THE WAY OF THE GUNN - DCU’S NEW ERA

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
All of this is pretty fascinating.

And for whatever handwringing there is for Cavill, his OG Superman movie made less than Iron Man (which was UNTHINKABLE at that point), his sequel follow up Batman v. Superman was reviled and despite a big opening paled in comparison box office to Civil War and Justice League was a total abomination on screen and at the box office. And according to the numbers from HBOMAX only loyal die hards watched the Snyder Cut (which was admittedly much better than the movie that came out).

In other words, Cavill wasn’t exactly lighting up the screens as Superman and had barely been part of the franchise outside a third act resurrection in Justice League since 2016. By the time a new Superman movie comes out, it will be 2024 at the earliest, so almost a decade since Cavill really made any impact in theaters.

And please spare me some “But the Black Adam credits sequence!” no one gives a crap about what happened in Black Adam. That movie blew away like a fart in the wind.

I put this more on Snyder than Cavill. I'd love to see a good Superman movie with Henry in it and not the trash movies that Snyder made. None of those movies were any good. I know I'm not alone in that desire either.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Wait… Cavill is also being eyed to play a different DC Character too?!

Okay. This is fascinating.

Oh, and Gunn is writing and directing the new Superman movie?

Forget all reservations. I’m all in.

Sorry, if I implied. I didn't mean to. I haven't seen or heard anything like that. My two paragraphs are disjointed statements with me catching up.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put this more on Snyder than Cavill. I'd love to see a good Superman movie with Henry in it and not the trash movies that Snyder made. None of those movies were any good. I know I'm not alone in that desire either.
Cavill was a good Supes, no doubt, but he was never embraced as the end all be all because his movies started okay and slid to utter suckitude on a major sliding scale.

DC has been broken as far as shared universes go. Couldn't just keep an actor here or an actor there and reboot others. now THAT would be beyond confusing. especially with them already having made bad crossovers. Sometimes you gotta burn the forest to save it. This is one of those times.

In Gunn I trust.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, if I implied. I didn't mean to. I haven't seen or heard anything like that. My two paragraphs are disjointed statements with me catching up.

no, no. I just read an article that stated such! That's bananas. I love it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Imagine a world where the DCU is on par with the MCU. Yeah, we don't live in that world.

But maybe we will soon.

The character is iconic, but Henry Cavill as the character is not. Origin stories, especially from DC, are done to death, but maybe it's time for Superman to get rebooted -- Man of Steel was a wreck between Costner's demise and the entire 3rd act being a bloodbath, it's hard to come back from that -- throw in the abomination of Batman vs Superman and the crapfest known as Justice League and I don't necessarily blame the new guys for wanting to go in a different direction.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
no, no. I just read an article that stated such! That's bananas. I love it.

Ah, timing was perfect with our posts. I haven't read that yet but I'm going to have to now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Eh, I know some people are eyeing him for Captain Brittain for MCU. What this MIGHT mean is, this would open him up for Bond and Connor MacLeod.

I'm NOT sold on James Gunn's plan.
That's just it, right now nobody knows what the plan is outside of him writing a younger Superman movie and cancelling or recasting the rest. They have a "slate" but we don't know what it is yet. I don't see how anyone except James Gunn is sold on his plan so far.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, I know some people are eyeing him for Captain Brittain for MCU. What this MIGHT mean is, this would open him up for Bond and Connor MacLeod.

I'm NOT sold on James Gunn's plan yet.
Gunn can do no wrong in the Superhero genre at this point. The greatness of a cotton candy-esque Guardians Xmas special cemented that for me. I mean, that could have and would have likely been terrible in anyone else's hands, but it was supremely entertaining. Throw that next the 1st Guardians and Peacemaker as absolute knocked out of the park, grand slam homeruns and two really solid entries between Guardians 2 and new Suicide Squad, and there's no better hands to fix a broken DC universe, IMO.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's just it, right now nobody knows what the plan is outside of him writing a younger Superman movie and cancelling or recasting the rest. They have a "slate" but we don't know what it is yet. I don't see how anyone except James Gunn is sold on his plan so far.
That's fair, but excluding Cavill and Gadot is not on it's face supportable.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe in James Gunn.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's fair, but excluding Cavill and Gadot is not on it's face supportable.
I actually like Momoa as Aquaman, because he took a limp character and him interesting and cool.

And I pray that they keep Gadot as Wonder Woman. She was born for that role. I would say right now, Gadot is the closest thing to THE character, like Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans are for theirs.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I DON'T believe in James Gunn yet, but I'll give him a fair shake. Booting Cavill is NOT a good move.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Gunn can do no wrong in the Superhero genre at this point. The greatness of a cotton candy-esque Guardians Xmas special cemented that for me. I mean, that could have and would have likely been terrible in anyone else's hands, but it was supremely entertaining. Throw that next the 1st Guardians and Peacemaker as absolute knocked out of the park, grand slam homeruns and two really solid entries between Guardians 2 and new Suicide Squad, and there's no better hands to fix a broken DC universe, IMO.
It would have been the Star Wars Christmas Special in anyone else's hands.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree, but only my opinion. I don't like Guardians, and SS is just stupid.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I DON'T believe in James Gunn yet, but I'll give him a fair shake. Booting Cavill is NOT a good move.
Why? I'm curious, what makes Cavill so "Superman" for everybody? Outside of possibly the first half of Man of Steel and maybe a scene late in Justice League, there is nothing that makes him stand out. When I think Henry Cavill, I don't automatically think "Superman." Christopher Reeve, though, will always be Superman first. Cavill just ain't there yet.

Hell, Momoa is more identifiable as Aquaman than Cavill is as Superman.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The short of it is Gunn wants to do Smallville.

What any fan of Superman wants is this. Cavill really wanted to do this version. It sucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chap, I don't think I could be any more specific than I believe he is just a perfect embodiment of the character. I know everyone refers to Reeve, and I'll accept that but after him it's Cavill. IMO.

To further the point, I don't think Gunn could find a BETTER replacement for Cavill. I suspect the decision might be COST based, but outside Tom Welling for a younger Supes (which is what Gunn says he wants), I can't think of a better person than Cavill.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson