The QB Market: Yes or No?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Potential Free Agents:

1. Drew Stanton---NO---very happy the way things ended for him in AZ. But, it's time for a fresh start.

2. Blaine Gabbert---NO---proved his critics have merit, after given golden opportunity.

3. Kirk Cousins---NO---let the Broncos, Jets or Jaguars overpay him.

4. Sam Bradford---NO---you can't help the club from the tub.

5. Case Keenum---YES---if he agrees to a reasonable, incentives laden contract. Gritty competitor.

6. Tyrod Taylor---YES---superb TD/int ratio (51/18) @ 63% (career), has mobility.

7. Teddy Bridgewater---NO---too many question marks.

8. Josh McCown---YES---good bridge.

9. A.J. McCarron---YES---affordable and hungry to prove himself.

10. Jay Cutler---NO---please no.

11. Chase Daniel---YES---good bridge, can remain as backup when QBOF takes over.

Draft Picks:

YES at #15 to:

1. Sam Darnold---sturdy pocket passer with strong arm
2. Josh Allen---outstanding physical traits
3. Baker Mayfield---impressive intensity, skill set and desire to win
4. Lamar Jackson---a lightning rod dual-threat QB
5. Mason Rudolph---has size, arm and touch

NO at #15 to:

1. Josh Rosen---very Cutler-esque, plus injury red flags

YES on Day 2 to:

1. Luke Falk---good accuracy, moves the chains
2. Kyle Lauletta---Drew Stanton type QB with stronger accuracy
3. Mike White---has Nick Foles type ability

YES on Day 3 to: QBs who could develop

1. Quinton Flowers
2. Riley Ferguson
3. J.T. Barrett
4. Jeremiah Briscoe

Who are your top choices?

What I would like to see is a commitment from the Cardinals in Round 1 to a QBOF and thus a good, competitive bridge QB who comes in at a reasonable salary, and one who perhaps can remain the backup when the QBOF takes the reins.

Trade Up?

Yes---for Darnold, Mayfield or Allen

Last edited:

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Personally, on your draft picks, I would take any of your day one or day two picks and wouldn't mind your #1 or 2 picks on day three, maybe even Barrett.

On your free agents, I wouldn't mind Bradford, Bridgewater or McCarron.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think you are about right with your list except Chase Daniels.

I also think we get a QB we like either moving up just a few slots in the first , or dropping in the first and getting a day two QB early for that fifth year, instead of moving up day two.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’d pass on Day 3 guys. Falk is okay on Day 2 if you want a game manager-type. The other guys are are major development projects. People compare Lauletta to Garoppolo and look how long it took to develop him.

I agree on Rosen, but I keep hearing people (especially the Giants) like him. I think that’s too early on Jackson, but it still wouldn’t shock me if he was gone by 15.

On FAs Bridgewater wouldn’t scare me but oddly I’m hearing a Vikes May keep him. I think McCarron would be like drafting a rookie. I had him as a development project. I don’t think Taylor fits a run first. McCown seems the best fit, but can the Cards get a QB in the draft? If not McCown makes little sense. My post on the Smith trade covers the problem.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Personally, on your draft picks, I would take any of your day one or day two picks and wouldn't mind your #1 or 2 picks on day three, maybe even Barrett.

On your free agents, I wouldn't mind Bradford, Bridgewater or McCarron.

The issue with Bradford and Bridgewater might be money. If either of them signs for less that $10M a year, then that could work. Too risky to go higher than that, isn't it, gimpy?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think you are about right with your list except Chase Daniels.

I also think we get a QB we like either moving up just a few slots in the first , or dropping in the first and getting a day two QB early for that fifth year, instead of moving up day two.

b8rt, I think Daniels, who shouldn't command more than $4M, could be the bridge and eventual backup, whereas McCown would most likely be a one and done. I also think that Daniels could be next year's Case Keenum, given the right coach and opportunity.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Cousins is clearly the best FA QB. I doubt Keim is the type of GM that gives him more than 70 million guaranted, since that's what Alex Smith got who is 4 years older than Cousins. Also our cap situation is bad compared to other QB needy teams.

That said, I like our situation much better now. Redskins are drafting 13th and were a pretty sure bet to select a QB until they got Alex Smith. Cousins most likely landing spots are the Broncos, Jets and Browns. All of them pick early, but won't draft a QB if they land Cousins. Colts with the 3rd pick won't draft a QB. Now take a look at this year's deep QB class with Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson and Rudolph as QBs with 1st round grades. I can easily see us staying put and get a QBOF without mortgaging our future. This must be very appealing to Keim. But I hope he doesn't get too comfortable either! If you identify your guy you have to trade up, even if it's just a couple spots!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I’d pass on Day 3 guys. Falk is okay on Day 2 if you want a game manager-type. The other guys are are major development projects. People compare Lauletta to Garoppolo and look how long it took to develop him.

I agree on Rosen, but I keep hearing people (especially the Giants) like him. I think that’s too early on Jackson, but it still wouldn’t shock me if he was gone by 15.

On FAs Bridgewater wouldn’t scare me but oddly I’m hearing a Vikes May keep him. I think McCarron would be like drafting a rookie. I had him as a development project. I don’t think Taylor fits a run first. McCown seems the best fit, but can the Cards get a QB in the draft? If not McCown makes little sense. My post on the Smith trade covers the problem.

Harry, i think Jimmy G. could have played early on in his career. He was pretty well developed from the get-go. Not sure about Lauletta.

All of that is moot, if the Cardinals finally commit to a QB in Round 1.

My guess is that if they don't trade up it would be Jackson or Rudolph, as Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield are off the board.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Right, Mitch. Not my money, so I let you guys worry about that, but, I agree with you.

I just would like one each, a FA and a draft, preferably at 15.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree with your list except for McCown. Too old and brittle, he hasn't finished season in forever. Plus, last year was a way, way outlier for Josh IMO. No thank you.

Any of the others are OK together with drafting one of the young bucks you mentioned in round 1 or 2.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cousins is the best option for the Cardinals to win games, period. Makes us an instant contender. Him and DJ with Fitz and a draft pic at WR makes us a contender to not only the West, but for years to come.

The rest are simply bridge qb's. We might can trade up to the Redskins pick to get Mayfield or the qb that fell. But bottom line, to compete this year, we HAVE to sign Cousins, or do another flash-in-the-bottle pick with McCarron AND a draft pick for qb.

Sam Bradford cannot guarantee you 16 games

Tyrod Taylor is ok. But wont get you over the top

McCarron is unknown. He could be a qbotf but thats rolling the dice.

Teddy is an unknown commodity after his injury

The rest are just not worth mentioning IMO

Cousins or bust for me.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Cousins is the best option for the Cardinals to win games, period. Makes us an instant contender. Him and DJ with Fitz and a draft pic at WR makes us a contender to not only the West, but for years to come.

The rest are simply bridge qb's. We might can trade up to the Redskins pick to get Mayfield or the qb that fell. But bottom line, to compete this year, we HAVE to sign Cousins, or do another flash-in-the-bottle pick with McCarron AND a draft pick for qb.

Sam Bradford cannot guarantee you 16 games

Tyrod Taylor is ok. But wont get you over the top

McCarron is unknown. He could be a qbotf but thats rolling the dice.

Teddy is an unknown commodity after his injury

The rest are just not worth mentioning IMO

Cousins or bust for me.

I agree that Cousins is the best immediate option---and i like the idea of acquiring him as a counter to the 49ers acquiring Jimmy G. Because Cousins was the QB Shanahan has wanted all along, but figured he might not be able to get.

Cousins' salary demands are steep, as we all know. Can anyone see him picking the Cardinals over the Broncos or Jaguars?

I guess, Vacard, part of my snap reaction to say no to Cousins is tied to the notion that Cousins' interest in the Cardinals could be minimal.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree that Cousins is the best immediate option---and i like the idea of acquiring him as a counter to the 49ers acquiring Jimmy G. Because Cousins was the QB Shanahan has wanted all along, but figured he might not be able to get.

Cousins' salary demands are steep, as we all know. Can anyone see him picking the Cardinals over the Broncos or Jaguars?

I guess, Vacard, part of my snap reaction to say no to Cousins is tied to the notion that Cousins' interest in the Cardinals could be minimal.
I agree that Cousins might be unattainable now.

But the bridges I've mentioned are the only ones that really matter IMO.

If Cousins like the team, the scenery, the COACH, then yes. Because Vance Joseph sucks. We know what he could do. They have Von Miller but thats it. We have better offensive weapons. We are a better team then the Broncos. McCoy made Tim Teebow a NFL qb. A better defense too.

Now Jax?? Ehh thats a tough one. If he goes there, they will be like Seattle in the future, either invest in their Defense or protect Cousins, but Cousins cant run like Russ. The defense will have to leave in the future if they want to continue to protect Cousins.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I agree that Cousins might be unattainable now.

But the bridges I've mentioned are the only ones that really matter IMO.

If Cousins like the team, the scenery, the COACH, then yes. Because Vance Joseph sucks. We know what he could do. They have Von Miller but thats it. We have better offensive weapons. We are a better team then the Broncos. McCoy made Tim Teebow a NFL qb. A better defense too.

Now Jax?? Ehh thats a tough one. If he goes there, they will be like Seattle in the future, either invest in their Defense or protect Cousins, but Cousins cant run like Russ. The defense will have to leave in the future if they want to continue to protect Cousins.

I would doubt that the perception around the league is that the Cardinals are better than the Broncos. It doesn't help that our WR unit is thin. Fitz hasn't declared whether he will be returning. The OL woes the past couple of years are a concern. Plus, I am not sure that at this point Mike McCoy is a legitimate calling card for a QB like Cousins. Not sure either that Steve Keim is going to win a bidding war.

Jacksonville has the cap room to make their move on Cousins---and they are in vogue right now. Tom Coughlin is a major calling card. And they look like a good QB away from winning a Super Bowl.

If they do sign Cousins and let Blake Bortles go, would or should the Cardinals have interest in him?

Bortles really grew on me during the playoffs. He flat-out gave it his all and there were stretches, like his first half versus the Patriots where he was right on the money, plus making plays with his feet. I think he is better than most people think.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I would doubt that the perception around the league is that the Cardinals are better than the Broncos. It doesn't help that our WR unit is thin. Fitz hasn't declared whether he will be returning. The OL woes the past couple of years are a concern. Plus, I am not sure that at this point Mike McCoy is a legitimate calling card for a QB like Cousins. Not sure either that Steve Keim is going to win a bidding war.

Jacksonville has the cap room to make their move on Cousins---and they are in vogue right now. Tom Coughlin is a major calling card. And they look like a good QB away from winning a Super Bowl.

If they do sign Cousins and let Blake Bortles go, would or should the Cardinals have interest in him?

Bortles really grew on me during the playoffs. He flat-out gave it his all and there were stretches, like his first half versus the Patriots where he was right on the money, plus making plays with his feet. I think he is better than most people think.

Bortles, like Cousins and smith... is just good enough to make Keim think he has his guy...and having that decent playoff run only made his price go up should he come available.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if Cousins signs with either the Broncos or Jets, it makes Baker falling to us way more likely. We would just would have to worry about CLE, NYG, & the team that didn’t get Cousins now, but that’s also considering they like Allen more than Mayfield.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think if Cousins signs with either the Broncos or Jets, it makes Baker falling to us way more likely. We would just would have to worry about CLE, NYG, & the team that didn’t get Cousins now, but that’s also considering they like Allen more than Mayfield.
it also throws the skins up in the air...with a 4 year deal you would think they are out of the market for this draft... but Smith likely retires at the end of this contract so they need to draft one sometime in the next few years.

Aikdog

Reaction score
Taylor as a short term starter over the next two seasons and Lamar Jackson in the draft to learn and back him up. That should be affordable for us to afford cap wise and should not require the loss of draft picks to move up in the Draft. I believe Jackson has the biggest ceiling of any QB in the Draft but we would be much better served to bring him on slowly.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Taylor as a short term starter over the next two seasons and Lamar Jackson in the draft to learn and back him up. That should be affordable for us to afford cap wise and should not require the loss of draft picks to move up in the Draft. I believe Jackson has the biggest ceiling of any QB in the Draft but we would be much better served to bring him on slowly.

I would love this scenario of Taylor and Jackson.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Potential Free Agents:

1. Drew Stanton---NO---very happy the way things ended for him in AZ. But, it's time for a fresh start.

2. Blaine Gabbert---NO---proved his critics have merit, after given golden opportunity.

3. Kirk Cousins---NO---let the Broncos, Jets or Jaguars overpay him.

4. Sam Bradford---NO---you can't help the club from the tub.

5. Case Keenum---YES---if he agrees to a reasonable, incentives laden contract. Gritty competitor.

6. Tyrod Taylor---YES---superb TD/int ratio (51/18) @ 63% (career), has mobility.

7. Teddy Bridgewater---NO---too many question marks.

8. Josh McCown---YES---good bridge.

9. A.J. McCarron---YES---affordable and hungry to prove himself.

10. Jay Cutler---NO---please no.

11. Chase Daniel---YES---good bridge, can remain as backup when QBOF takes over.

Draft Picks:

YES at #15 to:

1. Sam Darnold---sturdy pocket passer with strong arm
2. Josh Allen---outstanding physical traits
3. Baker Mayfield---impressive intensity, skill set and desire to win
4. Lamar Jackson---a lightning rod dual-threat QB
5. Mason Rudolph---has size, arm and touch

NO at #15 to:

1. Josh Rosen---very Cutler-esque, plus injury red flags

YES on Day 2 to:

1. Luke Falk---good accuracy, moves the chains
2. Kyle Lauletta---Drew Stanton type QB with stronger accuracy
3. Mike White---has Nick Foles type ability

YES on Day 3 to: QBs who could develop

1. Quinton Flowers
2. Riley Ferguson
3. J.T. Barrett
4. Jeremiah Briscoe

Who are your top choices?

What I would like to see is a commitment from the Cardinals in Round 1 to a QBOF and thus a good, competitive bridge QB who comes in at a reasonable salary, and one who perhaps can remain the backup when the QBOF takes the reins.

Trade Up?

Yes---for Darnold, Mayfield or Allen

[/QUOTE

I think Cards sign a under 30 QB who won`t be a big dollar guy who is looking for a chance to prove himself .A tom Savage or Dave Fales and draft a defensive player Round 1 (Denzel Ward CB or Vita Vea DT or other top rated defender in RD 1.QBOF will be in Rd 2..I also think Wilks and Keim ask several guys too restructure deals or get cut.I also think there will be close to 50% roster change from last season.One would think Wilks has the okay to remake the team his own way and will be given some leeway as long as the team stays competitive.I don`t expect a full roster gutting but i do think there will be several surprising cuts and maybe a trade or two of veterans for late round picks in the draft.I fully expect the team to take some lumps during his remake or rebuild.With a caretaker QB and smart drafting this team can be competitive.Plus a smart cheap Free agent signing or two for the secondary (CB) the Cards can look farther than the end of their nose and be planning to be better and think a lttle ahead.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would take all the QB's you listed at 15 with Rudolph being the possible exception. I would also include Rosen. Highly unlikely we will have to make this decision, but Aaron Rodgers doesn't even get along with his own family. Rivers and Roethlisberger aren't loved by all. This is where I think Wilks will be an asset with character judgment moving forward. Jackson is the QB that intrigues me. The biggest knock on him is his leadership skills. I've watched interviews and he seems very soft spoken and reserved. From everything I heard he is a great kid who works hard, but the QB has to command the huddle and I'm not sure yet if he has that personality.

As far as second day. I really like Luke Falk and Lualeta. I would love to get them in the 3rd, but if the FO likes one of them they would be very foolish to wait. Lauleta has the quick release and accuracy that reminds me of Romo.

I would add in Teddy for FA to look at. I like Keenum too. But this all depends on what their price tag is. I've been hearing that Keenum will demand somewhere around 18M per year and that is way too rich for me.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the Alex Smith trade is going to cause league wide panic because the veteran market won’t meet the demand. I think BUF now thinks long and hard on hanging on to Taylor who would be my primary target. Unless BUF is taking a QB in Round 1 I don’t think they risk losing Taylor to chase Cousins who most likely ends up in DEN IMO. Taylor & Jackson would be ideal scenario as they are nearly identical in terms of ability that McCoy wouldn’t have to change systems if/when Jackson is ready to relieve or replace Taylor. But again I think BUF now hangs on to Taylor until they know they have a suitable replacement. Foles trade market and Keenum’s market just skyrocketed now that a 35 year old Smith just signed a 4 year $90M (potentially) extension that will expire when he is 39 years old....yowzas.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score

I think it's going to be the Jets. He'll use the Browns for leverage to get what he wants from New York. I can't see John Elway giving Kurt cousins $26 million a year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I would take all the QB's you listed at 15 with Rudolph being the possible exception. I would also include Rosen. Highly unlikely we will have to make this decision, but Aaron Rodgers doesn't even get along with his own family. Rivers and Roethlisberger aren't loved by all. This is where I think Wilks will be an asset with character judgment moving forward. Jackson is the QB that intrigues me. The biggest knock on him is his leadership skills. I've watched interviews and he seems very soft spoken and reserved. From everything I heard he is a great kid who works hard, but the QB has to command the huddle and I'm not sure yet if he has that personality.

As far as second day. I really like Luke Falk and Lualeta. I would love to get them in the 3rd, but if the FO likes one of them they would be very foolish to wait. Lauleta has the quick release and accuracy that reminds me of Romo.

I would add in Teddy for FA to look at. I like Keenum too. But this all depends on what their price tag is. I've been hearing that Keenum will demand somewhere around 18M per year and that is way too rich for me.

my biggest knocks on Rosen... only mild popularity with his team mates...

and I read a couple articles in which it was stated he likes football because the offseason allows him lots of time for his "activism"...gives me images of Kaepernic 2.0....and I really dont wannt to see that kinda stuff around the redbirds...its distracting and divisive and the clubhouse/locker room needs to be a place of unity.

also,...are maybe the activism and the mild popularity among team mates related?

Those are my concerns...as far as his play on the field the kid is straight

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard