Trevor Ariza to Washington for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many hours does a team have to flip a traded player?

They can trade whenever, they just can't combine a recently traded for player with another salary for 2 months.

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

• For two months after receiving the player in trade, if the trade aggregates the player's salary with the salaries of other players. However, the team is free to trade the player immediately, either by himself or without aggregating his salary with other salaries. This restriction applies only to players who were acquired using an exception (and not cap room).

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I doubt Oubre is in the Suns plans given how the trade went down but if they can get a decent return for Jackson include him in a package to unload Anderson I'd certainly look at it. Oubre will be a RFA and his cap hold is only 2 mil more than Jackson and if his market is light he could be retained to a cap friendly deal long term.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I doubt Oubre is in the Suns plans given how the trade went down but if they can get a decent return for Jackson include him in a package to unload Anderson I'd certainly look at it. Oubre will be a RFA and his cap hold is only 2 mil more than Jackson and if his market is light he could be retained to a cap friendly deal long term.
You do not trade JJ just for the sake of unloading Anderson's salary. If you want to do that than just add picks, but you don't give up on JJ's potential just for the sake of dumping a poopy contract.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
See, I don't think they should be using any assets in order to shed salary. They can waive Anderson or waive and stretch him, still have some cap room for the summer. I don't see any huge free agents coming to Phoenix. Yeah, it would be nice to have extra cap room (couple of role players), but they really don't need to throw away assets to create a few more million in cap room. Suns are fine at 2, 3, and 5, and OK at 4, at least as the starting unit goes. What assets they have they should use on finding a solid point guard. As for Jackson and Oubre go, evaluate both the rest of the season, but neither should be off limits if a solid PG is available.

Now, should the Suns go on a crazy run for the rest of the season to the point that they look like a really good young team, then perhaps I might change my mind and give up some assets to shed salary since big names might be intrigued by joining the Suns, but fori the time being, waste no assets to shed salary.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
You do not trade JJ just for the sake of unloading Anderson's salary. If you want to do that than just add picks, but you don't give up on JJ's potential just for the sake of dumping a ****** contract.

No but if there is a way to get a legit PG or PF you have to consider trading JJ, Oubre, TJ or even Bridges as much as that hurts to say. We have an over abundance of wings. We have to balance this team out eventually

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, I don't think they should be using any assets in order to shed salary. They can waive Anderson or waive and stretch him, still have some cap room for the summer. I don't see any huge free agents coming to Phoenix. Yeah, it would be nice to have extra cap room (couple of role players), but they really don't need to throw away assets to create a few more million in cap room. Suns are fine at 2, 3, and 5, and OK at 4, at least as the starting unit goes. What assets they have they should use on finding a solid point guard. As for Jackson and Oubre go, evaluate both the rest of the season, but neither should be off limits if a solid PG is available.

Now, should the Suns go on a crazy run for the rest of the season to the point that they look like a really good young team, then perhaps I might change my mind and give up some assets to shed salary since big names might be intrigued by joining the Suns, but fori the time being, waste no assets to shed salary.

Oubre might be as good as anyone the Suns find in free agency but the point guard position should be a priority fix.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
No but if there is a way to get a legit PG or PF you have to consider trading JJ, Oubre, TJ or even Bridges as much as that hurts to say. We have an over abundance of wings. We have to balance this team out eventually

I agree on JJ and Oubre, but I disagree on Bridges. Unless you can get a legit star PG (Lilard, Walker, etc), Bridges should not be traded. That kid is crazy good, and when his shots start to fall at a higher percentage, he will be huge for this team. His defense and intangibles are exactly what this team needs. I also don't buy this "overabundance of wings" thing. They have Booker and Warren who are solid players and Warren can play a small ball PF too. Bridges will be a legit player. Oubre and Jackson are unknowns. there is no guarantee that either will be a real NBA player. That's not overabundance of wings.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I never argued the contrary. We have to be willing to trade anyone not Booker or Ayton if it will make the team better. You just don't trade legit young talent just to shed salary is all I am saying.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Another thought is that they should be trying to add several NBA-level players to the roster instead of trying to get a huge star. Booker is a star, I am confident Ayton will be one as well, Warren is already a solid player, especially with his new-found three-point shot, and Bridges will be a solid role-player at the very least. I am quite happy with the core they have. Outside the point guard issue, their biggest weakness is their lack of depth. After Crawford and Holmes, their bench really has no NBA talent.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on JJ and Oubre, but I disagree on Bridges. Unless you can get a legit star PG (Lilard, Walker, etc), Bridges should not be traded. That kid is crazy good, and when his shots start to fall at a higher percentage, he will be huge for this team. His defense and intangibles are exactly what this team needs. I also don't buy this "overabundance of wings" thing. They have Booker and Warren who are solid players and Warren can play a small ball PF too. Bridges will be a legit player. Oubre and Jackson are unknowns. there is no guarantee that either will be a real NBA player. That's not overabundance of wings.

Yeah, I think trading away Bridges is the kind of move that will bite us in the butt down the road. He doesn't quite have an NBA body yet and he's not even an average player yet but he has the makings of an NBA game and he's only going to get better. IMO, within 5 years he'll be talked about as one of the best 2 way players in the game. I'm not even sure I'd include him in a trade for Lillard or Walker unless it was just him and a low value player or pick. And even then, I'd hesitate.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You do not trade JJ just for the sake of unloading Anderson's salary. If you want to do that than just add picks, but you don't give up on JJ's potential just for the sake of dumping a ****** contract.

I wouldn't do it just to unload Anderson, but if there was some reasonable incentive added I certainly would. I honestly doubt JJ has that much value around the league and the more he plays the lower it gets. We can continue to hope he turns it around but the odds of him ever reaching his potential seem less likely as time goes on.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never argued the contrary. We have to be willing to trade anyone not Booker or Ayton if it will make the team better. You just don't trade legit young talent just to shed salary is all I am saying.

Is he really legit young talent?

Yes I know physically he is elite. That really doesn't matter if he consistently plays stupid.

I will admit I am losing patience with him. Most of his mistakes should be easily fixable, but he is not fixing them.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Next years team will not have Bender or Anderson on it . You keep the wings and get two new power forwards that can at least get on the court.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it just to unload Anderson, but if there was some reasonable incentive added I certainly would. I honestly doubt JJ has that much value around the league and the more he plays the lower it gets. We can continue to hope he turns it around but the odds of him ever reaching his potential seem less likely as time goes on.

How would including a guy making 8 million in salary who is not playing up to that salary help move a guy making 16 million salary earning none of it when nearly every team in the league is at or above available cap space currently.

I'll give you the answer it wouldn't. Nobody would want Jackson as is unless they could offload salary or get picks, let alone take on the most worthless 16 million dollar player in the league.

Statistically Jackson is the worst player in the league.

If you really think teams are so anxious to just take on high contract potential guys - tell me why nobody has traded for Fultz yet.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How would including a guy making 8 million in salary who is not playing up to that salary help move a guy making 16 million salary earning none of it when nearly every team in the league is at or above available cap space currently.

I'll give you the answer it wouldn't. Nobody would want Jackson as is unless they could offload salary or get picks, let alone take on the most worthless 16 million dollar player in the league.

Statistically Jackson is the worst player in the league.

If you really think teams are so anxious to just take on high contract potential guys - tell me why nobody has traded for Fultz yet.

The reason a team may want Jackson is the same reason others in this thread were against the idea of trading him along with Anderson and that is because of his potential.

The reason Fultz hasn't been traded is because the asking price is too high. The only teams that would want to roll the dice on Fultz are rebuilding teams, yet the Sixers reportedly want a 1st round pick in the top half of the draft which no sane rebuilding team would give.

A rebuilding team may be willing to eat a year of a bad contract to roll the dice on a high upside player though. I could see the Bulls having interest in such a move. Something along the lines of Parker/Portis for Anderson/Jackson, maybe through in a Bender/Payne swap if they wanted to kick the tires on Bender.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Announcement of the trade being official is getting closer.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
If anyone has questions about Austin, fire away. I'll tell ya what you want to know.

That said, hes a better player than he ever gets credit for, but not what the Suns need. I'd be surprised if he's on the roster come March (playoff roster addition deadline).

Also, I would assume Oubre is moved, though it could be Warren too. Oubre just can't be aggregated with other salary.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If anyone has questions about Austin, fire away. I'll tell ya what you want to know.

That said, hes a better player than he ever gets credit for, but not what the Suns need. I'd be surprised if he's on the roster come March (playoff roster addition deadline).

Also, I would assume Oubre is moved, though it could be Warren too. Oubre just can't be aggregated with other salary.

For what it's worth, I equate Austin Rivers with another ball dominant guard masquerading as a point guard who could put up big numbers and who got plenty of chances due to physical ability but whose selfish play pretty much ruined each team for which he played until he eventually found himself out of the league at age 31. Monta Ellis, anyone?

Last edited:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The one thing I'll say in Austin River's favor...my understanding at least, is that he's a good defender.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be a pleasant surprise if Rivers can start for the Suns. Melton off the bench would be a solid duo with Booker playing point guard based on situations.

I get overly excited by trades so I try to lessen my enthusiasm. However, if Rivers can at least be an average starter and Oubre blends in, this could be a solid return on Ariza. Conceivably both players could figure into the Suns future. It will probably take some time to develop chemistry though.

Best of all the Suns did not give up any draft picks.

I’m kind of getting excited too. He’s seasoned so he should have an impact right away. He’ll keep defenders honest which means better shots from the other guys.

And I like Oubre too on the suns. We are missing a bit of size/length.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I equate Austin Rivers with another ball dominant guard masquerading as a point guard who could put up big numbers and who got plenty of chances due to physical ability but whose selfish play pretty much ruined each team for which he played until he eventually found himself out of the league at age 31. Monta Ellis, anyone?

Perhaps a but more than I would have gone, but certainly not inaccurate. He is who he is, which is a guy who is better on ball, but isn't a point guard. The bad part is, he's clearly better with talent around him, but, again, needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard