The QB Market: Yes or No?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
When two teams in-front of Cardinals draft order decide to go veteran route with Cousins and Alex Smith, what does that tell about this draft class QBs?

For the Redskins, I see it as mismanagement - but mainly two guys that know they're on the hot seat. I'm also willing to bet the relationship with Kirk soured to the point of no return. If I was Cousins, I'd be pissed about the public lack of trust, the team putting in no effort to retain my talented wideouts, and never putting the pieces around me.

If the Broncos tab Cousins, I see it as a very valid urgency in winning now. Vance Joseph is going to get fired if he doesn't win, and the team can only maintain their success with players like Demariyus Thomas and Von Miller for a limited time.

It also would tell me that they don't think the top QBs are going to be available to them... which is how I feel about the Cards' chances.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Peeps save your dollars for Lamar Jackson jeresey's

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is totally not true, that would be tampering? You can't negotiate with a player under contract. The can't start to negotiate with free agents until March 12th.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m hoping for Baker. I don’t want Lamar Jackson at all. He is the worst QB prospect out of the top ten quarterbacks. I can see him as a RB but not a QB.
Worst out of the top 10 eh? Lol, alright then.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals should be looking at moving to the #7, #8 or #9 spot in the draft. It won't be as expensive as moving up into the top 3 spots and there should be one of the top 4 QBs available still.

Send our 1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd next year to move up to the #8 spot if Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen or Allen are there.

You are really underestimating the cost of moving up. I recall, but forget the teams involved, a one up move costing 3 picks in the first round.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You are really underestimating the cost of moving up. I recall, but forget the teams involved, a one up move costing 3 picks in the first round.
based on point charts...our 15 and 47 are within about 10 points of the #8 pick... but of course we would have to sweeten the deal a little bit... so much of it depends on the trade partner and if they really want to trade at all... you can get anything if you offer enough but many of the trades follow the point charts pretty close.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is totally not true, that would be tampering? You can't negotiate with a player under contract. The can't start to negotiate with free agents until March 12th.

The restrictions vs. tampering are not followed. Teams ignore the so-called rules and go after the players they want. Here's an article before last year's FA period:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/nfl-sends-out-annual-legal-tampering-memo/

The player's original team doesn't mind because the 'illegal' negotiations is a way to find out how much interest/how much money a player is generating. The original team can then decide on whether or not to match/top the offer and keep the player.

About the only thing that teams abide by is waiting for the official contract signing on the league date. Last year, CC had a massive offer from the Jags---Cards knew well ahead of time that they were not going to be able to match that and so moved on. It was no surprise to the Cards FO that CC was a former Card.

Watch how many big money contracts get announced the day FA opens------those deals were hammered out long before FA opened.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Honestly, I think it might be you that overestimate the cost. I have gone back and look at the last five drafts and have found some somewhat comparable trades. I didn’t go further back as I thought that would be kind of irrelevant since the prize and what teams expect to get in these trades have simply changed. Also, I don’t know how these trades match up with the trade value chart since I am fairly certain that I have heard multiple teams tell how they don’t really use that anymore. That said, I doubt that the mentioned trades are all in accordance with the chart.

In 2014 and 2015 there were no comparable trades. In 2013, 2016 and 2017 there were two in each year.

The Dolphins traded up from #12 to #3 with the Raiders. The Dolphins only paid a second round pick.

The Rams traded up from #16 to #8 with the Bills. The Rams paid their second-, third and seventh round pick. They got the Bills’ third round pick in exchange.

2016 – That year the #8 selection were traded three times. Only two of them are interesting here as the last time were the Eagles moving from #8 to #2.

The Eagles traded up from #13 to #8 with the Dolphins. The Eagles paid two above average players that didn’t factor into the teams’ plans for the future.

The Titans traded up from #15 to #8 with the Browns. The Titans paid a third round selection as well as a second round selection the next year. They got a sixth round pick in return from the Browns.

2017 - I have included these two trades though they are not into the top 10 which usually raises the cost. They are included because both of them have both teams moving very far which should increase the cost, and both trades are just outside the top 10.

The Chiefs traded up from #27 to #10 with the Bills. The Chiefs paid a third round pick as well as their first round pick the next year.

The Texans traded up from #25 to #12 with the Browns. The Texans paid their first round pick the next year.

Obviously, none of these trades are exactly comparable as things like what do the selling team want, what are the trends in the league, how much do the buying team want to trade up and several other stuff factors in as well. I think, however, it is a more fair guideline than the trade value chart.