The Stars Aligned Over Philly for Cardinals and Reddick

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Haason Reddick wore a Cardinal red tie last night. Here he was standing on the stage at Franklin Park 20 miles from where he grew up in Camden, NJ and a mere minutes from Temple University where, without any Division 1 scholarships (thanks to a broken leg in high school), he walked on as a defensive back and somehow managed to pry open a small window of opportunity and mold it into a stunning skylight of dream come trues.

When asked about the Cardinal red tie, Reddick said “I felt that this (being selected by the Cardinals) was going to happen…I was determined to get here.”

Credit Haason Reddick’s extraordinary determination---after his first walk-on year at Temple and facing the fact that a Temple scholarship still had not been awarded to him, he now had to hang on by a thread of hope, to the point of his mother having to take out a loan just to get her son a meal ticket so that he could eat with the other players---Reddick never lost sight of his dreams.

Credit fate…as well. Uncanny fate, really.

Everything had to happen the way it did:

* Note: heading into Reddick’s senior season, no one had his name listed on any top 300 NFL prospect lists for the 2017 NFL Draft. “C’mon, man!” How many 6-1, 235 pound college defensive ends ever even get a whiff of the NFL draft?

1. Reddick had to have a magnificent senior season. He had to show that regardless of where the coaches put him, he could be super productive. Check.

2. He had to be invited to the Senior Bowl and play at a near elite level there. Check.

3. He had to ace the Combine. Check.

4. Three QBs had to be taken in the top 12 picks.

5. Reuben Foster had to screw up in a major way.

6. Malik Hooker had to be flagged for potential medical concerns (labrum, hernia).

7. Same for Jonathan Allen (shoulders).

8. Leonard Fournette, Corey Davis, Christian McCaffrey, Mike Williams and John Ross had to be taken in the top 12…making it a whopping 8 offensive players taken in the first 12 picks in a draft that is loaded with defensive standouts.

And in a oddly influential way---the Cardinals’ widely-publicized pre-draft interest in QB Patrick Mahomes helped to create the QB frenzy in the top 12 picks.

Furthermore---if the Patriots trade CB Malcolm Butler to the Saints, then perhaps the Saints, who apparently were very high on Reuben Foster and Haason Reddick, wouldn’t have felt the need to take the top rated CB Marshon Lattimore at #11.

One could argue that of any of these developments didn’t happen, then Haason Reddick would not have become the #1 pick of the Arizona Cardinals.

We know how deep and talented this draft is – and to learn that Reddick was #5 on Steve Keim’s board is highly significant.

To learn too that Keim considered Reddick “more flexible” than Foster is important in understanding the Cardinals’ 2017 draft plan – to seek, find and select “2 for 1” players who can help the team in a variety of ways.

With Reddick, it is a mistake to try to pigeon-hole him to a position. The whole point with Reddick is his flexibility. He can rush the passer from a variety of angles. He can chase the ball from the edge or as a stack LB. He can cover RBs and TEs. And he can spy on running QBs.

When you look at his game --- and I know BA mentioned Von Miller-type qualities that he sees in Reddick because Reddick’s and Miller’s combine numbers are almost identical, save that Miller is a little over an inch taller and was 10 pounds heavier---but a better comparison perhaps may be to Adrian Wilson.

Check these Combine numbers out:

40 Wilson (4.53); Reddick (4.52)

225 Bench press: Wilson (21 reps); Reddick (24 reps)

Vertical Leap: Wilson (39.5”); Reddick (36.5”)

Broad Jump Wilson (120”); Reddick (133”)

Adrian Wilson was, by far, the greatest non-DE/DT, pass rusher in the history of the Arizona Cardinals. Why the Cardinals didn’t rush him more than they did has always mystified me. At times, he was unstoppable.

The thing is --- here is how versatile Haason Reddick is: even at 6-1 237, he could be a superb SS for the Cardinals. The SS position in the Cardinals’ defense is tailor made for a TFL, sack artist, who can be speedy enough to cover RBs and TEs. Consider this: the Cardinals nearly turned Tony Jefferson into an All-Pro.

Jefferson wasn’t drafted because he ran a 4.75 at the Combine. Plus, it didn’t help that every pundit during Jefferson’s draft year watched Tavon Austin blaze and weave through the Sooner defense for more miles than the tumbleweeded stretch from Enid to Oklahoma City.

Reddick runs a legit 4.5. He has even run some sub 4.5s.

