THE WAY OF THE GUNN - DCU’S NEW ERA

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Why? I'm curious, what makes Cavill so "Superman" for everybody? Outside of possibly the first half of Man of Steel and maybe a scene late in Justice League, there is nothing that makes him stand out. When I think Henry Cavill, I don't automatically think "Superman." Christopher Reeve, though, will always be Superman first. Cavill just ain't there yet.

Hell, Momoa is more identifiable as Aquaman than Cavill is as Superman.

For me it's his size and look. When I see him I see Superman, not someone playing Superman. If he had been giving a script like Donner's Superman instead of Snyder's dark mess I think people would see him the way they see Reeve as Superman.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap, I don't think I could be any more specific than I believe he is just a perfect embodiment of the character. I know everyone refers to Reeve, and I'll accept that but after him it's Cavill. IMO.

To further the point, I don't think Gunn could find a BETTER replacement for Cavill. I suspect the decision might be COST based, but outside Tom Welling for a younger Supes (which is what Gunn says he wants), I can't think of a better person than Cavill.
Of course I think Cavill is the next best Superman after Reeve, but we're only talking about Brandon Routh as the only other option.

Cavill has the look, but the character wasn't HIS. Hard to explain. You can't picture anybody outside of Robert Downey Jr. to play Iron Man, but there are certainly options beyond Cavill for Superman.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For me it's his size and look. When I see him I see Superman, not someone playing Superman. If he had been giving a script like Donner's Superman instead of Snyder's dark mess I think people would see him the way they see Reeve as Superman.
Perhaps, but we aren't there and likely never will be there, especially if they want to take the character younger.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course I think Cavill is the next best Superman after Reeve, but we're only talking about Brandon Routh as the only other option.

Cavill has the look, but the character wasn't HIS. Hard to explain. You can't picture anybody outside of Robert Downey Jr. to play Iron Man, but there are certainly options beyond Cavill for Superman.
Chap I know we've had our differences in the past, but I raise my glass to you in this. Merry Christmas.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going younger Supes is the best way to distance from Cavill. That’s a smart move.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Eh, just my personal opinion. Not for me. I won't deride anyone's affinity for it. It's just me.
Then it's not surprising that you will likely not like anything that Gunn comes up with because you don't like anything he's done previously. Is that a fair assumption? You already have some preconceived notions about the guy. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it does introduce a bit of a bias into your opinion.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He wants to do young superman
Yeah in Metropolis. The equivalency isn't there. Unless you are making the leap that he wants to do the last season or two of Smallville as a movie.

But Smallville ended 12 years ago, and the DCU is going to be a lot different as Gunn won't go the route of the tv show(s) that DC has put out over the last several years.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then it's not surprising that you will likely not like anything that Gunn comes up with because you don't like anything he's done previously. Is that a fair assumption? You already have some preconceived notions about the guy. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it does introduce a bit of a bias into your opinion.
Perhaps, but we're talking a far different situation aren't we? He's not doing GotG, he's now in charge of the DCEU.

Like I said, his first big move is to can Cavill as Superman? Doesn't elicit confidence.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah in Metropolis. The equivalency isn't there. Unless you are making the leap that he wants to do the last season or two of Smallville as a movie.

But Smallville ended 12 years ago, and the DCU is going to be a lot different as Gunn won't go the route of the tv show(s) that DC has put out over the last several years.

The equivalent is 100% there. Its Superboy and it sucks

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Perhaps, but we're talking a far different situation aren't we? He's not doing GotG, he's now in charge of the DCEU.

Like I said, his first big move is to can Cavill as Superman? Doesn't elicit confidence.
Well, that really wasn't his first big move. He's also beholden to his overlords at WBD, which from what I've heard is a total ****show. His first duty was cancelling the 3rd Wonder Woman movie, and seeing how bad Jenkins handled the second, that probably wasn't that bad of an idea.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
BTW, speaking of Reeve's Superman. If any of you guys have any sway on this, we really need a UHD release of Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut. I'll put my pre-order in right now. :)

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A far aside, but as a son of an Air Force pilot Jenkins' Rogue One video spoke to me. It's such a clusterf, but it's really too bad the whole Rogue Squadron and Wonder Woman thing is falling apart..

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
BTW, speaking of Reeve's Superman. If any of you guys have any sway on this, we really need a UHD release of Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut. I'll put my pre-order in right now. :)
I wouldn't hold your breath. There is a lot of grumbling that the Warner Bros. we've all known for 100 years is no more. Discovery is gutting the studio.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it's not. Come on. He was in his 20s by the time he was in Metropolis.

Okay so if you think we are going to do a Superboy that isn't a snarky kid with James Gunn...

I mean what would make you think that isn't what Superboy going to be?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold your breath. There is a lot of grumbling that the Warner Bros. we've all known for 100 years is no more. Discovery is gutting the studio.
Trust me, I'm not. I've mostly given up on it. It's on my short list of movies though that I want to see a UHD release of though.

They're claiming we're finally going to the the UHD for The Abyss though next year so hell might be freezing over. I had given up on that one too. :)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
My full concern here is we are going to go from Injustice Superman to snarkfest Superboy.

Just tell a good adult heroic and pure Superman story.

Adult is the key word here to me. I thought for a long time that WB screwed up by not making the DC films more adult, even throw in some R rated ones, as a counter to Disneyfied Marvel. They could do the edgier, more adult story lines that Marvel can't do right now.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My full concern here is we are going to go from Injustice Superman to snarkfest Superboy.

Just tell a good adult heroic and pure Superman story.
And that's why getting rid of Cavill is wrong, IMO. Is anyone REALLY interested in Superboy, or the timeframe Gunn indicated? Cavill's interpretation is the best (or at least best recent version) and eliminating it in favor of an untested and seemingly unwanted version of the character doesn't make sense.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I’m also not inspired by the recent moves. I think DC had a really solid base with Cavill, Gadot, and Momoa. I thought all three were perfectly cast. Given the right scripts, they could have really moved the needle for DC.

I like Gunn, loved what he did with Guardians and Peacemaker, but I thought the Suicide Squad re-do was bad.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Gunn after 2 weeks despite me loving him in Marvel

Attachments

• Fonzie prepares to jump the shark on Happy Days.jpg
    Fonzie prepares to jump the shark on Happy Days.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2