on development than winning this season. Of course, it would be nice to win enough games so we can be seen in public again.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know what to do about Jackson. The Suns still need to try to develop him, but he's hurting the team and I'm not seeing any improvement. His decision-making is atrocious and he can't seem to plan more than half a second into the future.

He seems to alternate good and bad plays. He also has to stop jumping to pass.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Yeah, I tend to agree. Jackson will play well for a couple of minutes and then he will just do some things that are just terrible. I think they should give him five minutes every game. If he doesn't do anything stupid, gve him more. If he does something stupid, have him join Anderson and Bender for a couple of games.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rivers is a two guard. But he is a decent one when that is what he plays. Lots of interesting tidbits in this. Juwan Evans sighting. Ariza there too. Anderson too.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I really think JJ is being told the wrong things. We watch him having played a couple contolled games, doing the step back jumpers, playing within the game and not forcing things, and it's a wow, look how efficient he is! Then he plays with wild drives to the basket, throwing his body around, getting stupid fouls and you hear EJ saying, "That's how he needs to play. He has to be that agressive, energy guy." I have heard Shaq make similar comments. You wonder who is in his ear? Are all these ex, and current players telling him to keep driving out of control? We have seen him play controlled games. He can do it. I just think he's getting the wrong encouragement.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really think JJ is being told the wrong things. We watch him having played a couple contolled games, doing the step back jumpers, playing within the game and not forcing things, and it's a wow, look how efficient he is! Then he plays with wild drives to the basket, throwing his body around, getting stupid fouls and you hear EJ saying, "That's how he needs to play. He has to be that agressive, energy guy." I have heard Shaq make similar comments. You wonder who is in his ear? Are all these ex, and current players telling him to keep driving out of control? We have seen him play controlled games. He can do it. I just think he's getting the wrong encouragement.

Which is why he needs a strong coach to keep the message straight with him. All of today's young players have all sorts of people in their ear giving them the wrong message. Accordingly, the right coach is critical, especially for a young developing team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard