Trade candidates around the league

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jul 19, 2019.

1. devilalum

devilalum Heavily Redacted

Beal is going to command a PG13 kind of haul in return unless you also take Wall.

2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

If Griffin is truly available, I think the Suns could put together one of the best offers to get him. Its just they have not really tried out the Saric/Ayton combo. Saric is younger and might be a better complement for Ayton. Griffin is a true star and at a position where upgrading might make sense. It takes more bball wisdom than I have to know which is best. One choice adds another star, the other choice might make your present stars more effective (although Griffin is a good passer).

3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

This is why I put Beal as a player that could take the Suns to the next level.

I like some of the other players but I hesitate to mortgage the farm for them.

4. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Griffin has an atrocious contract and is NOT a star anymore. He puts up empty stats on a mediocre team, isn't a good defender, or rebounder and getting him and putting him next to Ayton would ensure we are stuck as a 40-50 win team for the duration of his deal.

No way Reilly or Jerry West would deal for him... in fact, West was WITH the Clippers after they signed Griffin to that contract and was then one of the loudest voices for getting rid of him to rebuild.

hcsilla likes this.
  5. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Beal would cost the world and I don't think he and Booker have complimenting talents.

Love is untouchable on that contract. The Cavs would have to pair it with a hefty load of assets just to be rid of it. He can't stay healthy and I question if if he will even be a quality starter in another year (he might not be one now).

Gordon makes sense but I have no clue what the cost would be. He is on a really friendly back loaded contract and, IMO, is a really underrated defender, I don't know why Orlando would move him unless they're blown away by an offer. If Orlando is dumping him in favor of gimmicky Bamba or the fools gold of Isaac... they're idiots.

6. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

The contract and the injury history scare me but he's still a star player. He is a beast on offense and he is a solid defender, he has consistently rated as a plus defender throughout his career. He's a great post play maker too. If Griffin would waive that 3rd year team option (which would keep us a major player in the 2021 free agency market) I'd be all over getting him. But, pretty sure he wouldn't consider it, and a 3 year marriage to his banged up body is too long and expensive.

7. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I like Booker better with a true point guard but I mentioned Beal because he is a star level player who might be available. Aaron Gordon might cost nearly as much.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  8. JCSunsfan

Ah. I was hoping your term was right and the concept wrong. You meant player option and you were right. Stink.

Still. I think I might do this. Position of need (for improvement), star player, two-way player. Not sure about Blake as a teammate. I am still intrigued by the Saric/Ayton combo though.

9. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Yep, you had the proper translation. I meant to type player option. Summer heat is effecting my brain.

10. JCSunsfan

He had one of his best statistical years ever, both offense and defense including advanced stats. I do not watch him closely enough to argue with you on this one, I am just not sure exactly where you are coming from on this. It is true that Jerry West dealt him. Do you know why? Quick rebuild with younger players is what I thought.

11. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

I think West traded him because he is being paid like a top 20 player in the league and unfortunately with the injuries, age and wear and tear, he is not that guy.

12. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Yeah, he was still a strong player for the Clippers but he was being paid like a superstar and he is at least a level below that now. He's not alone, it's interesting to me that something like 5 of the 9 highest paid players have now been traded since they got their big payday.

13. JCSunsfan

The super maxes are rediculous. They were designed for small market teams to keep superstars but now the Supermax almost guarantees a small market team has to trade their star player. Other teams benefit from a smaller deal because the former team could not pay the supermax—cousins and Kemba are examples.

14. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

I vehemently disagree with those examples.

The Kings chose to move on from Cousins, and every indication appears that they were justified in doing so (one of the few smart moves they've made in years). If they wanted to pay Cousins top dollar they could have kept him, but they let him go, not over money but because they felt like cashing out on an asset before everyone else knew what they knew; Cousins, achillies tear or not, isn't a difference maker and he never has been. They got better without him, the Pelicans and Warriors got worse with him.

As for Kemba Walker... the Hornets are idiots. I don't know what else to say. They have a near monopoly on "WTF!?!" contracts, and they only strengthened it by signing Rozier to that idiotic contract. They could have kept Walker, Walker indicated that he wanted to stay, but the Hornets, idiotically, thought it wiser to pay Rozier nearly 20 mil a year than pay Walker a max deal.

Moral of the story, in both situations, the team chose to move on from the player, not that they were priced out of retaining them.

15. JCSunsfan

I think both teams would have kept those players on regular max deals. They did not want to pay the supermax. Charlotte said as much. So both players took that to mean they were unwanted and moved on and signed max deals, not supermax deals with other teams.

Well. That is not correct for Cousins. Sacramento traded him before it came to a head.

The Suns are going to have that dilemma with Booker. He is fine on a max contract, but becomes a liability on a supermax.

John Wall is another example. Even healthy, he is not worth that deal. It would be better to lower, by a little, the max contract a team can offer a free agent from another team, and give the home team no max whatsoever. It would make it easier to resign players and make them more valuable in trade right to the end.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019