Trade deadline 2023

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. There were even rumors here that the Stillers were interested. That would have been doubly pleasant--get draft capital back and screw the Stillers.
From all I read, it seems that ZE and his wife like living in Arizona. Do you think it was a convenient injury that landed him on IR. (Could be a plot for a movie).

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
So you think K9's point was "Can't wait to have more Garrett Williamses on the team" which was an obvious reference to the quality of player we might draft with a 3rd round pick somehow related to an injury he's now recovered from?
As I posted during last year’s draft, those pools were unusually deep. 2024 looks reasonably good too, but round three is not as clear yet. The portal has been the largest factor in generating deeper pools and that should continue to be the pattern. When we get closer, the depth will become more apparent. The NIL money make impact which players choose to come out. Some of the programs have so many rich donors that middle range players are getting overpaid.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I tried to explain the Cards won’t trade picks now or later for players until the Murray decision is made. If he’s traded they will need all the cap space they can generate and draft picks are the easiest way to get affordable players. That decision has not been made by Ossenfort. .

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
As THE guy which also isn’t guaranteed he’ll sign an extension with the team? Keim might think so, but not me.
I agree with the criticism of a lack of an extension. I just believe his talent is worth a 2nd round pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Every draft pick is a lottery pick.

It's hilarious that people agree the Bears trade was and then say the Cardinals should do the same damn thing trading for Chase Young.

Sheer lunacy.
I would counter that banking on a bunch of lottery picks over proven NFL players is also a form of lunacy.

My point is that we have three 3rd round picks, and are potentially going to acquire more prime picks if we keep Kyler and trade back from 1 or 2. Might as well use one of those lottery picks on some actual proven NFL talent.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I tried to explain the Cards won’t trade picks now or later for players until the Murray decision is made. If he’s traded they will need all the cap space they can generate and draft picks are the easiest way to get affordable players. That decision has not been made by Ossenfort. .
This is the justifiable answer for the Cardinals lack of spending.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this probably best explains Monti's decisions to date

I hope its true -- it suggests he thinks more than a couple moves down the line

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I would counter that banking on a bunch of lottery picks over proven NFL players is also a form of lunacy.
There is a long list of trades and free agency signings that have been disastrous.

The key advantage of the draft is how cheap the talent is.
My point is that we have three 3rd round picks, and are potentially going to acquire more prime picks if we keep Kyler and trade back from 1 or 2. Might as well use one of those lottery picks on some actual proven NFL talent.
One of those thirds could also be used to move up a few spots in the first round. Maybe the Cardinals are sitting at 15 and want to move up to 11 to get Newton

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think they will, just not now.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
In a nutshell this would explain what Monti has and hasn't done over the last 9+ months. With all those draft picks and the Kyler and Hollywood decisions it will be one of the most interesting offseasons I can remember.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In a nutshell this would explain what Monti has and hasn't done over the last 9+ months. With all those draft picks and the Kyler and Hollywood decisions it will be one of the most interesting offseasons I can remember.
Last year’s offseason was incredible but you are correct the upcoming off season will be like no other.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think they will, just not now.
I do believe the narrative that the primary reason for a lack of significant moves is that the Cardinals are holding onto the ability to trade Kyler (retaining cap space) if they need to based upon his performance. That is my belief in good intention with Monti and Gannon right now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree with the criticism of a lack of an extension. I just believe his talent is worth a 2nd round pick.
His talent is, but talent is only ONE factor in determining whether a trade is smart.

Having less than one season left makes him worth far less than a second pick, unless an extension is agreed upon before the trade.

If it was announced that the Bears traded a second round pick and Sweat had signed an extension long term, than the deal would be a good one. It's also a really bad trade if you consider that the Bears are going to be big time spenders in free agency and are very unlikely to get any comp pick.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do believe the narrative that the primary reason for a lack of significant moves is that the Cardinals are holding onto the ability to trade Kyler (retaining cap space) if they need to based upon his performance. That is my belief in good intention with Monti and Gannon right now.

I don't believe it's that. Honestly I firmly believe they are locked in on Kyler and Kyler would have to seriously wet the bed for them to move off him.

I just think deadline trades for top end talent are for competing teams. Makes more sense for them to keep the picks to trade later as more players will be available in the offseason.

They have too many draft picks to realistically use them on on rookies. Just too hard for teams to handle and coach that many at one time and have 20% of your roster tied up in newbs.

I think they will try come out of the draft with 8 or so players. They have 11, possibly 12 draft picks depending on the Dobbs trade. And I expect they will move back on at least one of the first round picks too for more capital.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't believe it's that. Honestly I firmly believe they are locked in on Kyler and Kyler would have to seriously wet the bed for them to move off him.

I just think deadline trades for top end talent are for competing teams. Makes more sense for them to keep the picks to trade later as more players will be available in the offseason.

They have too many draft picks to realistically use them on on rookies. Just too hard for teams to handle and coach that many at one time and have 20% of your roster tied up in newbs.

I think they will try come out of the draft with 8 or so players. They have 11, possibly 12 draft picks depending on the Dobbs trade. And I expect they will move back on at least one of the first round picks too for more capital.

Both things can be true. They can both really hope Kyler takes the reins and also have hedged their bets since March in case he doesn't/can't.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gannon in particular wished we'd been more aggressive in free agency last season knowing that the team could've maybe stolen a couple more wins and been in the hunt when Kyler was ready to go.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Both things can be true. They can both really hope Kyler takes the reins and also have hedged their bets since March in case he doesn't/can't.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gannon in particular wished we'd been more aggressive in free agency last season knowing that the team could've maybe stolen a couple more wins and been in the hunt when Kyler was ready to go.
we are still in the hunt... Kyler is just coming in to a series of 8 consecutive playoff clinching games!! 9 and 8 could get us a wildcard right?
we just gotta win out....thats all...easy peasy

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Then there's zero excuse for last offseason. Saving in case they have to trade Kyler is the only logical excuse to eschew 1/3 of the offseason.

Stout

Reaction score
we are still in the hunt... Kyler is just coming in to a series of 8 consecutive playoff clinching games!! 9 and 8 could get us a wildcard right?
we just gotta win out....thats all...easy peasy
He's great at those, right? *ducks* Wait, I'm not in the positive Kyler thread, am I?

I'll see myself out.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Thank God this didn’t happen.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He's great at those, right? *ducks* Wait, I'm not in the positive Kyler thread, am I?

I'll see myself out.
Lol... but it's true. If Kyler Murray is our starting QB against Cleveland this week our playoffs start at the opening kick.

Technically not playoff clinching until week 18 if a win gets us in ... but we do need to see kyler perform with some added outside pressure

Stout

Reaction score
Lol... but it's true. If Kyler Murray is our starting QB against Cleveland this week our playoffs start at the opening kick.

Technically not playoff clinching until week 18 if a win gets us in ... but we do need to see kyler perform with some added outside pressure
Our playoffs be long over, my friend.