Trevor Ariza to Washington for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
There are 12 teams with over 20 million in practical cap space. 8 with over 40 million.

He is getting 12-14 million

Wow! that's not good. Suns will be lucky to sign anyone of significance. They need to make a trade.

If Oubre gets 12-14 Holmes will be off the charts.....

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
There are 12 teams with over 20 million in practical cap space. 8 with over 40 million.

And they all think they're gonna sign one of the 5 K's. Once all those guys resign with their clubs teams will be scurrying to sign second tier guys like Oubre.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow! that's not good. Suns will be lucky to sign anyone of significance. They need to make a trade.

If Oubre gets 12-14 Holmes will be off the charts.....
So, roughly 500 million in free agency money in the 20-40 million per team category. There are a LOT of free agents though. The first 10 are going to average about $35 million a year. The next ten will average about $20 million per year. Everyone else will likely be in the 10-20 million category. But there is even more money available because of Bird Rights. But I cannot see teams wasting time on restricted free agents when there are so many unrestricted free agents available. RFA's will be part of the second round of signings I think, unless their own teams sign them right away.
  1. Kevin Durant--
  2. Kawhi Leonard. ...
  3. Kyrie Irving. ...
  4. Jimmy Butler. ...
  5. Klay Thompson. ...
  6. Kristaps Porzingis
  7. Kemba Walker
  8. Towns
  9. Cousins
  10. Nikola Vucevic
  11. THarris
  12. Al Horford
  13. Nikola Mirotic
  14. Middleton
  15. Bledsoe
  16. Harrions Barnes
  17. Brogdon
  18. Deandre Jordan
  19. Trevor Ariza
  20. Markieff Morris
  21. Ricky Rubio
  22. Mark Gasol
  23. Terry Rozier
  24. Terrence Ross
  25. Enes Kanter
  26. Tyreke Evans
  27. J.J. Redick
  28. Kelly Oubre
  29. Danny Green
  30. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
  31. Frank Kaminsky
  32. Larry Nance, Jr.
  33. Trey Lyles
  34. Kevon Looney
  35. Patrick Beverley
  36. Milos Teodosic
  37. Justise Winslow
  38. Willie Cauley-Stein
  39. Delon Wright
  40. Thaddeus Young
  41. Garrett Temple
  42. JaMychal Green
  43. Taj Gibson
  44. Al-Farouq Aminu
  45. Rudy Gay
  46. Alec Burks
  47. Isaiah Thomas
Opt outs
  • Hassan Whiteside ($27 million)
  • Jeff Teague ($19 million)
  • The Eternal Free Agent Dwight Howard ($5.6 million)
  • Julius Randle ($9 million)
  • C.J. Miles ($8.7 million)
  • Jonas Valanciunas ($17.6 million)
Team Options that might not get picked up
  • Millsap
  • JParker
  • JJackson
  • KDunn
  • JOkafor
There are also a lot of less notable free agents like Marquise Chriss and Dragan Bender.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So, roughly 500 million in free agency money in the 20-40 million per team category. There are a LOT of free agents though. The first 10 are going to average about $35 million a year. The next ten will average about $20 million per year. Kevin Durant--
  1. Kawhi Leonard. ...
  2. Kyrie Irving. ...
  3. Jimmy Butler. ...
  4. Klay Thompson. ...
  5. Kristaps Porzingis
  6. Kemba Walker
  7. Towns
  8. Cousins
  9. Nikola Vucevic
  10. THarris
  11. Al Horford
  12. Nikola Mirotic
  13. Middleton
  14. Bledsoe
  15. Harrions Barnes
  16. Brogdon
  17. Deandre Jordan
  18. Trevor Ariza
  19. Markieff Morris
  20. Ricky Rubio

I don't know about that. I'd be very surprised if anyone pays Ariza or Morris $20 million per year. That amount seems high for Barnes and Rubio also, although somewhat more likely.

As for the rest of the list, some of them will be pursued in the early going, but a lot of them will be lucky to get anything over a few million per year.

It's true that there are going to be a lot of free agents, but there won't be that many that people want. That's what's going to drive up the price for the top couple of tiers. Also, some of them are virtually certain to re-up with their current teams (Irving, Porzingis, Towns), so they aren't really on the market.

I think a safe guess is that Oubre will get $80M/4y from someone.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know about that. I'd be very surprised if anyone pays Ariza or Morris $20 million per year. That amount seems high for Barnes and Rubio also, although somewhat more likely.

As for the rest of the list, some of them will be pursued in the early going, but a lot of them will be lucky to get anything over a few million per year.

It's true that there are going to be a lot of free agents, but there won't be that many that people want. That's what's going to drive up the price for the top couple of tiers. Also, some of them are virtually certain to re-up with their current teams (Irving, Porzingis, Towns), so they aren't really on the market.

I think a safe guess is that Oubre will get $80M/4y from someone.
I thought that about before I wrote it. That is why I said as a group I thought they would average about $20 million. Some will get more, some less. I can see Ariza and Morris getting $15 or more, depending on how they play this year.

I just am not sure how restricted free agency will impact everything.

As far as the players at the end go, it depends. Free agency is a weird thing. If the teams spend up their money before all the free agents are signed, you can get some bargains toward the end. If all the free agents are signed before teams spend all their money, teams end up overspending for marginal free agents.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the players at the end go, it depends. Free agency is a weird thing. If the teams spend up their money before all the free agents are signed, you can get some bargains toward the end. If all the free agents are signed before teams spend all their money, teams end up overspending for marginal free agents.

This is what the Suns missed out on committing to Ariza early for $15 million. There were a number of players out there on the cheap that could have improved the Suns.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I thought that about before I wrote it. That is why I said as a group I thought they would average about $20 million. Some will get more, some less. I can see Ariza and Morris getting $15 or more, depending on how they play this year.

I just am not sure how restricted free agency will impact everything.

Ariza ain’t seeing $15M again. It took a desperate suns team offering a one-year contract for him to get that this year. Why would a year older player who looked like trash this far get that again from anyone else when they weren’t willing to offer him that when he was more desirable. He didn’t choose the suns over other clubs offering him $15M. He chose them because they offered him $15 when no one else would.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It appears Wall needs foot surgery and will be out for the season. That should end any speculation of us acquiring him

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ariza ain’t seeing $15M again. It took a desperate suns team offering a one-year contract for him to get that this year. Why would a year older player who looked like trash this far get that again from anyone else when they weren’t willing to offer him that when he was more desirable. He didn’t choose the suns over other clubs offering him $15M. He chose them because they offered him $15 when no one else would.
Well. Certainly if he doesn't start to play better he won't. Ariza is not going to get a long term deal anywhere. He is going to get a series of one year deals from here on out I think.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I just don't see it. Reminds me of when people were concerned Len was going to get 15-20 mil per year. Grandted, Oubre is more useful than Len, but I don't see anyone giving that kind of money to a depth player on a 20-30 win team.

If he can up his shooting numbers the rest of the way to something like 40-45% from the field and 36-40% from 3, then I could see him getting something like... 2 years 25-30 mil, okay.

But if the Oubre we're watching is the Oubre that hits free agency, I will put my 100%, unequivocal, stamp of absolute certainty that he will not even remotely sniff the 4 years, 80 million that is being discussed by a few here.

If he improves his shooting... 2 years 20-30 million, if he's the same guy we're watching now... 2 years 12-18 million. If he gets worse... 1 year... 4 million. Unless he absolutely explodes, I don't see anyone giving him an annual 8 figure salary for more than a couple seasons though, that's for damn sure.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a feeling Rubio is our guy at 20+m

I think Rubio would help us tremendously but... wow, I hope not. I don't think anyone, besides maybe Bob Sarver, will be that desperate for his services.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Rubio would help us tremendously but... wow, I hope not. I don't think anyone, besides maybe Bob Sarver, will be that desperate for his services.

Igor Kokoskov. Yet another reason to show him the door.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It appears Wall needs foot surgery and will be out for the season. That should end any speculation of us acquiring him

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Maybe they’re ready to make a Beal Deal. I’d give up the unprotected pick and a wing and a couple of drumsticks for Beal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe they’re ready to make a Beal Deal. I’d give up the unprotected pick and a wing and a couple of drumsticks for Beal.

Are you proposing to trade Devin Booker, then?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Are you proposing to trade Devin Booker, then?

That’s probably fair but doesn’t seem to move the team forward that much.

I have no idea what it would take but the Bullets might be ready to hit the reset button and save some money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomas Satoransky is an expiring contract for around $3 million if the Suns wanted to kick the tires. He is a shooting guard with passing skills.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We need a point guard, not more shooting guards.
The Suns only have one decent SG.
Another good ball handling SG would help but yeah a real PG would be nice.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Technically, Crawford is a SG. And from what we're seeing, Melton and Okobo are more SG than PG. In any event, my point is that if we are going to trade for anyone, priority #1 needs to be PG. I don't want to create any more excuse to play Booker out of position at PG.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Both Beal and Booker can play on and off the ball. Booker would still remain the primary ball handler, but Beal is just about as good of a ball handler and distributor as Booker and thus could give him some relief in that department. It also allows us to continue to play lineups that can switch everything. With Booker's emergence as a legit play making guard it's players like Beal that I would target first to start next to Booker.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Beal and Booker can play on and off the ball. Booker would still remain the primary ball handler, but Beal is just about as good of a ball handler and distributor as Booker and thus could give him some relief in that department. It also allows us to continue to play lineups that can switch everything. With Booker's emergence as a legit play making guard it's players like Beal that I would target first to start next to Booker.

Yeah, I've been on the trade for Beal bandwagon for awhile now. I'd even include our 2019 pick as long as it includes Zion protection. I'm not sure if we have enough to get it done but I'd give up our first, the Milwaukee pick, an unprotected pick in 21 plus whatever combo of Jackson, Bender, Melton, Okobo, Daniels, Anderson and King they want. But I suspect there's not 2 team deal possible without including Warren or Bridges and I don't know how I feel about that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

But Booker has proved that he is NOT a legitimate playmaking guard and that relying on him in that role is bad both for him and for the team.

Again, Booker is Klay Thompson, NOT Steph Curry or James Harden.

Please stop trying to force square pegs into round holes. We already have to suffer through Igor doing that by trying to turn our NBA team into a Eurobasket team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard