Official 2023 Cardinals Camp thread

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Definitely agree with the first sentence here. I don't think anyone can argue the FO was conserving money--not just cap space, but cash. I don't like it because we need to evaluate KM when he comes back from injury, so OL--especially C--is an area I wanted addressed in a solid way. Not in an intriguing, maybe okay, off the developmental heap kind of way.

That said, at this point, I hope all the optimism is bang on target. It would be gravy.
I want the Oline to be a strength. I get the concern of center. But have we ever had a “good” center? Hudson was supposed to be and that flopped.

AQ Shipley was our best center for along time and was he anything more than average?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How?

Has there been another team with a roster like ours (void of talent) that successfully built around a top 5 paid QB?
I mean if you want talent cheap you get it by accumulating draft picks. All it takes is getting lucky with a couple difference makers and the lesser talents start to shine in their roles. Legion of boom came out of 2 drafts.

Eli and Peyton Manning both won superbowls as top 5 paid quarterbacks, Mahomes won it last year with the second highest cap hit for a quarterback Roethlisberger and Brady have won it only being ~2 mill outside of top 5 money. The idea that a good quarterback can only win a Superbowl during his rookie contract is silly. I think we are going to see more highly paid QBs winning it now that Brady isn't there to win every other year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When you've got a transcendent, generational talent like K1, you figure out a way, okay?

I think it’s kind of crazy that people are excited to move on from Kyler Murray in the hope that they’ll be able to draft a quarterback that can develop into being about as good as Kyler Murray.

I mean if you want talent cheap you get it by accumulating draft picks. All it takes is getting lucky with a couple difference makers and the lesser talents start to shine in their roles. Legion of boom came out of 2 drafts.

Eli and Peyton Manning both won superbowls as top 5 paid quarterbacks, Mahomes won it last year with the second highest cap hit for a quarterback Roethlisberger and Brady have won it only being ~2 mill outside of top 5 money. The idea that a good quarterback can only win a Superbowl during his rookie contract is silly. I think we are going to see more highly paid QBs winning it now that Brady isn't there to win every other year.

Mahomes just won the Super Bowl on a veteran contract. The Rams dumped a #1 overall QB on a new contract extension that hadn’t even kicked in yet and won the Super Bowl the next season.

Stripping a team with a Pro Bowl QB down to the studs seems deranged. Really interested to see what happens next year. Not at all interested in seeing what happens this year. Wife is going to be annoyed at how attentive I’m going to be to her over the next 20 Sundays.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Eli and Peyton Manning both won superbowls as top 5 paid quarterbacks, Mahomes won it last year with the second highest cap hit for a quarterback

Thank you for the reply but you missed the question. Not top 5 paid QB but building out a winning team with a roster like ours and a top 5 paid QB to start with.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Based on where we have been/where we are...I am 100% for this tear down and rebuild.

The key is going to be drafting well over the next 2-3 years.
We will need to add key free agents and of course, keep our own draft picks for 2nd contracts.

We haven't done it before but I am all for it.

I consider this the Pittsburgh Steeler model.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Based on where we have been/where we are...I am 100% for this tear down and rebuild.

The key is going to be drafting well over the next 2-3 years.
We will need to add key free agents and of course, keep our own draft picks for 2nd contracts.

We haven't done it before but I am all for it.

I consider this the Pittsburgh Steeler model.
The same Steeler model that kept their QB and rebuilt around him over and over, until his wheel’s finally fell off? The same Steelers who, on paper seemed to have substandard rosters and depth, several times, yet with that QB and good coaching, never had a losing season? Sign me up.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The same Steeler model that kept their QB and rebuilt around him over and over, until his wheel’s finally fell off? The same Steelers who, on paper seemed to have substandard rosters and depth, several times, yet with that QB and good coaching, never had a losing season? Sign me up.

Not sure if your advocating for keeping Kyler as an example of the Steeler model.

They had the foundation when they drafted Big Ben. He went 13-0 as a rookie.

They lost in the AFC Championship game his rookie season and then won the Super Bowl the next year.

We don't have that.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Not sure if your advocating for keeping Kyler as an example of the Steeler model.

They had the foundation when they drafted Big Ben. He went 13-0 as a rookie.

They lost in the AFC Championship game his rookie season and then won the Super Bowl the next year.

We don't have that.
What I'm advocating hasn't changed at all.. this team doesn't have a full foundation today and won't have one going into the 2024 draft. They would be so much better off, if Murray can come back healthy and show that he is the quarterback they need, so that they can spend all of those draft picks to build around him. If they feel they need to move on from him, I'm not going to cry about it, but we will all have to press pause for at least another season or two, while the new QB develops. This team isn't going 13-0 with a rookie QB.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Murray can come back healthy and show that he is the quarterback they need, so that they can spend all of those draft picks to build around him.

Still asking...has there EVER been a team with a roster like ours and a top 5 paid QB that was able to "build around" them with a championship team?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard