The Official 2008 MLB Draft Thread

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
The June draft is fast approaching and I thought it would be about time for a thread.

Draft Order

1st Round Picks
1 Tampa Bay Devil Rays
2 Pittsburgh Pirates
3 Kansas City Royals
4 Baltimore Orioles
5 San Francisco Giants
6 Florida Marlins
7 Cincinnati Reds
8 Chicago White Sox
9 Washington Nationals
10 Houston Astros
11 Texas Rangers
12 Oakland Athletics
13 St. Louis Cardinals
14 Minnesota Twins
15 Los Angeles Dodgers
16 Milwaukee Brewers
17 Toronto Blue Jays
18 New York Mets
19 Chicago Cubs
20 Seattle Mariners
21 Detroit Tigers
22 New York Mets
23 San Diego Padres
24 Philadelphia Phillies
25 Colorado Rockies
26 Arizona Diamondbacks
27 Minnesota Twins
28 New York Yankees
29 Cleveland Indians
30 Boston Red Sox

Supplemental 1st Round Picks
31. Twins
32. Brewers
33. Mets
34. Phillies
35. Brewers
36. Royals
37. Giants
38. Astros
39. Cardinals
40. Braves
41. Cubs
42. Padres
43. Diamondbacks (Livan Hernandez, Type B, to Min)
44. Yankees
45. Red Sox
46. Padres

Arizona's next picks would be #73 and #104

Edit: Should be correct now

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Prospects who might be available @ 26?

Obviously some INF power on the corners would be nice, cannot have enough pitching.

1B Brett Wallace, Ike Davis would be great

If somehow Brian Matusz would fall that would be amazing.

Is Brett Jacobson eligible, I remember the D'backs tabbed him in the 11th round but he went on to Vandy.

Any way that is just some local talent I would like to see end up w/ the D'Backs.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They need to go heavy on college players. That was Rizzo's philosophy.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One thing is for sure ASU is going to get poached for its top 2 recruits, the Hosmer kid who is considered the best HS prospect in the country and the other guy believe he pitches, can't think of his name. Just like Travis Snyder, Michael Burgess, Justin Jackson, etc, happens every year.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brett Wallace is going to be PHENOMENAL in the next level...

IF he falls that would be outstanding

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I could see some of the guys who will command big dollars falling... ala Stephen Drew, but probably not all they way to #26.

I hope the D'backs take another flyer, their drafts have been out of this world the last 5 years. I guess they learned from Corey Myers that going cheap doesn't work

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks were apparently set to take Ben Sheets before switching late to Myers that year. Ouch. That 1999 draft was pretty brutal in general though.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
For the first time in six or seven years, I have been tuned out of the upcoming draft totally -- when is it, and who are considered the top dozen or so prospects? I don't get Baseball America anymore. 26th pick is still pretty good -- after all, CQ was #29.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the first time in six or seven years, I have been tuned out of the upcoming draft totally -- when is it, and who are considered the top dozen or so prospects? I don't get Baseball America anymore. 26th pick is still pretty good -- after all, CQ was #29.
The draft is June 5th and 6th, with the first round televised on ESPN2.

Tim Beckham (SS, High School), Pedro Alvarez (3B, Vanderbilt), and Buster Posey (C/SS, Florida State) are typically the three top tier position players in this years draft, with Eric Hosmer (1B, H.S.), Justin Smoak (1B, South Carolina) and Gordon Beckham (SS, Georgia, no relation to Tim) making up the second tier. Of course, this is all still in flux. Almost any of those guys falling to 26 would be akin to the year Drew dropped to us. Hosmer has that dreaded Scott Boras label attached to him, and is supposedly asking for $7M. I doubt he gets it, considering that is Justin Upton money without Justin Upton potential, but he's a guy that could really tumble down the draft. For the pitchers, the top two are usually Aaron Crow (rhp, Missouri) and Brian Matusz (lhp, San Diego). It is hard imagining either of those slipping too far, but stranger things have happened in the draft.

Unfortunately for us, this year's draft is considered pretty shallow, where players taken in the mid twenties probably wouldn't be first rounders in an average draft year. So unless the Diamondbacks get a lucky faller, their looking at a project player. For the ASU guys, Brett Wallace (1B/3B) probably will be taken well before #26, but Ike Davis (1B) could be a Diamondbacks pick. Scouts say that Davis could wind up in left field, which would no doubt pique the interest of some Dback fans. Other guys that seem like they could fit the Diamondback drafting profile are Conor Gillaspie (3B, Wichita State), Andrew Cashner (rhp closer, TCU) and Jason Castro (C, Stanford). For what its worth, BA had Gerrit Cole, a high school righty and Boras guy, as the mock pick at #26, but he seems higher up on most other lists.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keith Law's Top 25 from ESPN.com

1. Tim Beckham SS
2. Buster Posey C
3. Justin Smoak 1B
4. Pedro Alvarez 3B
5. Eric Hosmer 1B
6. Aaron Crow RHP
7. Gordon Beckham SS
8. Brian Matusz RHP
9. Tanner Scheppers RHP
10. Gerrit Cole RHP
11. Kyle Skipworth C
12. Brett Wallace 3B
13. Christian Friedrich LHP
14. Aaron Hicks RF/RHP
15. Tim Melville RHP
16. Ethan Martin RHP/3B
17. Josh Fields RHP
18. Yonder Alonso 1B
19. Shooter Hunt RHP
20. Jason Cooper 1B
21. Casey Kelly SS/RHP
22. Jason Castro C
23. Conor Gillaspie 3B
24. Andrew Cashner RHP
25. Lance Lynn RHP

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft

AZZenny

Reaction score
Thanks -- I remember when I used to take a day off work and listen online. Now it justseems like another silly ESPN thing.

Am I mistaken, or didn't MLB put tighter compensation restrictions on draftees?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I see Ike as another Micah Owings. Guy can hit but has pitched well for ASU the last 3 years, plus he's a lefty. If he's there I snap him up.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SI has Ryan Perry, a reliever from UofA as the pick. Can't say I'd be happy with that, he doesn't really come close to the mold of first round closers we have seen in recent years.

" The Diamondbacks aren't especially high on anyone it seems, and they might take a power reliever who they hope could move into the closer role quickly. With Cashner off the board and Georgia's Josh Fields suffering from a late-season drop off, the quick-rising Perry could be the perfect fit while providing a nice PR boost as well. He has more velocity than any of the other college bullpen arms, but some scouts are concerned about the straightness of his pitch, and his overall numbers are hardly dominating. Selection: Ryan Perry, RHP, Arizona"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/06/04/mock.draft/1.html

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SI has Ryan Perry, a reliever from UofA as the pick. Can't say I'd be happy with that, he doesn't really come close to the mold of first round closers we have seen in recent years.

" The Diamondbacks aren't especially high on anyone it seems, and they might take a power reliever who they hope could move into the closer role quickly. With Cashner off the board and Georgia's Josh Fields suffering from a late-season drop off, the quick-rising Perry could be the perfect fit while providing a nice PR boost as well. He has more velocity than any of the other college bullpen arms, but some scouts are concerned about the straightness of his pitch, and his overall numbers are hardly dominating. Selection: Ryan Perry, RHP, Arizona"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/06/04/mock.draft/1.html

Perry throws a 100mph and actually can be a starter. He started games last year but was moved to the pen this year. Plus, he is not the Cats closer, he works the 6th & 7th innings usually. Mock draftes have him going as high as the 13th pick in the first round.

Schlereth will be a very good reliever, lefty who throws 96mph. He will be taken late first, early second.

I just want the Diamondbacks to go heavy with college players.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perry throws a 100mph and actually can be a starter. He started games last year but was moved to the pen this year. Plus, he is not the Cats closer, he works the 6th & 7th innings usually.
He may not be the UofA closer, but that's where he is ideally projected to be in the bigs. Honestly, 100mph throwers have become a dime a dozen, its his secondary pitches (or lack thereof) that concern me.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am pimpin' Ike Davis. Can play OF, 1B, or pitch is we really needed him to. He is slated for the bottom half of the first round. SD seams to be interested in him too from what BA says.

OP
OP
boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I am a big fan of Jemile Weeks (Rickie's younger brother). He has the speed and pitch recognition to be a lead-off hitter. However, most mock drafts have him being taken before our pick.

I would not like the Ryan Perry pick one bit. As a college student at UofA I have been able to watch him pitch and while he lights up the radar guns he is not dominant. He is a thrower, not a pitcher... which should concern all scouts. I doubt he goes as high as people predict... unless some scout really sells his velocity to a team.

I would much rather have Daniel Schlereth (LHP, Arizona) than Perry, but still despise the idea of taking a relief pitcher in the first round of the draft.

PS how sick is it that Tampa Bay has the first pick overall and is already one of the best teams in the league?

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian Matusz is the nephew of a guy on a mailing list I've been on for years.
He just went 4th to the Orioles so he's got one proud uncle right now.