THE WAY OF THE GUNN - DCU’S NEW ERA

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought there was so much DC news lately that maybe I’d make one thread to keep track of the new universe Gunn seems intent on making.

Maybe we can post all rumors and castings here so we can put the pieces together on one thread.

I’ll go first… apparently Jason Mamoa is done playing Aquaman… but is now going to possibly play… Lobo?!

That won’t be kinda confusing at all…

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Thought there was so much DC news lately that maybe I’d make one thread to keep track of the new universe Gunn seems intent on making.

Maybe we can post all rumors and castings here so we can put the pieces together on one thread.

I’ll go first… apparently Jason Mamoa is done playing Aquaman… but is now going to possibly play… Lobo?!

That won’t be kinda confusing at all…

Jason Momoa is perfect for Lobo though.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A
Jason Momoa is perfect for Lobo though.
im sure Gunn is right. Dude is on another level heater right now between Guardians, Suicide Squad, Peacemaker
And the Guardians Holiday Special.

Just wonder if the general public is gonna think that’s really weird… especially with Aqua 2 coming out next year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It doesn't matter which role he would be better for/would have been better for. He was already Aquaman. It would be weird to move from one super hero movie to another; it's beyond weird to do it in the same studio. Just wouldn't make sense and would lose viewers, IMO.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter which role he would be better for/would have been better for. He was already Aquaman. It would be weird to move from one super hero movie to another; it's beyond weird to do it in the same studio. Just wouldn't make sense and would lose viewers, IMO.

Meh. It's aliens with superpowers. I think people can suspend disbelief if the stories are good. I will, however, cringe at the inevitable 'cute callback to Aquaman moment' while he's in the Lobo character.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Meh. It's aliens with superpowers. I think people can suspend disbelief if the stories are good. I will, however, cringe at the inevitable 'cute callback to Aquaman moment' while he's in the Lobo character.
Gotta get the butts in the seats and people to give the story a chance. I don't think it's a great call. But, I have no skin in the game. The project doesn't interest me, so my opinion on the matter may not be a relevant one.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In hindsight, it worked well for Marvel. Chris Evans was Johnny Storm/Human Torch in 2005 and 2007 in the Fantastic Four films and then became Captain America in 2011. I remember that move being questioned at the time, but it would be hard to imagine another actor being the original Cap since he did such a great job, IMHO.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
In hindsight, it worked well for Marvel. Chris Evans was Johnny Storm/Human Torch in 2005 and 2007 in the Fantastic Four films and then became Captain America in 2011. I remember that move being questioned at the time, but it would be hard to imagine another actor being the original Cap since he did such a great job, IMHO.

Totally agree, but the Fantastic 4 wasn't a block buster hit and people sort of forgot he was the torch. I know I did. :p

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree, but the Fantastic 4 wasn't a block buster hit and people sort of forgot he was the torch. I know I did. :p

Felt that way to me too, so I checked Wikipedia and they claim the difference in worldwide box office for the first of each movie was only about $30 million with Cap besting FF.

I don't know what that tells us, LOL!

To Stout's earlier point, though, they were different studios even though they both originated from Marvel Comics.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Felt that way to me too, so I checked Wikipedia and they claim the difference in worldwide box office for the first of each movie was only about $30 million with Cap besting FF.

I don't know what that tells us, LOL!

To Stout's earlier point, though, they were different studios even though they both originated from Marvel Comics.
Biggest difference is Aquaman was a billion dollar hit and a sequel is coming out next year. Are they gonna turn around and have him as Lobo a couple years later? Makes the circumstances a little different between FF which kinda disappeared like a fart in the wind and there was a four year gap until Cap 1.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biggest difference is Aquaman was a billion dollar hit and a sequel is coming out next year. Are they gonna turn around and have him as Lobo a couple years later? Makes the circumstances a little different between FF which kinda disappeared like a fart in the wind and there was a four year gap until Cap 1.

The FF sequel appears to have done almost the same money as the first one and then like you said, four years until The First Avenger.

I don't know what DC is going to do, but I don't think that JM playing both roles is that big of a turn off to the audience. Though I certainly don't speak for everyone. There are a lot of variables here. I still like the role for him and hope they put out a good Lobo story. It really needs to be rated R and I don't know if they're feeling bold enough to do that here or not.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Cavill out, new Superman movie in development without him. This likely confirms Gadot and Momoa are out too. Clean slate reboot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of this is pretty fascinating.

And for whatever handwringing there is for Cavill, his OG Superman movie made less than Iron Man (which was UNTHINKABLE at that point), his sequel follow up Batman v. Superman was reviled and despite a big opening paled in comparison box office to Civil War and Justice League was a total abomination on screen and at the box office. And according to the numbers from HBOMAX only loyal die hards watched the Snyder Cut (which was admittedly much better than the movie that came out).

In other words, Cavill wasn’t exactly lighting up the screens as Superman and had barely been part of the franchise outside a third act resurrection in Justice League since 2016. By the time a new Superman movie comes out, it will be 2024 at the earliest, so almost a decade since Cavill really made any impact in theaters.

And please spare me some “But the Black Adam credits sequence!” no one gives a crap about what happened in Black Adam. That movie blew away like a fart in the wind.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Henry Cavill not coming back. BIG mistake. Possibly fatal for DCEU.

Henry gone is a big mistake. He was born to be Superman. Hopefully they'll come to their senses. He's the one thing Snyder did right.

As for Momoa, it'd be fine if they did move him over to play Lobo. Aquaman wasn't that iconic of a movie even though it grossed a billion (I'm still surprised it did $800m international to make that). It's most likely not happening though with the Cavill news.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait… Cavill is also being eyed to play a different DC Character too?!

Okay. This is fascinating.

Oh, and Gunn is writing and directing the new Superman movie?

Forget all reservations. I’m all in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose