US Soccer Vs South Africa, November 17

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
CHICAGO (AP) -- Jozy Altidore, the New York Red Bulls' 18-year-old scoring sensation, was selected Friday to be on the U.S. roster for the Americans' Nov. 17 exhibition game at South Africa and could make his international debut.

Altidore, who turned 18 on Tuesday, was eighth in Major League Soccer with nine goals this season. He was the only player picked who hasn't played for the national team before.

Freddy Adu, Altidore's teammate on the U.S. team at this year's Under-20 World Cup, also was picked for the match in Johannesburg, the final game of the year for the Americans.

Seventeen players were on the initial roster, including forward Landon Donovan, midfielders DaMarcus Beasley, defender Carlos Bocanegra and goalkeeper Tim Howard. The match will be played at Ellis Park, one of the sites for the 2010 World Cup.

"This match is a great way to cap off a very productive year," said U.S. coach Bob Bradley, whose team is 11-5-1 since he took over at the start of the year. "Once again, we have the opportunity to draw on a group of players who will certainly play a large role in our attempt to qualify for the 2010 World Cup, and the game against South Africa will be a good first taste of what this environment will be like."

In the only meeting between the U.S. and South Africa, the Americans won 4-0 in 2000 in Washington. Bradley will complete the roster following this weekend's games.

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton, England)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham, England), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Dan Califf (Aalborg, Denmark), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (Benfica, Portugal), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Maurice Edu (Toronto), Benny Feilhaber (Derby, England), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Eddie Lewis (Derby, England)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (New York), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles)

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I still can't understand why Eddie Lewis is getting additional caps(over Szetela). Other than him I like the look of the midfielders and really like the fact Altidore is getting his chance.

I expect Bradley to call in another defender though because carrying just 5 isn't his normal MO...maybe Pearce or Subotic?

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Agree with you 100%. I would like to see some additional youth on the back line. We have learned everything there is to know about Bocanegra, Cherundolo, and Onyewu.

Bradley needs a victory. I think this squad hammers the South Africans.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this game in Chicago? I might go if it is not too cold.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pearce and Spector are in, Lewis is out according to USSoccer.com

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Pearce and Spector are in, Lewis is out according to USSoccer.com

Thats good news...here is more from Soccer By Ives...

U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley has called up Jonathan Spector and Heath Pearce for the team's upcoming friendly against South Africa. The national team soccer blog reported that Spector and Pearce on their way in while veteran Eddie Lewis will NOT be joining the squad in South Africa.

Things just got interesting. With Jonathan Bornstein alreay in camp, we will now get a good idea how the national team's left back prospects stack up heading into 2008. Spector has moved into the West Ham starting lineup and could pose a strong threat to Bornstein and Pearce, who is struggling for minutes with Hansa Rostock. Spector's versatility should make him a national team regular as long as he is getting steady minutes for West Ham.

I want to see more of an open competition at left back, rather than have it handed to Bornstein.

Spector at one point was considred one of the top young prospects in US soccer when he was at Man U

Compa

Registered
Reaction score
Thats good news...here is more from Soccer By Ives...

U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley has called up Jonathan Spector and Heath Pearce for the team's upcoming friendly against South Africa. The national team soccer blog reported that Spector and Pearce on their way in while veteran Eddie Lewis will NOT be joining the squad in South Africa.

Things just got interesting. With Jonathan Bornstein alreay in camp, we will now get a good idea how the national team's left back prospects stack up heading into 2008. Spector has moved into the West Ham starting lineup and could pose a strong threat to Bornstein and Pearce, who is struggling for minutes with Hansa Rostock. Spector's versatility should make him a national team regular as long as he is getting steady minutes for West Ham.

I want to see more of an open competition at left back, rather than have it handed to Bornstein.

Spector at one point was considred one of the top young prospects in US soccer when he was at Man U

I have seen very little of West Ham this year. Last year I remember Spector playing RB for WHU. I know he's supposedly versatile, but is there any worry for adjustment if he's getting regular time at RB with his club and moving to LB for the US?

Also, is the RB locked up by someone on the US? I can't remember right now.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
I have seen very little of West Ham this year. Last year I remember Spector playing RB for WHU. I know he's supposedly versatile, but is there any worry for adjustment if he's getting regular time at RB with his club and moving to LB for the US?

Great question.

For better or worse, the middle has been decided with Bocanegra, Onyewu and Califf. I agree with Zeno, more competion is need for the outside. Bornstein and Cherundolo are solid players but I have always wondered if Sir Alex saw some real potential in Spector.

I personally have never believed Jonathan has the speed to play outside and would be better suited in a central defensive role. It appears Bradley likes his LB and RB to push up the field.

Versatility is a plus because Cherundolo alway seems to get injured.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

If Cherundolo stays healthy he'll be our starting RB in 2010...Wynne should be challenge for that spot eventually but he isn't ready yet.

Not sure about Spector, I haven't watch West Ham at all this season. As far as I know though throughout his career with the US Youth teams he's been a central defender and right back--with some MF thrown in there in his younger days.

Pearce has been playing some Left MF with his team in Germany. He'll never make the US Nats in the MF so his best chance is to beat out Bornstein at LB.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Great question.

For better or worse, the middle has been decided with Bocanegra, Onyewu and Califf. I agree with Zeno, more competion is need for the outside. Bornstein and Cherundolo are solid players but I have always wondered if Sir Alex saw some real potential in Spector.

I personally have never believed Jonathan has the speed to play outside and would be better suited in a central defensive role. It appears Bradley likes his LB and RB to push up the field.

Versatility is a plus because Cherundolo alway seems to get injured.

I can understand wanting to push the outside backs up but Bornstein gives the ball away in the MF or the attacking end more than anyone on the current roster (Hejduk and Cobi Jones used to do that alot too--drove me nuts). Bornstein is still young and has an upside but it just feels like he is being handed the LB spot, he's pretty much an automatic start if Bradley brings him to camp. I had high hopes for someone like Dunivant but he never seized the opportunities. LB is probably right up there with forward as the position US Soccer is thinnest at.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
All this talk of the back line has brought back an old question. Why is Carlos Bocanegra not being played at LB? Carlos is one of my favorite players, but often looks...undecisive in a central position. As a defensive player he has a real knack for finishing. On the outside I think his "game" would be better suited.

It is hard to argue removing his experience out of the center. I guess it is as simple as he first caught my eye playing on the left side with Fulham.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Carlos is a natural left footed player as well, it makes a lot of sense to play him there. Its probably his lack of ideal speed for an outside back in Bradley's system that keeps him in the center with Onyewu. I think a back 4 with Cherundolo--Onyewu--Demerit--Bocangera would be pretty solid but lacks a bit when it comes to pace...Onyewu Demerit and Bocanegra would make any opposing players feel it though because they are all physical and not afraid to foul.

cardfaninfl

Reaction score
I'd be very happy with that line-up on defense. We would probably have to drop the gloves debating the midfield. :jedi: Hurry up weekend!

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Donovan out...

DONOVAN RULED OUT OF SOUTH AFRICA MATCH

Landon Donovan will not travel to South Africa after suffering a calf strain during the Galaxy's penalty shootout victory against the Minnesota Thunder on Nov. 11 in Minneapolis. The 25-year-old ends 2007 with nine goals and four assists in 12 games played for the United States, his 34 career goals tied for number one on the USA's all-time scoring list. The coaching staff will not add a replacement, meaning the U.S. will dress 17 players for the Nelson Mandela Challenge Cup this Saturday in Johannesburg.

Wow. Figures something like this happens for an away game. I can't deny Donovan is one of the best US players but his game away from US soil is weak. He needs all the road games he can get, he has to play outside his comfort zone--and an injury in a useless MLS exhibition game keeps him out.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
1-0 US with about 10 minutes left.

I don't really understand why Feilhaber is still in there. He should have been taken out rather than either Dempsey or Adu.

The defense has been solid but Danny Califf can't even come close to the level of Bocanegra.