The coaches will move Reddick around and make offenses pay attention to him the way they did when Adrian Wilson was in his prime. I don’t even think Reddick at times will have a definable position --- he will be a hybrid SS/OLB/ILB/NLB/QBspy. His role will be as simple as BA puts it: “see ball, get ball.” “You got dat dude; cover dat dude.”

The Cardinals’ selection of Haason Reddick fits in beautifully with this being a season of odysseys for the Arizona Cardinals.

· The Philly connection.

· The BA Temple connection.

· The “7” connection --- Peterson and Mathieu.

· The Red connection.

Yes, Haason Reddick…”this was going to happen.” Thanks to your 8 month meteoric rise up the draft boards (by acing every step along the way while numerous others faltered) and thanks to all the vicissitudes of one of the most bizarre nights in the history of the NFL draft.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Luck is the residue of design" - Branch Rickey

Haasan Reddick and the Cardinals have been excellent "designers." and now the two are together.

How lucky.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Then I wish one of them never happened. I really think it's significant that keim had him rated 5th. And in a bad way.

Maybe he meant 5th best defensive player.

From unrated to top 5. Don't like it at all.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Then I wish one of them never happened. I really think it's significant that keim had him rated 5th. And in a bad way.

Definitely 5th overall. They fell in love with his athleticism, and potentially his ability to be moved all over the field. Game tape doesn't do him justice based upon what he was asked to do at Temple.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

Jeeesus H. Christ. Shaddup about it already.

We get it, you're not happy. Now go sulk away.

I just hope you're not praying for the kid to fail just so you can play the "I told you so" game. Primarily because his failure will also be our favorite teams' failure as well. Also because that's just wrong.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Definitely 5th overall. They fell in love with his athleticism, and potentially his ability to be moved all over the field. Game tape doesn't do him justice based upon what he was asked to do at Temple.
Game tape should be the#1 criteria for draftees. The combine is used to justify what is seen on tape. After that comes off field issues and character which moves a guy up or down along with medical.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Speculation had Cincy taking him. He should pan out fine. He'll add some fire to the coverage teams as well. Just another big bonus u get from him.

Sure didn't see the 3 WR's going that high.

Plenty of D talent left still.

Man I'd love to see them trade back into the 2nd round and have two of their primary targets fall into their laps.

If they don't get Kizer I see CB and S maybe OL and WR as day two targets.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, what does it matter whether he was a late riser? Were there legit reasons or was it a fluke?

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Jeeesus H. Christ. Shaddup about it already.

We get it, you're not happy. Now go sulk away.

I just hope you're not praying for the kid to fail just so you can play the "I told you so" game. Primarily because his failure will also be our favorite teams' failure as well. Also because that's just wrong.
I never hope a guy fails and I'll continue to post if I don't like something. Just as I would if like something. You don't like it, there's always the ignore option.

If you want to go back to last year, I applauded the knemdiche pick.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Game tape should be the#1 criteria for draftees. The combine is used to justify what is seen on tape. After that comes off field issues and character which moves a guy up or down along with medical.
At temple he was asked to be a very undersized DE because they needed speed off the edge, and he still did great. I'm not sure what the Cards have in store for him, but I'm guessing he'll play inside and be a huge presence rushing the A gap and creating havoc all over the place.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
At temple he was asked to be a very undersized DE because they needed speed off the edge, and he still did great. I'm not sure what the Cards have in store for him, but I'm guessing he'll play inside and be a huge presence rushing the A gap and creating havoc all over the place.
And that's one of my concerns. You're drafting a guy 13and asking him to do something he has not done before at any level of football.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I'll continue to post if I don't like something. Just as I would if like something.

In every thread that even remotely mentions the "something?"

For how long? Let me guess: Up until you're proven wrong, or proven right. In the meantime, you will bleat your heart out every chance you get, while missing out on the actual discussion in the thread you're posting in.

Why not just ask the mods for a sticky thread since your goal is to make sure EVERYONE knows your likes and dislikes?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Jim I told you months ago that Reddick & Davis were gonna fly up draft boards. :mrgreen:

Look at it this way, we didn't draft Levi Clown, Cooper, R Bustniche, Niklas or Blogan Thomas with this pick I promise you. This guy wants to play hard, has a desire to be good & will give the Redbirds his heart & soul...and he's talented!!!

Keim has been pretty successful with these Swiss Army knife/conversion players & that's fact. Step away from the Grand Canyon ledge & enjoy because Big Red added a darn good player:mrgreen:

Buckybird

Reaction score
Dead on Mitch! :thumbup:

I truly believe that they had Watson & Mahomes in there top 5 as well & would've taken the QB on the board @13. Oh well...one of these days lol :lol:

Big Red drafted a darn good player yesterday who will have impact in 2017!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch I have to give you credit. You've have been pimping Reddick as the Cardinals pick since the Senior Bowl.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Why not just ask the mods for a sticky thread since your goal is to make sure EVERYONE knows your likes and dislikes?
That's a great idea. Mods, what do you think?

What should I do if I'm neutral on a subject?

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Jim I told you months ago that Reddick & Davis were gonna fly up draft boards. :mrgreen:

Look at it this way, we didn't draft Levi Clown, Cooper, R Bustniche, Niklas or Blogan Thomas with this pick I promise you. This guy wants to play hard, has a desire to be good & will give the Redbirds his heart & soul...and he's talented!!!

Keim has been pretty successful with these Swiss Army knife/conversion players & that's fact. Step away from the Grand Canyon ledge & enjoy because Big Red added a darn good player:mrgreen:
You were dead on. Kudos. Especially with Davis. Top 5.

I'm not on the ledge and and don't even dislike the player. I dislike the pick with more talented players on the board.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dead on Mitch! :thumbup:

I truly believe that they had Watson & Mahomes in there top 5 as well & would've taken the QB on the board @13. Oh well...one of these days lol :lol:
When the Houston trade came thru, I wondered if the Cards had Watson at the top of their board with Reddick #2. Maybe. We'll never know. Whether or not Cleveland made the trade or not was irrelevant to me - I had Cleveland taking Watson at #12 anyway.

Here's what I think - The pick is in. Time to stop looking thru a rear view mirror and instead ask ourselves: "Well, we've got this kid. What have we got. How can he help us win?"

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In every thread that even remotely mentions the "something?"

For how long? Let me guess: Up until you're proven wrong, or proven right. In the meantime, you will bleat your heart out every chance you get, while missing out on the actual discussion in the thread you're posting in.

He is allowed to have an opinion. It's OK for you to disagree. It's called a debate.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Mitch I have to give you credit. You've have been pimping Reddick as the Cardinals pick since the Senior Bowl.
He & Davis were my guys as well. Sorry to steal your thunder Mitch. I was pimpin him hard & some thought it was silly :mrgreen:

For some reason I always look early for the under the radar guys whom I think will climb draft boards once the hard scouting & evaluations start!

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/fo...-reuben-foster-how-about.245934/#post-3456389

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Why did anyone actually think the Cards we entertain a QB this year at 13 when:

1. The QB's in this draft are second-round talents at best
2. The Cards want to win now before their window closes
3. The Cards lost a significant amount on D in Free Agency
4. The Defensive talent in this draft was historically deep
5. The QB depth in next year's draft will be historically deep

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Cbus---while this may not ease your frustration---I liken Reddick's swift ascension up the draft boards to Luke Keuckly's. When the draft process started Keuchly was thought of as a Day 3 pick. I remember the debates on this board---many thought he was too small, that his numbers were inflated, that he couldn't cover in the NFL.

Yet---Reddick did exactly what Keuckly did---he did everything that was asked of him and more. When the scouts saw the work ethic, the passion and the sheer athleticism it left little doubt about the quality of the player.

I get your frustration---I had FS Malik Hooker rated in my top 3 of the entire draft. But, we are not privy to the medical reports or how the interviews went. I would think that for any defensive player a torn labrum and hernia surgeries are a concern.

However, as tempting as it may have been to take Hooker or Jonathan Allen (which would have meant drafting DT in the 1st round 2 years in a row), Steve Keim has mentioned on a couple of occasions how impressed he is with the depth at safety in this draft. There's a very good chance that the Cardinals will take a FS at #45 (Budda Baker, Marcus Maye, Josh Jones, Marcus Williams).

What Reddick brings is something no other pass rusher on the roster has: speed and quick bend and re-direction. He's the fastest edge rusher in the draft. Pair him with one of the top FSs and it could very well be the best 1-2 combo scenario.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

This is exactly the point with Reddick. Reddick was asked to set and hold up the edge at Temple...which he surprisingly did very diligently and efficiently, despite his lack of ideal edge size. Reddiick is very disciplined. You know how the Cardinals' coaches were complaining that some guys on defense were doing their own things...well, Reddick stays within the discipline of the system. he will do exactly what the coaches ask him to do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard