The QB Market: Yes or No?

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
I would take all the QB's you listed at 15 with Rudolph being the possible exception. I would also include Rosen. Highly unlikely we will have to make this decision, but Aaron Rodgers doesn't even get along with his own family. Rivers and Roethlisberger aren't loved by all. This is where I think Wilks will be an asset with character judgment moving forward. Jackson is the QB that intrigues me. The biggest knock on him is his leadership skills. I've watched interviews and he seems very soft spoken and reserved. From everything I heard he is a great kid who works hard, but the QB has to command the huddle and I'm not sure yet if he has that personality.

As far as second day. I really like Luke Falk and Lualeta. I would love to get them in the 3rd, but if the FO likes one of them they would be very foolish to wait. Lauleta has the quick release and accuracy that reminds me of Romo.

I would add in Teddy for FA to look at. I like Keenum too. But this all depends on what their price tag is. I've been hearing that Keenum will demand somewhere around 18M per year and that is way too rich for me.
What’s not to like about Rudolph?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I just hope it aint Buffalo that gets cousins... because they are behind us in the draft.... rooting for cleveland...with the jets as a backup plan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it's going to be the Jets. He'll use the Browns for leverage to get what he wants from New York. I can't see John Elway giving Kurt cousins $26 million a year.
Unless NY guarantees him they won’t take Darnold or Rosen I don’t think he ends up there. DEN is desperate, their defense can still win them games and keep them a playoff contender an upgrade to their garbage QB trio could put them back in the SB when Brady or BB call it a career.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
Unless NY guarantees him they won’t take Darnold or Rosen I don’t think he ends up there. DEN is desperate, their defense can still win them games and keep them a playoff contender an upgrade to their garbage QB trio could put them back in the SB when Brady or BB call it a career.

Why would anybody sign a quarterback to a $125 million contract and follow that up by using the sixth overall selection to draft his successor.
Come on

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would doubt that the perception around the league is that the Cardinals are better than the Broncos. It doesn't help that our WR unit is thin. Fitz hasn't declared whether he will be returning. The OL woes the past couple of years are a concern. Plus, I am not sure that at this point Mike McCoy is a legitimate calling card for a QB like Cousins. Not sure either that Steve Keim is going to win a bidding war.

Jacksonville has the cap room to make their move on Cousins---and they are in vogue right now. Tom Coughlin is a major calling card. And they look like a good QB away from winning a Super Bowl.

If they do sign Cousins and let Blake Bortles go, would or should the Cardinals have interest in him?

Bortles really grew on me during the playoffs. He flat-out gave it his all and there were stretches, like his first half versus the Patriots where he was right on the money, plus making plays with his feet. I think he is better than most people think.

Jacksonville exercised the option for Bortles at $19.1 million next season, guaranteed for injury and he just had surgery on his wrist. I don't think they would tie up that much cap space to sign Cousins as well.

Bortles is much like Gabbert, tantalizing but in the end he will break your heart.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Jacksonville exercised the option for Bortles at $19.1 million next season, guaranteed for injury and he just had surgery on his wrist. I don't think they would tie up that much cap space to sign Cousins as well.

Bortles is much like Gabbert, tantalizing but in the end he will break your heart.
smart move by Bortles actually... he chose to have that surgery now,...so now there is no way he passes that physical in March...which means his money is guaranteed... he had to know the "cousins to Jacksonville" conversation would come up.
he has steady gotten better though... if that trend continues the Jags could be serious contenders for a while.

Reactions: TRW
Reaction score
Thanks Mitch....good stuff.

If Mayfield or Jackson are there in Round1 we should go for one of them.

I’d still like to see a vet between McCown and McCarron and Daniel.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cousins is the best option for the Cardinals to win games, period. Makes us an instant contender. Him and DJ with Fitz and a draft pic at WR makes us a contender to not only the West, but for years to come.

The rest are simply bridge qb's. We might can trade up to the Redskins pick to get Mayfield or the qb that fell. But bottom line, to compete this year, we HAVE to sign Cousins, or do another flash-in-the-bottle pick with McCarron AND a draft pick for qb.

Sam Bradford cannot guarantee you 16 games

Tyrod Taylor is ok. But wont get you over the top

McCarron is unknown. He could be a qbotf but thats rolling the dice.

Teddy is an unknown commodity after his injury

The rest are just not worth mentioning IMO

Cousins or bust for me.

- half the teams in the league had to use a backup at some point this past season.
- Tyrod's nice stats hide the fact that he simply will not throw in tight windows.
- Teddy was a largely unknown commodity before the injury. He's young and could worth the investment given what could be available at #15 or beyond.
- If he checks the boxes for SKMB, I've no issue with a $25m per year commitment to Cousins over 4, 5 years.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
my biggest knocks on Rosen... only mild popularity with his team mates...

and I read a couple articles in which it was stated he likes football because the offseason allows him lots of time for his "activism"...gives me images of Kaepernic 2.0....and I really dont wannt to see that kinda stuff around the redbirds...its distracting and divisive and the clubhouse/locker room needs to be a place of unity.

also,...are maybe the activism and the mild popularity among team mates related?

Those are my concerns...as far as his play on the field the kid is straight

It's hard to tell from the outside what is real and what is fake. If a lot of these rumors are true, then I don't want him leading this franchise. I just haven't made up my mind that these rumors are real yet. Unfortunately negative reports get clicks, so this could also be the case.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What’s not to like about Rudolph?

I actually like Rudolph. I was disappointed he didn't come out last year. My eyes tell me he can play, but these reports of his arm strength have gotten me second guessing myself. So ashamed!!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals should be looking at moving to the #7, #8 or #9 spot in the draft. It won't be as expensive as moving up into the top 3 spots and there should be one of the top 4 QBs available still.

Send our 1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd next year to move up to the #8 spot if Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen or Allen are there.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals should be looking at moving to the #7, #8 or #9 spot in the draft. It won't be as expensive as moving up into the top 3 spots and there should be one of the top 4 QBs available still.

Send our 1st and 3rd this year and a 2nd next year to move up to the #8 spot if Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen or Allen are there.
If Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold are there at #7 and Keim doesn't make a trade...he should practically be fired on the spot. Allen is too raw to trade up for IMO...unless you're just trading up a spot or two to jump in front of a potential suitor.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Just as the Cardinals picked up Deone Bucannon's $8.7M option, the Jaguars have until the 1st day of the new season in March to change their mind. The option becomes guaranteed if Bucannon or Bortles is still on the roster on March 14th. Thus, the Jags would have to come to an agreement with Cousins during the discussion period prior to the start of the new year, and if they do, then they can tell Bortles they are no longer picking up his option.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great write up

You hit the nail on the head LAMAR JACKSON - DUAL THREAT LIGHTNING ROD

HE'S MY #1 PICK - has the speed of Michael Vick in his prime and a great arm! They'd be dumb not to pick him up....especially with the O line we have.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just as the Cardinals picked up Deone Bucannon's $8.7M option, the Jaguars have until the 1st day of the new season in March to change their mind. The option becomes guaranteed if Bucannon or Bortles is still on the roster on March 14th. Thus, the Jags would have to come to an agreement with Cousins during the discussion period prior to the start of the new year, and if they do, then they can tell Bortles they are no longer picking up his option.

Bortles can show injured wrist to Jaguars and collect 19 million dollars, no? Jags are in soup here if they really want Cousins

Reactions: TRW

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
My opinion:

Bradford for his accuracy. Who cares if he can make a full season. All you need is 8-10 games to see if the Cards are a playoff team. If not turn the ball over to your draft pick to get experience for next year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My opinion:

Bradford for his accuracy. Who cares if he can make a full season. All you need is 8-10 games to see if the Cards are a playoff team. If not turn the ball over to your draft pick to get experience for next year.
lol wot?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not as expensive, true, but damn expensive.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Josh Allen aka Logan Thomas 2.0 = Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane

He's got the exact physical traits you want, but he can't read a defense, not even at a small school setting. What's he gonna do with the Rams defense or Seattle and Earl Thomas over the top.....

56% pass completion at that level...please. 6 INT's at Wyoming ....please...that's horrible. He was going against CB's that couldn't get scholarships...now he's gonna have the best in the world....he's dead meat!

No freaking way! If he's their boy....I'm not renewing my season tickets.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right, Mitch. Not my money, so I let you guys worry about that, but, I agree with you.

I just would like one each, a FA and a draft, preferably at 15.
+1.

While I share Mitch's concerns about the fragility of Bradford or Bridgewater, I'd compare their probability of injury with other leading candidates (including those QB's with a clean slate injury-wise). It wouldn't surprise me if their likelihood of injury was not all that different than your star rookie who breaks a pinkie.

(Note - Over the course of a season, I'd like to have at least 3 QB's on my roster I could win with - injuries are that common).

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the outside what is real and what is fake. If a lot of these rumors are true, then I don't want him leading this franchise. I just haven't made up my mind that these rumors are real yet. Unfortunately negative reports get clicks, so this could also be the case.

truth. however, the reports as it were, that I got were mostly last summer.. I give them a bit more credibility than anything that might suddenly pop up right before the draft.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
My hope is that the Broncos get Cousins. Then we trade up and get either Mayfield or Josh Allen. If we stay at 15 I would take Mason Rudolph. I just wish we had a top notch QB coach to teach our draft pick. Since we don't my pick would be Mayfield because I think he can win with no coaching what so ever and any that he would get would be a bonus.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My hope is that the Broncos get Cousins. Then we trade up and get either Mayfield or Josh Allen. If we stay at 15 I would take Mason Rudolph. I just wish we had a top notch QB coach to teach our draft pick. Since we don't my pick would be Mayfield because I think he can win with no coaching what so ever and any that he would get would be a bonus.
so...ya think if denver signs cousins they will trade away #5?