There's a New DJ in Town

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Mixed feelings about this pick. I'm not surprised they went OL. DJ is a surprise because their issue was mostly run blocking and while he has talent he has a great deal to learn. He has to potential to excel inside or out, so he threatens both right side guys' jobs. Still it not clear to me that he's a sure thing or will play much in 2015. He could be a steal or just another piece. Tough call!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not very familiar with him but I think the pick is interesting because it's not clear what type of OL we're building?

Left to right we have a LT who's a better pass blocker than run blocker, a LG who's a much better run blocker than pass blocker. A C who's pretty mediocre, a RG if it's Cooper who's a better run blocker than pass blocker, and a RT if it's Humphries who's a better pass blocker.

Maybe that's how you do it, pass blockers on the outside run guys on the inside but it's interesting because 4 of the 5 guys seem so not like each other as players.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Mixed feelings about this pick. I'm not surprised they went OL. DJ is a surprise because their issue was mostly run blocking and while he has talent he has a great deal to learn. He has to potential to excel inside or out, so he threatens both right side guys' jobs. Still it not clear to me that he's a sure thing or will play much in 2015. He could be a steal or just another piece. Tough call!

They have a year to develop him and for him to have dedication to the weight room on a professional basis. He'll pick up the nuances of the pro game. Good pick. We're set to go there. We're covered well heading into next year without having to shell out $$$$. This board should like that.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd guess he backs up for a year and learns RT while we decide if Massie is for real. I can't imagine we are going to try to push out Valdeer.

Veldheer has 4 more years on his contract and is a pro-bowl quality tackle. He's the starting LT. DJ will push Massie out, Massie is a UFA next season and is average at best.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Absolutely love the pick! Bobby Massey is an average NFL tackle. Jurecki posted the PFF stats putting him something like 42 out of 82 tackles last season. He struggles greatly against athletic speed rushers {see Von Miller in the Denver game last season}. That's not good enough in the NFC West.

D.J. sounds like a competitor with the athletic ability and the desire to become a pro-bowl tackle with good coaching. Keim even said if he went back for his senior year he could have been a top-ten pick. IF he can stay healthy, this could be a GREAT selection. Besides Carolina was ready to jump on him with the next pick.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Mixed feelings as well. Just doesn't Wow you. Maybe if two good pass rushers didnt go in the two picks right before us I would probably feel WAY better about the pick, but the way it went down made it sting a little.

We do know that the Cards keep a spreadsheet of Mental Errors, for practices, games, and so on. They even post them in the meeting rooms. Of the 5 OL starters, Massie had the most "ME's". So us fans may not have saw it as a need, but the Cards definitely did.

Time will tell.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Harry, who would you have taken yesterday when the Cards were on the clock? Curious..

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I am not very familiar with him but I think the pick is interesting because it's not clear what type of OL we're building?

Left to right we have a LT who's a better pass blocker than run blocker, a LG who's a much better run blocker than pass blocker. A C who's pretty mediocre, a RG if it's Cooper who's a better run blocker than pass blocker, and a RT if it's Humphries who's a better pass blocker.

Maybe that's how you do it, pass blockers on the outside run guys on the inside but it's interesting because 4 of the 5 guys seem so not like each other as players.

I dunno. From watching tape last year, Veldheer is a pretty fantastic two-way player. Any run deficiencies were from poor play from Cooper and Larsen.

From what I saw last year in Cooper's limited reps (only 184 snaps), he was a better pass blocker than run blocker. Good at handling stunts and passing off guys to pick up blitzers and stuff.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I dunno. From watching tape last year, Veldheer is a pretty fantastic two-way player. Any run deficiencies were from poor play from Cooper and Larsen.

From what I saw last year in Cooper's limited reps (only 184 snaps), he was a better pass blocker than run blocker. Good at handling stunts and passing off guys to pick up blitzers and stuff.

Wolfley said from his conversations with Cooper this off-season indicate that Cooper hadn't recovered from his original injury last season. He had no strength in his base set-up and wound up on the ground most plays. If true (and Wolf is the biggest team homer on the planet-so who knows), suggests to me Cooper would have been weak in his Run Blocking - and something that should show drastic improvement this year.

No doubt, this is make or break time for Cooper. Please let him not get injured again.

Regarless of who I thought we should have taken in the 1st, I'm looking forward to watching this line play. Also curious as to who will man the Center position - Sendlein or Shipley (sp?). I think both are going to be exposed.

Go Cards!!!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

How about 5 guys that just do their job?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wolfley said from his conversations with Cooper this off-season indicate that Cooper hadn't recovered from his original injury last season. He had no strength in his base set-up and wound up on the ground most plays. If true (and Wolf is the biggest team homer on the planet-so who knows), suggests to me Cooper would have been weak in his Run Blocking - and something that should show drastic improvement this year.

No doubt, this is make or break time for Cooper. Please let him not get injured again.

Regarless of who I thought we should have taken in the 1st, I'm looking forward to watching this line play. Also curious as to who will man the Center position - Sendlein or Shipley (sp?). I think both are going to be exposed.

Go Cards!!!

Sendlein got cut like a month and a half ago. It's not going to be him. It'll be Larsen or Shipley.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sendlein got cut like a month and a half ago. It's not going to be him. It'll be Larsen or Shipley.

Was going to say he got cut, or did I miss something. I think Larsen will do well as C.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Carolina no doubt would've taken him. Their offensive line is a dumpster fire. Michael Oher is their presumptive starting LT.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's a fair point the guys playing next to you make an impact on how good you look and they were not good run blockers.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
On the road, I think Jones the Ct CB would have been my pick. More later on DJ

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
DJ/ mixed feelings: well played.

Appearing at a club near you: DJ Turnstile.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance that Humphries or Massie will move to RG and Coop to center?

I'd just like to see Cooper be able to move from the bench to the field.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any chance that Humphries or Massie will move to RG and Coop to center?

I'm happy with the pick (my mantra this offseason has been: ""feed the trenches"). Massie has played well enough for a 4th rounder but as several have posted he isn't more than average at this point. BA has stated several times that Massie isn't an OG so my guess would be that DJ either beats Massie out at RT or wins the RG position.

I would love for DJ to win the RG spot and Cooper be good enough to win the OC spot. The Oline would be very special at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard