The Rebirth of Matt Leinart's Career

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Been hearing ALOT about Matt the past few weeks. There was an article in Houstons paper, multiple tweets from national guys at Houston camp raving about how it's rare he misses a pass, and now this write up. Significant enough that it was one of three things mentioned in this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...ns.postcard/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a1

3. Matt Leinart may turn out to be a great player yet. The fifth-year vet had considered reuniting with former USC coach Pete Carroll in Seattle, where he'd have a good chance of becoming a starter again. But in the end he decided to re-sign with Houston as a backup because the offense here fits him so well. That much was obvious in his practices with the
second string, which have been starter-level crisp -- a veritable clinic in sound mechanics, sure decision-making and accurate passing. The display is a testament to the work Leinart
put in back in his native California and to a system that plays to his strengths as mover in the pocket. At Arizona, Leinart said, "we were more spread out -- four wides, three wides, get the ball out quick. Here, there's more play-action under center. It's a lot more stuff that fits my style." Leinart isn't threatening Matt Schaub's job, but he gives the Texans one heck
of an insurance policy.

I have been a big proponent of just cutting bait and moving on and leaving this topic to die
And I'm pretty sure THESMEL is going to make me regret posting this, but I thought this was interesting - especially the part about the offensive fit. Makes sense.

I think Seattle will regret not getting him. That play action under center offense is a good fit for him and I'm hoping he does well.

Just as long as Kevin Kolb kicks his butt up and down the field every time they match up.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Leinart will never be a great qb because he does not have the work ethic to be great.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I'll always remember that snow game in Foxboro where he didn't want to come in after it was already a blow out. Did not endear him to his coaches.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
seems very unlikely to me that Matty does anything but hang on as a back up. If Shaub goes down I'll start to take some interest but for now, at best, he's made a case for a spot as a number two in preseason. BFD. To say that's any kind of strong evidence "he'll become a great player yet" or even that he gives Houston "a heck of an insurance policey" is flatly absurd.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man I will admit that I wanted this guy to be the man for so long. I was shocked that it didn't work out. I just don't see it.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I still believe Leinart can play. If he ever gets his mind, mojo & cockiness back he showed at SC & as a rook he will play well. IMO the 2 shoulder injuries & Wiz's disbelief in him keep him from being the player many thought he would be.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still believe Leinart can play. If he ever gets his mind, mojo & cockiness back he showed at SC & as a rook he will play well. IMO the 2 shoulder injuries & Wiz's disbelief in him keep him from being the player many thought he would be.

This explanation makes Leinart look guiltless. Somewhere in there should be at least a hint of personal accountability. BTW, I still believe he can play too in the right situation - maybe he's found it in Houston. Also, there's nothing wrong with being the best backup QB in the game if that's where he peaks.

Steve

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
IMO, it was his work weak-ass work ethic. Success is not an accident.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
He aint no Jim Plunkett.

The dude out beat out by Derek Anderson, Max Hall, and John Skelton...no amount of bad blood with coaches and players, at the NFL level, makes up for this.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no Arizona's Finest has fallen for the banana in the tailpipe!

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LOL at that article saying Matt may end up being "a great player" and then in the same paragraph saying he'll be nothing more than a backup.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I regret what happened, I feel sorrow and sadness for the Cardinals and us fans, I watched every snap for the Cardinals, His confidence was destroyed in MNM. I called for the rally afterwards. and he fought back. I know what I seen and I trust me after 40+ years of fan hood.

I've said enough, last preseason, check downs were appropriate, He was blitzed every single down, as the run game failed. He was honest, and I never seen a bad work ethic as others are now saying, ever. Its a bunch of hype.

He'll take that job from Schaub at some point, He is a better pure passer, I remember the sweet long balls to BJ, Q and Fitz. 50 yards in the air on the money with touch.

But now I'm moving on and hope this staff changes its ways and puts our current players in position to star, do well and grow.

Yes I grade him better than Kolb, shame on me, If we don't run and set up a lil play action like we did in the playoff games we actually won! Kolb will suffer the same fate.

Matt Leinart was not the problem with My Cardinals last year, I wouldn't respect him idf he didn't take the lead and say something,

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The only thing great about Matt is his PR person.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I regret what happened, I feel sorrow and sadness for the Cardinals and us fans, I watched every snap for the Cardinals, His confidence was destroyed in MNM. I called for the rally afterwards. and he fought back. I know what I seen and I trust me after 40+ years of fan hood.

I've said enough, last preseason, check downs were appropriate, He was blitzed every single down, as the run game failed. He was honest, and I never seen a bad work ethic as others are now saying, ever. Its a bunch of hype.

