The Official Yuma Scorpions thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yuma in solid position for wild card, or taking Mesa Miners down for Division Title! :thumbup:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scorpions to play final game in Mexico

08/06/05
Golden Baseball League (GBL)

Yuma, AZ -
Following in the footsteps of Major League Baseball's previous decisions to hold regular season games south of the U.S. border, the Yuma Scorpions have announced that they have reached an agreement with officials in San Luis Rio Colorado, Mexico, to play their final regular season game at Estadio Revolucion in San Luis on Tuesday, August 30th. The game is a makeup game which was originally slated to be the second game of a June 30th doubleheader against the Japan Samurai Bears. GBL Commissioner Kevin Outcalt, GBL Latin America Director Eduardo Almada, Scorpions' Manager Benny Castillo, and Scorpions' Bench Coach Antonio Villaescusa met with San Luis stadium officials Friday afternoon to finalize the deal. The game will be an 8PM start, and will be a fundraiser for a number of charities in San Luis, including a marching band that has been invited to play in the 2006 Rose Bowl Parade on New Year's Day.

Why the change of venue? "As a requirement for their playing visas, the Japan Samurai Bears must play at least one of their games outside the United States," said Outcalt. "And this is a great way to incorporate the great baseball fans in Mexico into the Scorpions' fan base. They'll get a chance to see a team that they may have only had a chance to hear about so far, as well as see the Samurai Bears, which should have a strong following considering the strong Asian population south of the U.S. border." In fact, the head of Sonora's tourism department is of Japanese descent.

As part of the agreement, the GBL has agreed to help with stadium maintenance and minor improvements in preparation of the game. The game could very well decide some part of the Scorpions' postseason fate, since the current state of the league playoff race is so tight, and this game will now be the last one on the GBL's regular season schedule. Arrangements for ticket prices and availability are currently being finalized, and the Scorpions will be providing the opportunity for their fans to purchase tickets for the events. Details will be made available soon.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Scorpions to play final game in Mexico

08/06/05
Golden Baseball League (GBL)

Yuma, AZ -
Following in the footsteps of Major League Baseball's previous decisions to hold regular season games south of the U.S. border, the Yuma Scorpions have announced that they have reached an agreement with officials in San Luis Rio Colorado, Mexico, to play their final regular season game at Estadio Revolucion in San Luis on Tuesday, August 30th. The game is a makeup game which was originally slated to be the second game of a June 30th doubleheader against the Japan Samurai Bears. GBL Commissioner Kevin Outcalt, GBL Latin America Director Eduardo Almada, Scorpions' Manager Benny Castillo, and Scorpions' Bench Coach Antonio Villaescusa met with San Luis stadium officials Friday afternoon to finalize the deal. The game will be an 8PM start, and will be a fundraiser for a number of charities in San Luis, including a marching band that has been invited to play in the 2006 Rose Bowl Parade on New Year's Day.

Why the change of venue? "As a requirement for their playing visas, the Japan Samurai Bears must play at least one of their games outside the United States," said Outcalt. "And this is a great way to incorporate the great baseball fans in Mexico into the Scorpions' fan base. They'll get a chance to see a team that they may have only had a chance to hear about so far, as well as see the Samurai Bears, which should have a strong following considering the strong Asian population south of the U.S. border." In fact, the head of Sonora's tourism department is of Japanese descent.

As part of the agreement, the GBL has agreed to help with stadium maintenance and minor improvements in preparation of the game. The game could very well decide some part of the Scorpions' postseason fate, since the current state of the league playoff race is so tight, and this game will now be the last one on the GBL's regular season schedule. Arrangements for ticket prices and availability are currently being finalized, and the Scorpions will be providing the opportunity for their fans to purchase tickets for the events. Details will be made available soon.
Or if the Scorpions keep losing, it might not decide anything! :computer:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got our Yuma Scorpions "season tickets" in the mail.

They offer general admission tickets to ANY 10 games for only $30.

Since they're the only Arizona team left in the GBL, we'll make the commute to support the players and coaches, etc.

Last year was really special with the Miners.

Hoping for another great baseball summer. :cool:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, BIM, I am too far away to do anything but check the web site. :( Hope you get to see some good ball! :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Well, BIM, I am too far away to do anything but check the web site. :( Hope you get to see some good ball! :)

C'mon, Yuma!!

The Mesa Miners went away - to Reno, NV. About 30 miles from Carson City. They're now the Reno Silver Sox. Good for you, if you want to see some baseball. :thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
C'mon, Yuma!!

The Mesa Miners went away - to Reno, NV. About 30 miles from Carson City. They're now the Reno Silver Sox. Good for you, if you want to see some baseball. :thumbup:
Oh. Then let me stand corrected! So last year I was battling you with the Yuma team while you were backing the Mesa team. Now you are taking up the Yuma team and now I am taking up the Mesa, now Reno team? How bizzare! :thud:

Actually, Reno seems like a baseball town. Lots of people follow and wear the gear for the Reno College there. The news shows lots of people at the games. Maybe the team might do well up here. :shrug:

Plus, there's actual mining going on here. Not like Mesa. So they should have kept the Miner name.

Last edited:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I miss the GBL. Good times last year. Mesa Miners games were a blast, for all six of us that went.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard