Trade deadline 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I figured it would be handy to have a thread for the deadline action and discuss any Cardinals we think might move.

I wonder if Zaven Collins will be moved. Its a crowded room at Edge and Zaven hasn't shown any rush ability. He's done well at contain and dropping into coverage and he's picked up sacks on stunts but I'm not convinced he's a scheme fit or Edge is his natural position.

They have to decide on his 5th year option in March, it seems unlikely and it might be best to let another team make that decision.

With 3.5 sacks and an INT to his name, and a cheap year with an option remaining his value may never be higher.

If the FO wants to thin out the room with a view to drafting/signing a top guy next year Zaven seems like the prime candidate.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I figured it would be handy to have a thread for the deadline action and discuss any Cardinals we think might move.

I wonder if Zaven Collins will be moved. Its a crowded room at Edge and Zaven hasn't shown any rush ability. He's done well at contain and dropping into coverage and he's picked up sacks on stunts but I'm not convinced he's a scheme fit or Edge is his natural position.

They have to decide on his 5th year option in March, it seems unlikely and it might be best to let another team make that decision.

With 3.5 sacks and an INT to his name, and a cheap year with an option remaining his value may never be higher.

If the FO wants to thin out the room with a view to drafting/signing a top guy next year Zaven seems like the prime candidate.
Eh he's a guy I'd hold onto because I don't think you get enough in return to equal his on field value. He's a solid player.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
One last conspiracy theory on KK... :help:

Did the Cardinals take him off PUP list and practice him this week to show teams he was healthy before trade deadline?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh he's a guy I'd hold onto because I don't think you get enough in return to equal his on field value. He's a solid player.

I don't see the long term value.

I don't think they take his 5th year, and it seems unlikely, baring a huge leap as a rusher, that they extend him beyond next year. I think the highest odds are on him hitting FA, thinking he's been used out of position and moving elsewhere.

I could see him doing well somewhere like the Lions as an offball OLB. Take a late 3rd/early 4th for him while you can.

And if the FO has their eye on a Latu or Turner next year someone needs to go and for me the most obvious is Collins for the reasons above.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think you get that for Collins. He’s an average-ish starting strong side edge with little pass rush juice.

I’m also not in a big hurry to see more Cam Thomas, Victor Dimukegje, and BJ Ojulari either.

We need more Ojulari. Not giving him snaps in a dead year makes no sense.

Zaven Collins has a similar vibe to Jamie Collins. Similar testing, positional flexibility between off ball linebacker and edge rusher. Jamie Obvs played on a better team but he went for a 3rd at the deadline in his 4th year. And that was a very high 3rd.

I think a late 3rd or early 4th is achievable.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We could use one of them for sure
Yes and the Cardinals are just so devoid of talent upfront. Use a mid round pick to grab one, give that player an extension, and then add more talent in FA and the draft next year. Don't see a reason you can't start now. It won't make a huge difference this year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yes rumor is Atlanta offered a 3rd for him. Our third would most likely be higher than theirs. But along with that rumor they want a second.
Are you going to draft a DL next year with a 2nd, who's better than Sweat? Also,.Cards can sweeten the pot with another lower pick or 2, if they don't want to go higher than a 3rd.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I don't see why anyone would want to trade Collins. It would be another Reddick like mistake.
Personally I wished they would have moved him back to ILB next to White and kept Sanders. Still baffles me that someone like Jesse Luketa was kept over someone like Sanders. Reddick was a bit unique as he dominated at edge (and still is now) but unfortunately we waited too long to try him there and the 5th year option was already declined.