The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I suppose the result is all that matters, but damn, that was a pretty ugly game. What chances we did create in that horrific first half our classless striker wasted. We had a really strong period to start the second half, got the goal, and from there, it could have been anyone's game. Looked for a while at the end like we'd give up the equalizer.

The US might be able to pull this "first half suckage" crap and get through CONCACAF, but it won't fly in the world cup. This must be fixed.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I suppose the result is all that matters, but damn, that was a pretty ugly game. What chances we did create in that horrific first half our classless striker wasted. We had a really strong period to start the second half, got the goal, and from there, it could have been anyone's game. Looked for a while at the end like we'd give up the equalizer.

The US might be able to pull this "first half suckage" crap and get through CONCACAF, but it won't fly in the world cup. This must be fixed.
Finishing has always been a problem for the US. They either knock everything into the back of the net or they can't hit the broadside of a barn. Last night after the goal was a horror show. I was surprised El Salvador didn't equalize the match. Way too many unforced giveaways in the second half.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The morons at US Soccer that insist on matches in cold weather against relative minnows of the region are to blame (I can understand against Mexico and maybe Costa Rica and to return the favor against Canada). The next home match is in freaking Minnesota next week against Honduras. That is criminal, people can get freaking hurt just from the weather--we aren't going to see good soccer in that climate and it negates any perceived advantage USSF thinks we have. Right now the forecast is for a high of 8 and a low of -10 with 15-17 MPH wind gusts.

The most common cause of frostbite is exposure to cold-weather conditions. Risk increases as air temperature falls below 5 F (minus 15 C), even with low wind speeds. In wind chill of minus 16.6 F (minus 27 C), frostbite can occur on exposed skin in less than 30 minutes.

Stout

Reaction score
The morons at US Soccer that insist on matches in cold weather against relative minnows of the region are to blame (I can understand against Mexico and maybe Costa Rica and to return the favor against Canada). The next home match is in freaking Minnesota next week against Honduras. That is criminal, people can get freaking hurt just from the weather--we aren't going to see good soccer in that climate and it negates any perceived advantage USSF thinks we have. Right now the forecast is for a high of 8 and a low of -10 with 15-17 MPH wind gusts.

The most common cause of frostbite is exposure to cold-weather conditions. Risk increases as air temperature falls below 5 F (minus 15 C), even with low wind speeds. In wind chill of minus 16.6 F (minus 27 C), frostbite can occur on exposed skin in less than 30 minutes.
It's not very smart, no, but it absolutely doesn't excuse the putrid 1st half and the disjointed effort all around. That's down to coaching.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It's not very smart, no, but it absolutely doesn't excuse the putrid 1st half and the disjointed effort all around. That's down to coaching.

This is true, coaching continues to be a problem but you aren't getting your best soccer in terrible conditions and that just magnifies the problem.

At least the playing surfaces are heated so they won't be playing on frozen ground but running around and breathing in that frozen air is going to make for a miserable experience. I know that from experience, one stay in Minneapolis during late January/Early February was enough for my lifetime.

US Soccer is full of idiots.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Barely beating minnows, and no vision or direction. Wasting time with Berhalter and not fixing that mistake is incredible.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
They are playing with fire a bit with this cold weather stuff

Last night wasn't that bad and I'd be OK with it as Columbus isn't typically that cold and it gives a chance to acclimate before going into Hamilton

The Minneapolis game is stupid. It's actually not that bad right now there, but it looks like this more moderate stretch is ending right about game time and single digits should be expected

It could have been much worse - I lived there during a winter where we went 2 weeks without breaking 0

That isn't acclimating for a tougher game, that isn't playing a home field advantage, it's not even playing to the strengths of the team

Honduras isn't Mexico - you don't have to worry about putting it in TX, AZ, CA or NV from a fan perspective.

The US has them well covered in talent and abilities - bitter cold will just reduce the impact of that margin and give Honduras more comfort in being defensive with the hope of a quick counter of a mistake

I don't like it at all

Last edited:

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The game today took place a couple miles from my house. It was cold but kind of nice for late January. I’m cheering for both teams to qualify but it’ll be nearly 40 years since Canada’s only WC appearance.

Panama just tied it up vs. Jamaica. A loss would provide some cushion for the US. They’ll play head-to-head in March as well.

Stout

Reaction score
Berhalter thinks we dominated: https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...ated-canada-despite-world-cup-qualifying-loss

Someone tell him possession and "shots" mean next to nothing. How about we had 3 shots on goal, one of which I don't remember, one of which was an easy save, and they had 4 shots on goal, 2 of which were 1-on-1, and resulted in goals. You didn't dominate Jack, Berhalter.

When are we firing this joker again?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Think about the last two games and you can see that both Canada and El Salvador played exactly the type of game you play in order to beat the US. Let the US hold TOP and you counterattack them because the US is susceptible to that. The US is not really a dangerous team in possession. Their struggles to create good scoring chances when they face a loaded defense is quite evident. There's a lot of passing around the perimeter but you almost never see penetrating one touch passing inside that creates problems for the opposing defense. US rolls their outside backs up high into the attack leaving them exposed to counterattacks especially if the opponent can get downfield on the counter quickly. You could see confusion on the part of the US defense when teams counterattack them.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Now we will see whether the game in MN ends up being the fiasco it has the potential to be.

There needs to be a change in leadership quick.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
It's lining up like it could be.

With my family there they are saying it's currently around 5-10 degrees out.

Once the sun goes down that will drop.

Overnight lows projected around -10.

So the have very well could be played around 0 degrees.

There is a wind chill warning in effect as well once it gets to evening...... Wind chills could hit -20 to -30 feel

Hopefully it's calm and just cold for the game

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Literally dangerous conditions, US Soccer is just so small minded.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah - they should hopefully avoid the worst of wind-chill, but the warning indicates frost bite can set in on exposed skin in under 20 minutes at that level of wind chill

It's not a cute idea

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You really have to ask yourself what the hell they were thinking when they scheduled this game in Minnesota in February. Absolute moronic thing to do.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Well, I flipped out over the lineup. I was wrong. I usually can't stand Accosta, but he was nails on the free kicks. Good win.
The one who impressed me tonight was Torre. I thought he did an outstanding job out of the midfield. Weah on the other hand not so much. Consistently bad first touches and his crosses were nothing to write home about. If he's the best we have to play on the right up front then we have problems. Others who I thought had a good game were KcKennie and I agree Acosta who hasn't always been one of my favorites. Biggest disappointment of this set of qualifiers was Pulisic. I thought moving Zimmerman inside ended up being a good move. He looked composed there. Of course the quality of the opponent didn't test him much. Cannon played fine at RB in place of Zimmerman.

I don't see what they see in Zardes. Based on the team that played in the gold cup I thought Hoppe was better than Zardes and would rather see him on the roster.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The bottom line is we're not making any noise with this team with Berhalter at the helm. Sure, we can still get results against the minnows of CONCACAF, but our weaknesses are exposed against the Mexicos/Canadas of the world.

The most depressing part of this current iteration is that the historical nature of US teams was overachieving and the sum being greater than the parts. This group has more talent but lacks the continuity and spirit of teams of the past.

Hiring Berhalter was such a catastrophic error - he's just comically unqualified and has shown no ability to bring any cohesiveness to this team.

I just hope Jesse Marsch is available after our inevitable fall.

Stout

Reaction score
The bottom line is we're not making any noise with this team with Berhalter at the helm. Sure, we can still get results against the minnows of CONCACAF, but our weaknesses are exposed against the Mexicos/Canadas of the world.

The most depressing part of this current iteration is that the historical nature of US teams was overachieving and the sum being greater than the parts. This group has more talent but lacks the continuity and spirit of teams of the past.

Hiring Berhalter was such a catastrophic error - he's just comically unqualified and has shown no ability to bring any cohesiveness to this team.

I just hope Jesse Marsch is available after our inevitable fall.
I'm with you. Look at Canada. They were a joke team, and now they're the best in CONCACAF. We're nowhere near where we need to be, especially considering we have a LOT more talent than we used to have.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's especially galling because Marsch is available and is a perfect match to our young talent. We need to be running teams off the field with high pressure, not this ridiculous positional Berhalter ball.

The fact that this doesn't get more scrutiny is more an indictment of US soccer being small potatoes than anything. They don't even try.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard