The Hateful Eight

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw it again a couple days ago. So freaking good. Only major change I noticed was that the opening pull back from the cross seemed to be MUCH shorter timewise then the long version.

Was that cross just a prop, or something that's actually out there where they were shooting. It was a hell of a touch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that cross just a prop, or something that's actually out there where they were shooting. It was a hell of a touch.

i don't know, but the first time I saw this i was high as a freaking kite and that super long pull back on that cross combined with the score had me shaking in my seat.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i don't know, but the first time I saw this i was high as a freaking kite and that super long pull back on that cross combined with the score had me shaking in my seat.

Yep, it was an awesome scene, and I loved that score, reminiscent of the older movies where they had a dedicated effort to create awesome music, just for particular scenes of the film.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
what was the big plot hole?

Like I said, I absolutely loved this movie. This plot hole was the only thing that bothered me.

Samuel L. goes to all the trouble pointing out that Minnie hated Mexicans and would never allow them into her place, yet, when we get the flashback, she never bats an eye at the obvious Mexican hanging out in her place. I was absolutely convinced Tarantino was pulling an unreliable narrator type of bit there, because it completely undermined the whole thing. Turns out it was just a gaping plot hole.

God, yeah, that was amazing.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Good movie with the cinematography, characters and dialogue. Although a little overboard in how unique each character was and how he needs to give different accents in every movie to random people. Mexican, brother and bar owner was blah. At least he didn't go overboard with useless dialog but it seems like he set this all up and was like crap we need to get this moving, I'll just kill someone.

Not sure how to spoiler if this even is..Wished they saved the note reveal for last and thought it was weird that Jackson had a bounty on him too yet there was no plot of someone after him.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I absolutely loved this movie. This plot hole was the only thing that bothered me.

Samuel L. goes to all the trouble pointing out that Minnie hated Mexicans and would never allow them into her place, yet, when we get the flashback, she never bats an eye at the obvious Mexican hanging out in her place. I was absolutely convinced Tarantino was pulling an unreliable narrator type of bit there, because it completely undermined the whole thing. Turns out it was just a gaping plot hole.

huh... I totally moved right past that, didn't even really notice it either time I saw it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuck out like a sore thumb to us. I mean, he had to know he screwed that up, right? Something that big?

I honestly don't remember it well enough to talk about it.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

God, yeah, that was amazing.

I didn't catch that either. But the thing with Samuel L.'s character, it was hard to tell whether he was being truthful or not. So who knows on the Mexican thing. There were 2 other big parts of the movie where you had to wonder a bit whether he was being truthful or just BSing, as he surely had to do often over the years just to stay alive.

In other words, you can't have a "plot hole" based upon statements of a character with a propensity for BS.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What other movies have there been where there were literally no survivors whatsoever? Every single person who appeared on screen in this was dead by the end.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What other movies have there been where there were literally no survivors whatsoever? Every single person who appeared on screen in this was dead by the end.

Reservoir Dogs and Cabin In The Woods

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Anyone notice Kurt Russell's voice a la John Wayne? Not sure if he meant that or just channeled John Wayne on certain scenes. Some scenes were more obvious than others.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Reservoir Dogs and Cabin In The Woods

Good ones.

Seeking a friend for the end of the world. That's the only other one I can think of. Not that uncommon for main characters to bite it but for literally every person who appears on the screen to not survive is pretty rare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't catch that either. But the thing with Samuel L.'s character, it was hard to tell whether he was being truthful or not. So who knows on the Mexican thing. There were 2 other big parts of the movie where you had to wonder a bit whether he was being truthful or just BSing, as he surely had to do often over the years just to stay alive.

In other words, you can't have a "plot hole" based upon statements of a character with a propensity for BS.

I'd go with that idea to. Minny really seemed to nice of a lady to have a sign up like that anyways.

Great movie for sure. QT really knows how to twist up his movies.

Stout

Reaction score
I'd go with that idea to. Minny really seemed to nice of a lady to have a sign up like that anyways.

Great movie for sure. QT really knows how to twist up his movies.

Eh, it's going to bother me no matter what. Seems like all these answers are ex post facto. I don't think we were given any reason in the movie to make us think Samuel L. was BSing about knowing Minnie, and that bit damn sure convinced him to act, so it still plays like a big plot hole to me.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Eh, it's going to bother me no matter what. Seems like all these answers are ex post facto. I don't think we were given any reason in the movie to make us think Samuel L. was BSing about knowing Minnie, and that bit damn sure convinced him to act, so it still plays like a big plot hole to me.

Oh, he knew Minny for sure, but lied about the sign. I also think he lied about killing the General's son as he wanted to get a rise out of him so he could kill him legally.

Stout

Reaction score
Oh, he knew Minny for sure, but lied about the sign. I also think he lied about killing the General's son as he wanted to get a rise out of him so he could kill him legally.

The general's son, yeah, if he didn't lie, it certainly isn't certain, and I'm pretty sure he lied.

How can you possibly be certain he lied about the sign? That's pure speculation. I think it's a plot hole, and haven't seen anything in the movie or heard anything from anyone that would point to it being a lie. Didn't seem like he had a motive for making it up.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The general's son, yeah, if he didn't lie, it certainly isn't certain, and I'm pretty sure he lied.

How can you possibly be certain he lied about the sign? That's pure speculation. I think it's a plot hole, and haven't seen anything in the movie or heard anything from anyone that would point to it being a lie. Didn't seem like he had a motive for making it up.

Because the Lincoln letter. QT just showed us he is a compulsive lier with the letter being fake. There was no plot hole, you just had to realize that he has lied his whole life to get what he wanted out of people, like the ride from Kurt Russells character because of that letter.

He had motivation to lie there to see if he can get a rise out of the guy and he did.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, didn't he also lie right to the guy's face about what type of tobacco Minny smoked to catch the mexican guy in a lie? I think it was pretty well established that Jackson's character lied about a variety of things, each time to gauge someone's reaction and how to play them or get them to expose themselves. I mean, he's pretty much as unreliable a narrator as you can get.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wait, didn't he also lie right to the guy's face about what type of tobacco Minny smoked to catch the mexican guy in a lie? I think it was pretty well established that Jackson's character lied about a variety of things, each time to gauge someone's reaction and how to play them or get them to expose themselves. I mean, he's pretty much as unreliable a narrator as you can get.

Yep he did and the Mexican passed that test. That's what I got out of his character, so many times he was lying, why wouldn't the sign be another lie? You even saw it in the flashback, she had no issue with the Mexican in her shop and she seemed to be a lot nicer of a woman then what Jackson's character was claiming through the whole movie.

Stout

Reaction score
Because the Lincoln letter. QT just showed us he is a compulsive lier with the letter being fake. There was no plot hole, you just had to realize that he has lied his whole life to get what he wanted out of people, like the ride from Kurt Russells character because of that letter.

He had motivation to lie there to see if he can get a rise out of the guy and he did.

Yeah, but lying about the Lincoln letter is one thing, and lying so you can lawfully shoot a man you despise is another; he based whether or not a man was innocent, and whether or not he shot an innocent man, on this. I'm not convinced I should think that was a lie.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, but lying about the Lincoln letter is one thing, and lying so you can lawfully shoot a man you despise is another; he based whether or not a man was innocent, and whether or not he shot an innocent man, on this. I'm not convinced I should think that was a lie.

No big deal if I can't convince yea. I tried. :D At least we both think its a great movie and that's all that matters in the end. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson