The Stars Aligned Over Philly for Cardinals and Reddick

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus---while this may not ease your frustration---I liken Reddick's swift ascension up the draft boards to Luke Keuckly's. When the draft process started Keuchly was thought of as a Day 3 pick. I remember the debates on this board---many thought he was too small, that his numbers were inflated, that he couldn't cover in the NFL.

Yet---Reddick did exactly what Keuckly did---he did everything that was asked of him and more. When the scouts saw the work ethic, the passion and the sheer athleticism it left little doubt about the quality of the player.

I get your frustration---I had FS Malik Hooker rated in my top 3 of the entire draft. But, we are not privy to the medical reports or how the interviews went. I would think that for any defensive player a torn labrum and hernia surgeries are a concern.

However, as tempting as it may have been to take Hooker or Jonathan Allen (which would have meant drafting DT in the 1st round 2 years in a row), Steve Keim has mentioned on a couple of occasions how impressed he is with the depth at safety in this draft. There's a very good chance that the Cardinals will take a FS at #45 (Budda Baker, Marcus Maye, Josh Jones, Marcus Williams).

What Reddick brings is something no other pass rusher on the roster has: speed and quick bend. He's the fastest edge rusher in the draft. Pair him with one of the top FSs and it could very well be the best 1-2 combo scenario.

Very good post Mitch. I agree

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Jeeesus H. Christ. Shaddup about it already.

We get it, you're not happy. Now go sulk away.

I just hope you're not praying for the kid to fail just so you can play the "I told you so" game. Primarily because his failure will also be our favorite teams' failure as well. Also because that's just wrong.

CBus does not deserve this. He's one of the most knowledgable and most passionate members of the board. He's a great fan. We all agree to disagree when we do. What's great about this board is we all aren't afraid to admit when we are wrong -- because we all want the Cardinals to win. Help the debates along! They are what makes the board so good.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
CBus does not deserve this. He's one of the most knowledgable and most passionate members of the board. He's a great fan. We all agree to disagree when we do. What's great about this board is we all aren't afraid to admit when we are wrong -- because we all want the Cardinals to win. Help the debates along! They are what makes the board so good.

+1

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
He is allowed to have an opinion. It's OK for you to disagree. It's called a debate.

I'm not even specifically disagreeing with him, as I can see his points, even though I'm being hopeful.

Thing is, there's several threads about how/what/where/when/why the Cardinals drafted the way they did where what he's saying is specifically in discussion and relevant. This thread is about THE pick, and not WHY the picker picked the way they picked. (Say that five times fast.)

Which is why I commented about it in here.

In the other threads, where his bellyaching belongs, I have no comment, as I have no problem with it.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fantastic OP Mitch!!!!!!!!

Although I was beating the Hooker drum on the draft day thread I get why BASK passed on him and think Reddick is the right pick.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
You were dead on. Kudos. Especially with Davis. Top 5.

I'm not on the ledge and and don't even dislike the player. I dislike the pick with more talented players on the board.
Was just jabbing you! You got any private draft info in what IMO is the heart of your draft day?

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

And I'll repeat: I don't have a problem with the debate itself.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I wish one of them never happened. I really think it's significant that keim had him rated 5th. And in a bad way.

Maybe he meant 5th best defensive player.

From unrated to top 5. Don't like it at all.

He's athletic but obviously I don't see Temple play so I have no idea how good he will or won't be. Some guys seemed to love him during the draft. there was a report on ESPN2 this morning talking about how teams traded up to get QB's and one guy said the funny thing is people keep saying they were trading in front of the Cardinals to get a QB and the Cards weren't actually targeting a QB. We will never know if that's true or not of course.

He apparently did 24 reps(Mitch said 22 they said 24 last night) but nobody noticed because he was with the linemen not LB's. he's fast, probably going to take awhile to figure out the nuances of playing LB, at least a year probably more.

I loved Foster I think he can be a star but too much risk came out, too much baggage, I think he went where he went for a reason lots of NFL teams were just as concerned as we were.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Fantastic OP Mitch!!!!!!!!

Although I was beating the Hooker drum on the draft day thread I get why BASK passed on him and think Reddick is the right pick.

I think that tonight we will see why they went with Reddick first, because they definitely have a FS they have rated very highly on their board.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He has been warned.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I am starting to come around a little more to him. I love his attitude and work ethic, have a feeling he will work very hard for us. I think Keim and BA are sick of having TE's burn us and he will cover them well. Also while Deone Buchannon can get pushed around in the run game, I don't think Reddick will.

Still would have liked to pick him around 20-25, but he is really hard to dislike at this point.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Cbus---while this may not ease your frustration---I liken Reddick's swift ascension up the draft boards to Luke Keuckly's. When the draft process started Keuchly was thought of as a Day 3 pick. I remember the debates on this board---many thought he was too small, that his numbers were inflated, that he couldn't cover in the NFL.

Yet---Reddick did exactly what Keuckly did---he did everything that was asked of him and more. When the scouts saw the work ethic, the passion and the sheer athleticism it left little doubt about the quality of the player.

I get your frustration---I had FS Malik Hooker rated in my top 3 of the entire draft. But, we are not privy to the medical reports or how the interviews went. I would think that for any defensive player a torn labrum and hernia surgeries are a concern.

However, as tempting as it may have been to take Hooker or Jonathan Allen (which would have meant drafting DT in the 1st round 2 years in a row), Steve Keim has mentioned on a couple of occasions how impressed he is with the depth at safety in this draft. There's a very good chance that the Cardinals will take a FS at #45 (Budda Baker, Marcus Maye, Josh Jones, Marcus Williams).

What Reddick brings is something no other pass rusher on the roster has: speed and quick bend and re-direction. He's the fastest edge rusher in the draft. Pair him with one of the top FSs and it could very well be the best 1-2 combo scenario.
Well said Mr LB evaluator! You really do well with those guys IMO. The old saying is you can never have enough pass rushers!!! The double A-gap blitz is back in the desert & it's gonna be effective once again :thumbup:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
He's athletic but obviously I don't see Temple play so I have no idea how good he will or won't be. Some guys seemed to love him during the draft. there was a report on ESPN2 this morning talking about how teams traded up to get QB's and one guy said the funny thing is people keep saying they were trading in front of the Cardinals to get a QB and the Cards weren't actually targeting a QB. We will never know if that's true or not of course.

He apparently did 24 reps(Mitch said 22 they said 24 last night) but nobody noticed because he was with the linemen not LB's. he's fast, probably going to take awhile to figure out the nuances of playing LB, at least a year probably more.

I loved Foster I think he can be a star but too much risk came out, too much baggage, I think he went where he went for a reason lots of NFL teams were just as concerned as we were.

24 reps is correct, Russ. thank you. I will change it.

Yeah, would love to know if the QB fascination was a smokescreen.

I'll tell you what...as long as the Patriots keep holding on to Jimmy Garoppolo---there's no need to reach for a QB in this draft. I think he would be UFA priority #1 in 2018.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that tonight we will see why they went with Reddick first, because they definitely have a FS they have rated very highly on their board.

I think it has to be a DB. There are so many very good safeties and CBs left on the board that would be considered BPA and fills a need.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I am starting to come around a little more to him. I love his attitude and work ethic, have a feeling he will work very hard for us. I think Keim and BA are sick of having TE's burn us and he will cover them well. Also while Deone Buchannon can get pushed around in the run game, I don't think Reddick will.

Still would have liked to pick him around 20-25, but he is really hard to dislike at this point.

Jay, when the other defensive players like Allen, Foster, Peppers, Conley, etc. started to fall, that no longer meant Reddick would be available in the 20s. And for weeks Reddick has been rising into pretty much everyone's top 16.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Well said Mr LB evaluator! You really do well with those guys IMO. The old saying is you can never have enough pass rushers!!! The double A-gap blitz is back in the desert & it's gonna be effective once again :thumbup:

Kudos to your diligent work on Reddick, Bucky. We have needed a speed guy for such a long time. And depth. A better pass rush means more takeaways --- which were lacking at key times in 2016.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not that it matters but anybody know why he changed numbers? Some of the highlights he's #7, some he's 58.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
not that it matters but anybody know why he changed numbers? Some of the highlights he's #7, some he's 58.

At Temple, the top 9 toughest players each year get single digit numbers. That's part of their "Temple Tough" tradition.

Buckybird

Reaction score
#43.

4+3=7 is what was said by Urban. Weird huh? Hey the last good player I remember wearing that for Big Red was Norm Thompson in the 70s

Buckybird

Reaction score
24 reps is correct, Russ. thank you. I will change it.

Yeah, would love to know if the QB fascination was a smokescreen.

I'll tell you what...as long as the Patriots keep holding on to Jimmy Garoppolo---there's no need to reach for a QB in this draft. I think he would be UFA priority #1 in 2018.
I'm in for him at extreme costs

Buckybird

Reaction score
Who you think? As much as I like Baker I think Marcus Williams is a better pure FS.