Trade deadline 2023

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Would not have been dumb at all. First, I doubt Young hits the open market. Second, if he does, you get your 3rd round pick back. Sounds like a pretty smart move to me.
That's not guaranteed at all. If the Cardinals sign a combo of players that match his salary, it's likely they don't.

Real bad idea for a rebuilding team to gamble away a third round pick.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
SF is saying: "yeah, we realize our QB is regressing back to a normal mean, so we will win by limiting opponents to fewer than 14 points".

they have the same logic as SEA, only on steroids -- a wide open NFC and its time to put the chips in.

interesting to see the last few year how the NFL has become like MLB at the trade deadline.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's not guaranteed at all. If the Cardinals sign a combo of players that match his salary, it's likely they don't.

Real bad idea for a rebuilding team to gamble away a third round pick.
We have a bunch of 3rd round picks right now. What would we do without more Garrett Williamses on the roster???

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
SF struggles lately may be more due to DC Wilks anyway. They were fortunate Cincinnati didn't put up 40+ against them(Cincy missed FGs, lost fumble in RZ)
They will learn what gap integrity is at the cost of a super bowl

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
SF struggles lately may be more due to DC Wilks anyway. They were fortunate Cincinnati didn't put up 40+ against them(Cincy missed FGs, lost fumble in RZ)
I saw a video yesterday with a guy talking a out Wilks and his DC struggles, as it relates to things like pass rush and stopping the run...he said it's more due to Wilks being a DB and only seeing the defense through the eyes of a DB. Made a little sense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We have a bunch of 3rd round picks right now. What would we do without more Garrett Williamses on the roster???
Every draft pick is a lottery pick.

It's hilarious that people agree the Bears trade was and then say the Cardinals should do the same damn thing trading for Chase Young.

Sheer lunacy.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
We are going to have money to spend this offseason, so I think it Monte wanted Chase or Sweat and was willing to pay thier expected salaries, they would have made the trade. but there are some great DL on pass rushers available this off season, Danielle Hunter is better than young or sweat, Chris Jones, etc, so if you are going to pay top dollar, get the best players

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where do you get this from? OTC has them under the cap as of now and around $7 million over when it comes to effective cap space.

OTC's 2024 NFL cap is screwed. The estimated cap page has it at $256m for 2024 but that's not showing through to their team pages where that table comes from.

Niners already at $288m in cap liabilities for 2024 without the rookie draft pool.

Spotrac has the estimated salary cap at $280m. Again I don't know why so high. Their official salary cap estimate is $240m, but when you go to any teams roster it's coming out at $280m.

Even then SPotrac has them $15m over without the draft pool.

You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
OTC's 2024 NFL cap is screwed. The estimated cap page has it at $256m for 2024 but that's not showing through to their team pages where that table comes from.

Niners already at $288m in cap liabilities for 2024 without the rookie draft pool.

Spotrac has the estimated salary cap at $280m. Again I don't know why so high. Their official salary cap estimate is $240m, but when you go to any teams roster it's coming out at $280m.

Dunno why you trust Spotrac over OTC. Spotrac uses OTC data.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

The “cap” has never kept a team from keeping/signing a player they want.

It’s always a convenient excuse for not wanting to pay a guy more than they want or think he’s worth.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dunno why you trust Spotrac over OTC. Spotrac uses OTC data.

I don't. I just said both had the cap limits set way high.

OTC data is right there in the image. Niners have cap commitments of $288m and the cap is expected to be $256m.

One thing I missed. The Niners have $40m in cap space this year they saved to roll over to next year. I found an interview from Lynch where he says they held back the $40m specifically for this reason.

So when all said and done it's probably a wash and they have around zero.

They don't have much space the year after either and have to extend Greenlaw, Aiyuk, all 3 starting CB's, Hufanga and Armstead.

I think Young is a rental only which is why they were only willing to send a 3rd round comp.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which I would wager is part of the point. That's two higher picks we burned on players already injured with limited potential in year one.

So you think K9's point was "Can't wait to have more Garrett Williamses on the team" which was an obvious reference to the quality of player we might draft with a 3rd round pick somehow related to an injury he's now recovered from?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So you think K9's point was "Can't wait to have more Garrett Williamses on the team" which was an obvious reference to the quality of player we might draft with a 3rd round pick somehow related to an injury he's now recovered from?
I imagine he was referring to the impact of the player, which has been small due to pre-draft injury. Which is perfectly valid. Some of us didn't want redshirt freshman players.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And maybe none of these guys were willing to sign an extension with AZ which is why the Cardinals didn't trade for them, but that also isn't great news.
I wonder if players like this would be willing to sign an extension with nearly anyone, however. They have the leverage, and if a team goes in eyes wide open, like on the chase young deal, why not go for the trophy? Could be good for both parties.

Id imagine if the 9ers win it all, theyd have an easier time re signing Young than if they dont. And if they dont, do they want to re sign him? I like the chess moves part of the league.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I imagine he was referring to the impact of the player, which has been small due to pre-draft injury. Which is perfectly valid. Some of us didn't want redshirt freshman players.

So you think in reply to Krang saying "We shouldn't give away 3rd round picks on a rebuilding team" that K9 replied with "Yeah we shouldn't draft any more injured players"?

Makes sense.

I reckon you should stop imaging what he means because he's not coming out of it looking particularly bright.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So you think in reply to Krang saying "We shouldn't give away 3rd round picks on a rebuilding team" that K9 replied with "Yeah we shouldn't draft any more injured players"?

Makes sense.

I reckon you should stop imaging what he means because he's not coming out of it looking particularly bright.
This convo has become laughably surreal. Makes me smile on this overcast morning :)