Trevor Ariza to Washington for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the Suns thought they could get one of the Lakers young core players.

Once that deal fell apart, the Suns re-engaged with the Los Angeles Lakers on trade talks for Ariza, league sources said. Suns owner Robert Sarver and interim general manager James Jones were working with Ariza's agent, Aaron Mintz, on brokering a deal with the Lakers, but it never materialized. The Lakers were unwilling to include one of their core young players in the trade, and the Suns ultimately moved back to complete a deal with the Wizards.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25540285/washington-wizards-trading-trevor-ariza-phoenix-suns

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Terrible. Just two guys that the Suns are now going to try and rid themselves of, and the circle continues...idiots

Would have been happier with a high second rounder they can use as a trade chip later

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre is quite long and an aggressive defender. He is kinda like a a younger version of Ariza. He is also going to be a RFA so the Suns have some control. Rivers is probably better than what we have at pg, but not our answer.

Oubre is not better than TJ or Mikal, but he is better than JJ. He has a better physical profile too. Oubre is 6-8 with a 7-3 wingspan. He is probably a better long term prospect than JJ.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ for Fultz now that we have Oubre?

Not going to happen. Philly was not interested in JJ, and we must not be interested in Fultz - otherwise we would have just traded Ariza for him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Oubre is quite long and an aggressive defender. He is kinda like a a younger version of Ariza. He is also going to be a RFA so the Suns have some control. Rivers is probably better than what we have at pg, but not our answer.

Oubre is not better than TJ or Mikal, but he is better than JJ. He has a better physical profile too. Oubre is 6-8 with a 7-3 wingspan. He is probably a better long term prospect than JJ.

And he can at least kind of shoot, and doesn't turn the ball over.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This might be the time to consider trading Jackson if they haven't already considered it. However, I think it may come down to dollars with Oubre.

The Suns have a real opportunity to improve their team now instead of waiting until the summer.

Oubre or one of their other wings is a nice chip to use in a trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can they trade oubre - isn't there like a 90 day waiting period after a player is traded?

Is there still 90 days till the trade deadline?

Would the move now be to trade Jackson and try and resign oubre?

A player can be traded alone at any time after a trade, so we can send Oubre somewhere else on his own, we can't package him with other players. If we wanted to create a package with Oubre involved then we'd need to wait 60 days. That will be cutting it close with the trade deadline, which is why I think the Suns were anxious to get a deal done ASAP. That way if they choose they can make another involving whoever we got for Ariza at the deadline.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Having control doesn’t really mean anything unless he’s willing to sign an extension for a bench level player. I suppose it could be a significant factor if another team is willing to trade for him and sign him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The trade deadline is February 7th 2019. They won't be able to package Oubre at all. I know the league moved the deadline forward to get it ahead of All-Star weekend but it looks like they moved it too close to their December 15th date. I can see them needing to amend that in the future. It's not often that a player is dealt twice in a season but it used to be possible. Now it's only a possibility if a player is traded alone, which limits a teams options quite a bit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre's contract is quite reasonable if the Suns want to add another draft pick.

He should be worth a first round pick. They could use the pick in another trade as well with the Bucks pick for something they want. This is conjecture but it seems reasonable.

https://hoopshype.com/player/kelly-oubre/salary/

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oubre's contract is quite reasonable if the Suns want to add another draft pick.

He should be worth a first round pick. They could use the pick in another trade as well with the Bucks pick for something they want. This is conjecture but it seems reasonable.

https://hoopshype.com/player/kelly-oubre/salary/

You haven't been listening to the Suns. They don't want any more picks, they want veterans - and they still haven't hired any scouts - so I believe them.

Like it or not, we will be lucky to get one rookie this off season, and that is probably only if we get a top 3 selection.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah the famous “other shoe” . . . that never drops.

I think it will drop but I hope the Suns are capable of making the right move. The Ariza for Rivers and Oubre trade is probably better than the other proposed trade with the Grizzlies in terms of talent.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There is a window to trade Oubre but I'm not sure how long it is open.

It looks like the Suns will need to trade someone.
Why? They’ve had 4 SFs all season and have been rotating them. That’s the same number now. So oubre just gets a portion of ariza’s minutes.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ah the famous “other shoe” . . . that never drops.
yep.

Oubre is longer than JJ. JJ tries to distribute more. Oubre, you will see, is much more of a tunnel vision player. That will frustrate some.

I am not sure I want to see Austin Rivers play at all. He is probably a better pg than what we have, but more in a Mike James type of way. I think I would rather see Melton or Okobo develop.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? They’ve had 4 SFs all season and have been rotating them. That’s the same number now. So oubre just gets a portion of ariza’s minutes.

I'm not opposed to it but I think the Suns would be smart to trade for a player at a position of need,
point guard or power forward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like there might be room to modify the trade.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to it but I think the Suns would be smart to trade for a player at a position of need,
point guard or power forward.

I think we’d all like to see them do that. The problem is this organization has given us no reason to believe that they have a plan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we’d all like to see them do that. The problem is this organization has given us no reason to believe that they have a plan.

This is the problem.

Hopefully Jones learned something on this trade. It actually turned out well considering.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Like last nights trade I don’t live or hate this.

Rivers likely better than what we have now in the here and now at PG. at least he can put pressure on the defense. Last year started 59 games. Shot 38% on 6 3s/game. 15pts and 1.2 steals per game. Teams shouldn’t be able to ignore him in the court and he should help spacing.

Oubre is relatively young. 3% bounces around in low-mid 30s. Shoots around 52% from 2. 13pts 4.4 rebs shade under 1 steal and 1 block per game.

Compared to ariza oubre is:

Step up in athleticism
Step back in headiness
Step back in 3%
Step up in 2%
Step back in rebound
Big Step back in assists
Step forward in scoring
Step back in steals
Step up in blocks

Ariza has averaged 34 mins/game compared to oubre’s 26. Figure with booker eventually coming back oubre sticks at around 26 minutes and bridges and JJ mins likely decrease around 8-10 mins each.

Trade may be a net benefit to the team this season but perhaps only slightly. But every improvement helps. I like that we won’t be tied to either player long term.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It sounds like there might be room to modify the trade.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Unless it's us getting Satoransky instead of Rivers, no good can come of this for us...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard