Trevor Ariza to Washington for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That's the best we could get for a solid championship level 3 & D wing? The Wizards? Seems underwhelming IMO

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Only thing I am worried about is Oubre will be cutting in JJs minutes. Rivers is an upgrade over Melton/Okobo/NBADL ...but not much for a passing pg, unless he can get a low post pass.. which is more than any one of our pg can do.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The problem is that last night they didn’t want Oubre, but today they are taking him just to get the deal done. We really need to get a real GM in here.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Potential downside is that Rivers has had locker room issues in the past. Not sure how much of it was real but certainly some of it wasn't necessarily his fault in LAC

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over on Reddit some Clippers fans have said that Rivers won't be too bad here since we have Crawford to help mentor him. He viewed Jamal as a mentor in LA previously and while playing with Crawford he posted his best stats in the NBA. Here is a video that's been shared.

Since we have Austin Rivers we might as well give him a look. Hopefully he's not as too bad. I know he's sucked in Washington but Washington also wasn't using him as a PG with John Wall and Tomas Satoransky there. Here he would be playing PG, which is what he sees himself as.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sense another trade is coming. Oubre is a quality player and the Suns do not need another wing.

Has any feelings of another deal happening soon panned out though? I've felt the same way after a number of deals that have been made. The Ariza signing, the Knight trade, McD's firing, Canaan being waived. It's when we don't suspect a deal that one will happen. Probably the day of the city council vote so Sarver can keep Suns fans occupied away from that meeting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is weird, Oubre is not a throw-in in this trade. He is a much better player than Rivers.

If the Suns play their cards right, they could use one of their wings in trade to improve the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has any feelings of another deal happening soon panned out though? I've felt the same way after a number of deals that have been made. The Ariza signing, the Knight trade, McD's firing, Canaan being waived. It's when we don't suspect a deal that one will happen. Probably the day of the city council vote so Sarver can keep Suns fans occupied away from that meeting.

I think the Ariza trade will prompt another trade the Suns were not planning to make.

Maybe luck is the best GM the Suns have. Sarver needs to stay out of it though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is saying what we already know.

And the Suns have Oubre's rights in a trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Ariza trade will prompt another trade the Suns were not planning to make.

Maybe luck is the best GM the Suns have. Sarver needs to stay out of it though.

I would like to see that happen but I'm fine either way. I like Oubre, provided he wants to be here. He's better than Brooks, IMO, either one. I'd say he's better than Scott Brooks also.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see that happen but I'm fine either way. I like Oubre, provided he wants to be here. He's better than Brooks, IMO, either one. I'd say he's better than Scott Brooks also.

If the Suns play this smart, they could drastically improve their team now by trading for a point guard or power forward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It hurts to think it might have been possible to have Shai and Oubre on the Suns roster.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can they trade oubre - isn't there like a 90 day waiting period after a player is traded?

Is there still 90 days till the trade deadline?

Would the move now be to trade Jackson and try and resign oubre?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can they trade oubre - isn't there like a 90 day waiting period after a player is traded?

Is there still 90 days till the trade deadline?

Would the move now be to trade Jackson and try and resign oubre?

There is a window to trade Oubre but I'm not sure how long it is open.

It looks like the Suns will need to trade someone.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Much like I said last night before the trade fell through, getting rid of Ariza is addition by subtraction. Guys we are getting in return are NBA-level players, and expiring contracts, so there is virtually no downside, and it should help them out short-term as well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Much like I said last night before the trade fell through, getting rid of Ariza is addition by subtraction. Guys we are getting in return are NBA-level players, and expiring contracts, so there is virtually no downside, and it should help them out short-term as well.

Well, Oubre is an NBA-level player. Rivers, not so much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an article about the trade and the Lakers.