Pick Your Poison

GuernseyCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Per Overthecap.com -- Cards have $13mm in "effective" cap space and $24 mm in space overall -- with the diff between the two being rookie pool, filing out a roster, RFAs et. So, i am going to start with effective, and assume that the diff between overall and effective accounts for moves like bringing back Arnold and Gardeck, etc.

from the $13mm -- cutting Alford (+$7.5), Kennard ($4.3) and Gilbert ($1) can bring that total up to ~$26mm

thats not bad. Hopkins, Humphries, Philips and Baker all have contracts that can have salary converted to bonus to free up money next year -- so you can squeeze a bit more if needed.

the team cant go crazy - but in an environment where 13 teams have negative effective cap space and will have to put players on the market, depressing prices: they ought to be able to fill holes.

not all with big $ guys, but with guys that can play -- and they will go into the season needing whomever is their 1st round pick to come in and play at a decent level

Why would you cut Gilbert if he'll play for $1m?

You don't cut Kennard until you've settled the Reddick question.

The Jones and Pugh contracts also offer opportunities to create more space.

The $175M cap is not set in stone. There are still negotiations to be had and I doubt the NFLPA wants a host of their veteran membership out of the league or at a minimum salary at best.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I’m paying a guy $5 mil for 56 QB pressures & 12.5 sacks easily!!! I know it’s 1 year, but you have to also figure in they team finally put him where he belonged & he’s probably going to get better whether it’s in Az or elsewhere.

We’ve paid a lot more on the edge for a lot less production. But with that said, I doubt Reddick gets more than that on the open market
Reddick for $5 million? Not going to happen

GuernseyCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m paying a guy $5 mil for 56 QB pressures & 12.5 sacks easily!!! I know it’s 1 year, but you have to also figure in they team finally put him where he belonged & he’s probably going to get better whether it’s in Az or elsewhere.

We’ve paid a lot more on the edge for a lot less production. But with that said, I doubt Reddick gets more than that on the open market

He'll definitely get more than 5 on the open market!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Why would you cut Gilbert if he'll play for $1m?

You don't cut Kennard until you've settled the Reddick question.

The Jones and Pugh contracts also offer opportunities to create more space.

The $175M cap is not set in stone. There are still negotiations to be had and I doubt the NFLPA wants a host of their veteran membership out of the league or at a minimum salary at best.

Gilbert hasn’t been healthy for years. I don’t like Kennard at any price. You’re right about the cap though I think it will be close.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

imo: its to the Cards advantage for the cap to be $175

they are a competitive team with cap space, and hence an attractive destination where a guy can get $ and a chance to win (vs teams like the Jets, Jax, etc that have tons of space)

meanwhile, the Rams are $26mm over,
the Seahawks have $6mm in space but have no CBs under contract and have to give Jamaal Adams a contract,
SF has $13mm in space, but also has key guys like Trent Williams and all their starting CBs as UFA

outside the division, the Saints are $99mm (!!!) over and Packers are $28 over.

big reset coming this offseason

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I hate to ask but...... should we cut Alford? #HidesBehindSomething

GuernseyCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gilbert hasn’t been healthy for years. I don’t like Kennard at any price. You’re right about the cap though I think it will be close.

Gilbert was healthy going into 2020. He took the COVID package. If anything, he's probably healthier than he's been in years.

As for Kennard, I wouldn't take the $3.7m "dead money" hit until necessary.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
imo: its to the Cards advantage for the cap to be $175

they are a competitive team with cap space, and hence an attractive destination where a guy can get $ and a chance to win (vs teams like the Jets, Jax, etc that have tons of space)

meanwhile, the Rams are $26mm over,
the Seahawks have $6mm in space but have no CBs under contract and have to give Jamaal Adams a contract,
SF has $13mm in space, but also has key guys like Trent Williams and all their starting CBs as UFA

outside the division, the Saints are $99mm (!!!) over and Packers are $28 over.

big reset coming this offseason

Good points - but I'd still prefer the flexibility of a higher cap, internal contract adjustments, etc. before free agency.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
FSU was so bad he was hard to read. That’s what I mean about this year. He looked better previously but it must have been brutal to play for FSU this year. I don’t see him round 1. I’d like him a bunch if he fell to 3 but that’s unlikely. Tough call; there are things about him to like.
He seems like a guy we would have to take in round 2. Newsome II out of Northwestern is a guy I am interested to see more of. Can't place him yet, seems like a round 2 or 3 guy but not sure which.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I debated that one in my mind. He had some great games and others in which he made no impact. Also the caps are going down, plus this is an excellent edge draft. If he signs a one year deal and puts up a big year his dollars could get much bigger than I think will be out there this year. You’re right that Spotrac has him quite a bit higher. Of course they have Golden at $13 and I think that’s crazy. This is a weird edge market. Only time will tell.
The depth of the market at that spot and the depth in the draft along with the decrease in cap will hit that second group pretty hard IMO. I think Reddick gets more that his career production says he should but less than what some on this board think. Golden has never been valued by the rest of the league it seems and so 5 or 6 seems right for him and could actually be high. We like older and slower guys on defense so he would fit right in.

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm really not sold on any of the CB's in this class. They all give me the heebie jeebies.