Missed QB Opportunity

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is why starting Dobbs was a mistake. It’s not rocket science; it’s football. For Dobbs to workout one has to assume 4 NFL teams were wrong. They concluded not only wasn’t he a starting QB, he wasn’t an NFL backup QB. It’s not like there isn’t tons of film on him; there is. It’s not like he never got a chance to start; he did. His failures are well documented.

It is a tribute to the coaching staff that they got a couple of good games out of him, but what was the possible optimum outcome of starting him? He wins a game here and there. So what!

Then there’s Tune. Is he a potential NFL starter or backup? I have no idea and neither does anyone else. Would he have connected with Brown for 2 TDs in the Rams game? No one knows. Sure that’s a long shot, but if he’s not on the field, it’s a no shot.

The entire Dobbs experiment was a waste. What did the Cards find out that everyone didn’t already know? Sure Tune could have been a failure too. Then the Cards would have wasted a 5th round pick, but they’d know. If Tune played well how much would that have advanced the rebuild? Now if Murray comes back and plays well, who’s the backup? Do you carry 3 QBs? Do you backup Murray with a QB who’s never been in an NFL game. Do you cut a guy who looked at least promising in exhibition play? I assure you you’ll never sneak him to the practice squad. If Tune had been a total disaster after 3-4 games they could have switched to Dobbs.

I like this coaching staff, but this is potentially a big mistake. I just don’t see the downside to having started Tune over Dobbs. I don’t accept that if he got beat up he’d have been ruined. Look at Tony Romo’s career. I’m not saying Tune is the next Romo. I am saying the Cards had the perfect opportunity to find out how good Tune is. When will that opportunity come again?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
@Harry Please write up a rookie performance report at the half season mark. Thank You!

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
LOL Tune will be a better QB if he sits on the bench for a year and has a full offseason and training camp than he is right now.

It’s not even debatable.

If Tune has potential to make plays, the coaches likely know already. They knew with Dak Prescott and DangeRuss.
This whole keeping Tune on the shelf thing doesn't fly - he played a bazillion games in college and can handle the mental pressure - not to mention we've never seen him play as bad as Dobbs has played - I'm honestly just glad you didn't mention wolves - as for the decision to make a switch - it obviously comes down to who gives you a better chance of winning - and tbh I think Tune completes both of those TD passes to Hollywood - or at least one of them lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This whole keeping Tune on the shelf thing doesn't fly - he played a bazillion games in college and can handle the mental pressure - not to mention we've never seen him play as bad as Dobbs has played - I'm honestly just glad you didn't mention wolves - as for the decision to make a switch - it obviously comes down to who gives you a better chance of winning - and tbh I think Tune completes both of those TD passes to Hollywood - or at least one of them lol
We don’t really have enough information to know. Want to know who has a ton more information?

The coaches. They’ve seen hundreds of more reps of what Tune can do.

I’m not worried about breaking Tune; I don’t think it matters much at all. I just don’t want to see even worse QB play.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don’t really have enough information to know. Want to know who has a ton more information?

These coaches waited until two weeks before the season to realize Colt McCoy’s corpse didn’t even belong in the CFL anymore. They ain’t infallible at the QB situation.

Can it get worse with Tune? Of course. He’s a fifth round rookie and we’re the Arizona Cardinals. But nothing is gained continuing to trot out Dobbs if he’s going to play like he has the last two games where he was an abomination.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

I’m not worried about breaking Tune; I don’t think it matters much at all. I just don’t want to see even worse QB play.
Sounds like this isn't a debate at all muchacho - it appears you're in the trust the coaches camp - which is kinda rare for you but it's all good

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
These coaches waited until two weeks before the season to realize Colt McCoy’s corpse didn’t even belong in the CFL anymore. They ain’t infallible at the QB situation.

Can it get worse with Tune? Of course. He’s a fifth round rookie and we’re the Arizona Cardinals. But nothing is gained continuing to trot out Dobbs if he’s going to play like he has the last two games where he was an abomination.
I think ownership was involved there. McCoy had guaranteed salary and I think Michael really liked him. He had to be very, very bad to convince Michael to double down and pay someone not to be an Arizona Cardinal in 2023.

Tune was obviously such a catastrophe in training camp that the coaching staff decided to run Dobbs out there on like his 10th day with the team in a game that mattered.

Maybe if you have Conner you switch to Tune, but I think that’s one too many jenga blocks.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is almost like what came first, the chicken or the egg.

Look Dobbs is just less than adequate. He makes plays that have extended drives, only to overthrow his receiver. He makes 3 good decisions only to not see the open receiver.

To say Tune would have hit Brown on those two throws is a big maybe but maybe Tune would not have gotten us into that position.

If we would have beat the Giants, which we should have, and had a defense that could keep the opposing team from scoring at will we might be 3-3 and nobody is talking about Tune.

It’s to the point now we just want to see something different. Maybe by not playing Tune we will be able to sneak him to the practice squad when Murray returns. If not is there a rule we can’t carry 3 qb’s on the roster?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Even when he's playing very poorly Dobbs still looks infinitely more competent than Tune has. We aren't seeing Tune this season unless Dobbs get hurt.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think ownership was involved there. McCoy had guaranteed salary and I think Michael really liked him. He had to be very, very bad to convince Michael to double down and pay someone not to be an Arizona Cardinal in 2023.

Tune was obviously such a catastrophe in training camp that the coaching staff decided to run Dobbs out there on like his 10th day with the team in a game that mattered.

Maybe if you have Conner you switch to Tune, but I think that’s one too many jenga blocks.
That’s not a bad point about Conner.

I just don’t know how you keep telling players they need to produce to keep their jobs if the QB keeps playing truly atrocious football.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Tune will be a better QB if he sits on the bench for a year and has a full offseason and training camp than he is right now.

It’s not even debatable.

If Tune has potential to make plays, the coaches likely know already. They knew with Dak Prescott and DangeRuss.

The core take here is that QBs get better in year 2.

While that is not an absolute it is sound. I have charted out year to year QB progression in regards to the single most important indicator of future QB success and that is pass accuracy. To be a top 15 QB in the NFL you have to be above 65% and Hall of Famers reach 70%

Dobbs can't a hit a 10 yard out route with any consistency.

We have to know if Tune is in the ball park of 60% completion

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That’s not a bad point about Conner.

I just don’t know how you keep telling players they need to produce to keep their jobs if the QB keeps playing truly atrocious football.

The players also see who Tune is in practice during the week and in camp. There’s a reason they all fell in behind Dobbs.

We have to know if Tune is in the ball park of 60% completion
Why do we have to know that? If anything, we’ve learned how easy it is to find a QB who can perform at a below-average level but not be a Ryan Lindley-level catastrophe.

Dobbs has done it twice. The Cleveland QB just arrived a couple weeks ago. Shoot, we did it with David Blough last year.

I’m just in no hurry to discover whether Clayton Tune is a similar or much worse flavor of poo than Josh Dobbs.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the "Tune can't be any worse than Dobbs" people did you see what happened when the Brown's rolled out DTR against the Ravens?

And then a week later they beat the 49ers with PJ Walker at QB.

I don't think there is any clearer example of why Dobbs is playing over Tune or why "It couldn't be any worse" is just wrong.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the "Tune can't be any worse than Dobbs" people did you see what happened when the Brown's rolled out DTR against the Ravens?

And then a week later they beat the 49ers with PJ Walker at QB.

I don't think there is any clearer example of why Dobbs is playing over Tune or why "It couldn't be any worse" is just wrong.
The Browns has a far better team, their defense Is impressive, and thats the resson they won despite playing the third string qb with his two interceptions

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Browns has a far better team, their defense Is impressive, and thats the resson they won despite playing the third string qb with his two interceptions

But the exact same team with DTR got owned the week before...

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But the exact same team with DTR got owned the week before...
Do u think the Brown win Yesterday has something tò do with the third qb or with the different approach effort and intensity from the whole team, especially from their defense?

Reactions: PJ1

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It’s not even debatable.

This right here… have quarterbacks slipped in the draft or gone unnoticed to become ? Sure, Tom Brady, Matt Schaus and now we could look in say Brock Purdy. Stark difference between the 3 talent wise, but they all had top end picks starting in front of them initially (Bledsoe, David Carr, Trey Lance). All of those franchises saw enough in them to not bring in a Josh Dobbs to start over them.

Small chance Tune is even low level back-up quality currently. Point being, teams know for the most part what they have in a late round QB after training camp, preseason and practices.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think I must have done a bad job with this piece I hurriedly threw up after the game. My point was never I was confident Tune would play better than Dobbs. I think the personnel moves Ossenfort made during the last off-season indicated this year was not about winning as many games as possible. It was more about getting a functional coaching staff in place and assessing what core of players could be built upon. I intended to reflect Dobbs was a known quantity. He likely would win a game here or there. Starting him just confirmed what he had to offer. Tune may very well have played worse. That said, would he have shown flashes he could play in the NFL? Did he improve from game to game? Could he keep his composure under pressure? Could he throw the tree when it counted? Did he motivate the players around him? Did he take instructions and stay focused mid-game? Was he a potential NFL QB at some level? You cannot make those determinations in practice, unless he’s terrible (he would have been cut). I just think starting Dobbs didn’t make any contribution to the rebuild. I also believe, with Murray anticipated to return soon, an opportunity to find out what Tune offered was missed.