He'll take that job from Schaub at some point, He is a better pure passer, I remember the sweet long balls to BJ, Q and Fitz. 50 yards in the air on the money with touch.

But now I'm moving on and hope this staff changes its ways and puts our current players in position to star, do well and grow.

Yes I grade him better than Kolb, shame on me, If we don't run and set up a lil play action like we did in the playoff games we actually won! Kolb will suffer the same fate.

Matt Leinart was not the problem with My Cardinals last year, I wouldn't respect him idf he didn't take the lead and say something,

Disturbing..

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
99% of this Board was ecstatic when the Cards drafted Leinart and we all wanted him to succeed. Blame Whisenhunt, blame injuries, blame work ethic. The bottom line for me was that he wasn't a leader, didn't take charge of the team and for whatever reason didn't want to throw a pass longer than 5 yards.
I was very disappointed in him but agreed with the Cardinals on cutting him. Let's be candid not many teams wanted him only Houston gave him a contract to be the 3rd string qb.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99% of this Board was ecstatic when the Cards drafted Leinart and we all wanted him to succeed. Blame Whisenhunt, blame injuries, blame work ethic. The bottom line for me was that he wasn't a leader, didn't take charge of the team and for whatever reason didn't want to throw a pass longer than 5 yards.
I was very disappointed in him but agreed with the Cardinals on cutting him. Let's be candid not many teams wanted him only Houston gave him a contract to be the 3rd string qb.

Thats what did it for me too.. In fact he regressed and lashed out against the team.. Only Carroll showed interest in him this offseason besides the Texans and he chose the back up role.. Ya ok..

I really dont care what he does anymore.. I got my whole team to follow.. :newcards:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
To me there was not any doubt Matty could play. It had everything to do with Whiz not wanting Leinart to be his QB. We would have had a winning record if Leinart was the QB last year, instead we were stuck with Whiz's QB of the future DA. I wish the best for Leinart and I think whenever he does start he will do a good job for and be a winner for whatever team he plays for.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
I think Houston is just trying to build up the hype monster so they can trade Leinart. Probably to the Dolphins.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'll always remember that snow game in Foxboro where he didn't want to come in after it was already a blow out. Did not endear him to his coaches.

I didn't hear about this. Where was it reported?

(not surprised though)

TJ

Reaction score
LOL at that article saying Matt may end up being "a great player" and then in the same paragraph saying he'll be nothing more than a backup.

Yea that was kind of hilarious

Matt is locked up for the next two years in Houston as Matt Schaub's back up. And despite THESMEL's drunken remark about Leinart being greater than Schaub, he wont be supplanted. We are talking about the same guy who won the passing title in 2009, beating out Peyton and Brady.

Leinart has a long, uphill road to climb if he is ever going to be relevant in this league. His poor work ethic and perceived lack of mental toughness are going to be the end of him unless he finally has seen the light.

Leinart has all of the physical tools to succeed in this league, but it's doubtful that he's more than a journeyman emergency QB from this point forward in his career.

Reaction score
To me there was not any doubt Matty could play. It had everything to do with Whiz not wanting Leinart to be his QB. We would have had a winning record if Leinart was the QB last year, instead we were stuck with Whiz's QB of the future DA. I wish the best for Leinart and I think whenever he does start he will do a good job for and be a winner for whatever team he plays for.

I totally agree with this. Matty proved he can play his rookie year. He just didn't fit Whiz's system.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yea that was kind of hilarious

Matt is locked up for the next two years in Houston as Matt Schaub's back up. And despite THESMEL's drunken remark about Leinart being greater than Schaub, he wont be supplanted. We are talking about the same guy who won the passing title in 2009, beating out Peyton and Brady.

Leinart has a long, uphill road to climb if he is ever going to be relevant in this league. His poor work ethic and perceived lack of mental toughness are going to be the end of him unless he finally has seen the light.

Leinart has all of the physical tools to succeed in this league, but it's doubtful that he's more than a journeyman emergency QB from this point forward in his career.

Right now I still don't think Leinart has any desire to be more than a career #2 and pick up a couple million every year for the next 5-7 years. Rent his cars at Avis and collect Sage Rosenfels Football Cards.

TJ

Reaction score
Right now I still don't think Leinart has any desire to be more than a career #2 and pick up a couple million every year for the next 5-7 years. Rent his cars at Avis and collect Sage Rosenfels Football Cards.

That's hilarious. That is the name that kept popping in my mind as I was typing that post.

Great minds do think alike

:cheers:

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Agree!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard