Trade candidates around the league

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I liked Tobias Harris much more than Griffin when the Clippers traded for him but now he is making $180 million on a 5 year contract with the 76ers.

2. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I'm a huge Booker fan but if he qualifies for the super max we can only hope we're smart enough to move him the year before it happens. I don't believe anyone is worth the supermax, not from the perspective of winning a championship anyway. I guess someone like Yao Ming or even Lebron can justify that salary from a financial standpoint but I believe it's almost impossible to build a championship team with one or more SM players already on the roster.

But, as I've said several times before, the worst part about the supermax is that it has opened the door for a lot more players to be viewed as max or near max. Booker was nowhere near worthy of the max deal when it was signed but in today's market, thanks to the supermax, it's almost mandatory. Players like Devin and D'angelo Russell might eventually be worth the max (in any era) but it should be rare for it to occur on their first non-rookie deal.

GatorAZ likes this.
  3. Hoop Head

Hoop Head SeƱor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Didn't Steph recently sign the supermax? I think he could be the rare exception of someone getting it without it hindering their team's ability to stay competitive. They're in a unique situation in Golden State though because they're in a huge market with a brand new arena and already have all of their stars under contract. They had the opportunity to add a 4th star also because of how their other stars deals were staggered as far as when they expired.

Of course Steph helped them win a title before he got that supermax and if Booker can win us a title before his next deal, I don't give a damn if we pay him the supermax, he'll have earned it if we're NBA Champions though.

Ronin likes this.
  4. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I probably didn't explain myself well enough but I do think you can mix and match on a championship team with 1 or more maxed out stars, I just think you would almost always need the nucleus in place before the first Super max deal gets handed out.

5. Johninromania

Johninromania Rookie

From what I understand, the Bay Area outside the Giants is a horrible market. I forgot where I read it, but there are more Laker fans in the Bay Area then Warrior fans. I could be wrong, but I had the feeling when I visited the Bay Area that the warriors where second or third fiddle in that town.

6. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

My cousin is a psychiatrist in San Fran. He is a red-hot Giants fan, but couldn't care less about the Warriers across the Bay.

They have hardly been a strong Bay Area team. I don't understand why they didn't move them to San Francisco a long time ago.

7. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

How is this possible when he just had his lowest rebounding year EVER. A guy making that kind of money averaging 7.5 rebounds per game is pathetic. He's a mediocre at best defender, does nothing as far as rim protection. He's a very talented offensive player and gifted passer at the 4, but he put up good numbers on a mediocre team. He's not lifting anyone anywhere and his contract will sink anyone who expects him to.

Yes. Because he saw his play start to decline and his contract would choke a hippo and he couldn't build a contender around him.

Why you think West would trade for a guy on the wrong side of 30 who made minimal impact on Detroit is beyond me.

Would he help the Suns? Yes. Without a doubt. He'd help us be a 40-50 win team... but his contract would ensure that's exactly where they'd stay. If you're trying to build a title contender and you're a young team, trading for a blake griffin is exactly the way to raise your floor but completely limit your ceiling at the same time... in other words, a move Sarver would absolutely make.

8. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

I think Griffin is a poor fit, but his contract isn't the issue. Sure, he's paid too much, but he has only three years left. The Suns will be lucky to make the playoffs in 2021-22, never mind contend, so there's nothing wrong with building a 50-win roster in the short term.

The summer of 2022 is when the Suns will have to extend Ayton (and Bridges, if he's still around), so that's the date to keep an eye on. Before then, it doesn't really matter how much money they spend on whom.

I'm down on Griffin because he can't stay healthy, has a bad attitude, and doesn't help his team win. But I'm not bothered by his contract.

Krangthebrain and SirStefan32 like this.
  9. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

We have to crawl before we can walk. And walk before we can run.

I would love to see the Suns be a title contender but, given a half
    century of history, I would staff to become a strong playoff team
    before staffing for title contention.

It would be much easier to achieve the former than the latter.

10. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

He IS playing next to Drummond, who gets 22.5 rebounds per 100 possessions on a team that outrebounds its opponents. Kinda think Blake would have to steal boards from Drummond to get more.

Health would be an issue.

I am curious about ELindhom's bad attitude gripe. The Pistons went 1-7 when he did not play and 39 and 36 when he did play. He seems like he helps his team win. I am not sold on him by any means, but I am not sure I am buying all the criticism.

11. Johninromania

Johninromania Rookie

Yeah, great baseball town. Not so great football and basketball town. The Phoenix market is much more of a basketball town. It took years and years of basketball misery to dampen the enthusiasm for the Suns in this town. We will rise again. The Suns are the only team in town that the natives grew up with and they have a speacial place in our hearts for that reason.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  12. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Blake's injury history scares me, I'm really iffy on the idea of trading for him. But in regards to being stuck as a 40-50 win team, I think it is far easier to make the leap to contention if we're already a playoff team. Creating cap space isn't that difficult and if in 2 years we were a 50 win team with this young core and a massive expiring contract to work with, we'd be in pretty damn good shape.

Not sure if Blake is the guy to get us there, but I'm not turning down a star caliber player just because they've a fat 2 or 3 year contract. If there is someone who is a fit and won't cost us a ton of assets (because the player is on a fat contract) we should be open to it.

13. SunnyBaller

SunnyBaller Registered

Health is a reasonable concern but he was pretty healthy last year, and the sun's are supposed to have one of the best medical staffs so it wouldn't scare me too much , his contract as some one above pointed out expires before Ayton / bridges is up so it's not really an issue. He can turn them into a playoff team that's actually a free agent destination again which would be a massive step forward

14. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

Griffin has missed 99 games over the past four seasons.

15. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Interesting response here on Blake. Some opposed and some maybe. No one really enthusiastic.

I guess my reservation has to do with Saric. Blake is the star player but I am really intrigued by the idea that Saric could make Ayton a better player. I am not sure Blake would elevate Aytons game. We really need to see this team play some before we can really know what the next piece should be.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    BC867 likes this.