Chivas USA folds; MLS will realign, relaunch second LA team in 2017

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-fut...contraction-folds-mls-los-angeles-realignment

As expected, Chivas USA has played its final game. On Monday afternoon, Major League Soccer officially pulled the plug on its failed Southern California soccer experiment, announcing that the 10-year-old club will cease operations and be replaced by an expansion team scheduled to launch in 2017.

As a result, MLS will be a 20-team league next year. Newcomers Orlando City and New York City FC will join the Eastern Conference while Sporting Kansas City and the Houston Dynamo – which have combined to claim the past three Eastern titles – will move to the Western Conference. In 2017, Atlanta and the new Los Angeles club will join the league, boosting membership to 22.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of a second LA team, they need to spread the franchises out. Phoenix needs a team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of a second LA team, they need to spread the franchises out. Phoenix needs a team.

If Phoenix could somehow share US Airways or Glendale arena (what the hell is it now) that would work. We couldn't support building a soccer specific building here IMO. I'd really like to get into MLS, but I can't without a local team.

I really think the MLS should go somewhere different. LA doesn't need a 2nd team and South Florida doesn't need another team after that one folded too.

There are better markets that deserve one. Phoenix is on that list, but further down than places like Atlanta for example IMO.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Phoenix could somehow share US Airways or Glendale arena (what the hell is it now) that would work. We couldn't support building a soccer specific building here IMO. I'd really like to get into MLS, but I can't without a local team.

I really think the MLS should go somewhere different. LA doesn't need a 2nd team and South Florida doesn't need another team after that one folded too.

There are better markets that deserve one. Phoenix is on that list, but further down than places like Atlanta for example IMO.

I wouldn't put Atlanta on the list - support for non-football teams is very poor.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put Atlanta on the list - support for non-football teams is very poor.

Same was said about Oklahoma City before the Thunder and even Kansas City (even with the Royals) but both of those worked out.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Same was said about Oklahoma City before the Thunder and even Kansas City (even with the Royals) but both of those worked out.

OKC is a much different example. They showed great support for the Hornets/Pelicans in the short term, then got a monster superstar to follow as a franchise player in KD, along with Russ as the #2. It'd be hard not to get support for a team like that.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They should move that second LA team to Sacramento (where they have an ownership group in place and a fan-base for the Republic) or San Diego.

The next 3 teams are Orlando, NY and Atlanta and Beckham is trying to get a stadium site in Miami.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should move that second LA team to Sacramento (where they have an ownership group in place and a fan-base for the Republic) or San Diego.

The next 3 teams are Orlando, NY and Atlanta and Beckham is trying to get a stadium site in Miami.

I think NY (with its money) and Atlanta will do great. If Kaka can give Orlando a much needed fan boost, they will work out at least short term. I do wonder about long term.

Beckham should focus on a different city.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OKC is a much different example. They showed great support for the Hornets/Pelicans in the short term, then got a monster superstar to follow as a franchise player in KD, along with Russ as the #2. It'd be hard not to get support for a team like that.

Not many people thought KC would be a good place for soccer when they started and it turned out great for that city.

I think we are ready in a lot of markets for new soccer teams. Just not South Florida or a 2nd in LA.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not good news for MLS, I would think. You don't want teams outright folding.

That said, promote the Riverhounds to the MLS. They have an amazing new stadium and I've heard rumors this may happen someday. I might actually pay attention to MLS then.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not many people thought KC would be a good place for soccer when they started and it turned out great for that city.

I think we are ready in a lot of markets for new soccer teams. Just not South Florida or a 2nd in LA.

I thought Salt Lake was a terrible choice for MLS--I was wrong there. I guess you never know until it is there and is allowed to get established.

I still think St Louis deserves a team--the city was one of the first true soccer cities in our country, a lot of history there.

I think the Miami thing is going to happen, MLS wants a team is south Florida and Beckham isn't looking anywhere else. You know he is going to use his contacts overseas to get the best "name" players he can manage to build up the initial fan base--as long as he invests in a developmental academy I am OK with that (south Florida has a TON of youth talent that just needs pro development).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson