Missed QB Opportunity

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do u think the Brown win Yesterday has something tò do with the third qb or with the different approach effort and intensity from the whole team, especially from their defense?

Ravens are a division game against a major rival. There was no lack of focus or intensity. I think PJ Walker played far better than DTR and that affects the whole team.

PJ Walker wasn't great, but he was far better than DTR and the team played as if they had a chance.

My point being, don't think Dobbs (who had a better game yesterday than PJ Walker) is not better than the alternative, because it definitely can get much worse.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I must have done a bad job with this piece I hurriedly threw up after the game. My point was never I was confident Tune would play better than Dobbs. I think the personnel moves Ossenfort made during the last off-season indicated this year was not about winning as many games as possible. It was more about getting a functional coaching staff in place and assessing what core of players could be built upon. I intended to reflect Dobbs was a known quantity. He likely would win a game here or there. Starting him just confirmed what he had to offer. Tune may very well have played worse. That said, would he have shown flashes he could play in the NFL? Did he improve from game to game? Could he keep his composure under pressure? Could he throw the tree when it counted? Did he motivate the players around him? Did he take instructions and stay focused mid-game? Was he a potential NFL QB at some level? You cannot make those determinations in practice, unless he’s terrible (he would have been cut). I just think starting Dobbs didn’t make any contribution to the rebuild. I also believe, with Murray anticipated to return soon, an opportunity to find out what Tune offered was missed.

Personally I'd rather play better football and be in games than get destroyed just so we can see what Tune might have.

For what purpose? He's a backup here at best. They can see what he has in practice and like with all backups hope they never have to see what he can do in a game.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think I must have done a bad job with this piece I hurriedly threw up after the game. My point was never I was confident Tune would play better than Dobbs. I think the personnel moves Ossenfort made during the last off-season indicated this year was not about winning as many games as possible. It was more about getting a functional coaching staff in place and assessing what core of players could be built upon. I intended to reflect Dobbs was a known quantity. He likely would win a game here or there. Starting him just confirmed what he had to offer. Tune may very well have played worse. That said, would he have shown flashes he could play in the NFL? Did he improve from game to game? Could he keep his composure under pressure? Could he throw the tree when it counted? Did he motivate the players around him? Did he take instructions and stay focused mid-game? Was he a potential NFL QB at some level? You cannot make those determinations in practice, unless he’s terrible (he would have been cut). I just think starting Dobbs didn’t make any contribution to the rebuild. I also believe, with Murray anticipated to return soon, an opportunity to find out what Tune offered was missed.
Great clarity - agree w this post.

Reactions: PJ1

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
The players also see who Tune is in practice during the week and in camp. There’s a reason they all fell in behind Dobbs.

Why do we have to know that? If anything, we’ve learned how easy it is to find a QB who can perform at a below-average level but not be a Ryan Lindley-level catastrophe.

Dobbs has done it twice. The Cleveland QB just arrived a couple weeks ago. Shoot, we did it with David Blough last year.

I’m just in no hurry to discover whether Clayton Tune is a similar or much worse flavor of poo than Josh Dobbs.
Ya this. Other team related factors are probably being considered:
a) keep our atrocious Defense off the field as much as possible.
b) Its no longer about scoring, it's about surviving the season.
c) keep the rest of the players engaged for the remainder of the season.
d) We still have 11 games to go and these types of performances are now going to be the norm. There is still plenty of time to throw Tune in over this time period, "if" Murray is still not ready. I'm not sure Murray plays until the bye anyway which is a ways from now.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dobbs would be a great 2nd string qb for Murray. I’m not too worried what miracle hidden talent Tune might provide.
Dobbs is one of more than a few reasons we have lost these games but he certainly isn’t the only reason.
More than likely if Murray breaks down next year for more than a game or two we are going to be in a bad way.
Back up qb’s can only help win games when he has a great supporting cast.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I can see why Petzing wants Dobbs - non-rookie who knows his system

And I can see a visually frustrated Gannon in the post game literally mentioning the TD throws missed by Dobbs