Django Unchained

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd probably give it a 7.5/10 for me. My expectations were wayyyyy too high, but besides the KKK scene, there just wasn't that next level QT stuff that I love seeing. All the characters were really good, the story was solid, the violence was all over the place, but there just weren't many surprises in it or scenes where QT ratcheted up the tension to 11 that I love in his movies.

On my QT list... I'd probably put it behind Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, and Kill Bill, right alongside Res Dogs.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Django Unchained

Release Date: December 25, 2012
Studio: The Weinstein Company
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Screenwriter: Quentin Tarantino
Genre: Action, Western
MPAA Rating: R (for strong graphic violence throughout, a vicious fight, language and some nudity)

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson, Gerald McRaney, Dennis Christopher, Laura Cayouette, M.C. Gainey, Don Johnson, Kerry Washington, Anthony LaPaglia, RZA, Tom Wopat, James Remar, James Russo, Todd Allen, Jonah Hill

Plot Summary: Set in the South two years before the Civil War, "Django Unchained" stars Academy Award®-winner Jamie Foxx as Django, a slave whose brutal history with his former owners lands him face-to-face with German-born bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Academy Award®-winner Christoph Waltz). Schultz is on the trail of the murderous Brittle brothers, and only Django can lead him to his bounty. The unorthodox Schultz acquires Django with a promise to free him upon the capture of the Brittles – dead or alive.

Success leads Schultz to free Django, though the two men choose not to go their separate ways. Instead, Schultz seeks out the South’s most wanted criminals with Django by his side. Honing vital hunting skills, Django remains focused on one goal: finding and rescuing Broomhilda (Kerry Washington), the wife he lost to the slave trade long ago.

Django and Schultz’s search ultimately leads them to Calvin Candie (Academy Award®-nominee Leonardo DiCaprio), the proprietor of “Candyland,” an infamous plantation where slaves are groomed by trainer Ace Woody to battle each other for sport. Exploring the compound under false pretenses, Django and Schultz arouse the suspicion of Stephen (Academy Award®-nominee Samuel L. Jackson), Candie's trusted house slave. Their moves are marked, and a treacherous organization closes in on them. If Django and Schultz are to escape with Broomhilda, they must choose between independence and solidarity, between sacrifice and survival...

You must be registered for see images attach

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just met Jaime on new years eve... Super nice.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Jamie Fox makes this movie then has the nerve to go on a rant about gun violence.

Of course he does. You've seen people are essentially blaming people like him for these shootings, right? Tarantino has gone on a rant about gun violence and the accusations that it's violent movies that are the cause too.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Of course he does. You've seen people are essentially blaming people like him for these shootings, right? Tarantino has gone on a rant about gun violence and the accusations that it's violent movies that are the cause too.

Yep, and it's ridiculous. Blaming movies for gun violence is like blaming the Marlboro Man for smoking...oh wait, people are idiotic enough to do that too. It's like blaming Frosty the Snow Man if a kid freezes to death; where the frack is the parent?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw this for the second time last night and i think a 7.5 was too generous. It's entertaining, but really long and no where near the upper echelon of Tarantino's classics.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
saw this for the second time last night and i think a 7.5 was too generous. It's entertaining, but really long and no where near the upper echelon of Tarantino's classics.

You saw it for a second time after thinking it was merely a tiny bit above average?

I loved it--but then again, I think Pulp Fiction is the most overrated film of the last 30 years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You saw it for a second time after thinking it was merely a tiny bit above average?

I wanted to give it a second chance with lowered expectations. I've done that before and been able to appreciate the movie for what it is and not what I expected it to be. But with this one... eh. No surprises, no solid twists, saw pretty much everything coming from a mile away. The KKK scene and the three dimples scene were classic Tarantino moments of hilarity/tension, but those were really the only two moments that completely stuck out for me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wanted to give it a second chance with lowered expectations. I've done that before and been able to appreciate the movie for what it is and not what I expected it to be. But with this one... eh. No surprises, no solid twists, saw pretty much everything coming from a mile away. The KKK scene and the three dimples scene were classic Tarantino moments of hilarity/tension, but those were really the only two moments that completely stuck out for me.

Interesting. I can definitely see your point-of-view.

Myself, I'm a big western fan and while I thought the over-the-top violence wasn't very realistic, the film IMO was pretty close to one of QT's best. It had the over-the-top violence of Kill Bill and the moral compass of Inglorious Basterds without having the innane and pointless dialogue of Pulp Fiction.

Only thing I didn't like was how much he himself stood out in his cameo. Not only is he an awful actor (like M. Night!), he did it with an Australian accent, and not a very good one at that. At least he forced himself to not speak that much.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I can definitely see your point-of-view.

Myself, I'm a big western fan and while I thought the over-the-top violence wasn't very realistic, the film IMO was pretty close to one of QT's best. It had the over-the-top violence of Kill Bill and the moral compass of Inglorious Basterds without having the innane and pointless dialogue of Pulp Fiction.

Only thing I didn't like was how much he himself stood out in his cameo. Not only is he an awful actor (like M. Night!), he did it with an Australian accent, and not a very good one at that. At least he forced himself to not speak that much.

yeah... he almost completely lost me when he showed up as an Aussie. I mean, that took me totally out of the movie for a little bit.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I saw it this weekend and really like it. The blood splattering was over-the-top (e.g., not realistic), but that's Tarantino's signature. The German bounty hunter was a friggin AWESOME character and Django was a straight up hero.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
So-So... expected much better..

I seen it a week ago... Long movie > 2:45

German bounty hunter was good actor,,,he and Foxx saved the movie. Leanardo was weak in his role, IMO.

3 bags of :grabs: out of 5

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I saw this on Saturday. Thought it was good, 7/10 probably. Tarantino almost killed it with his "acting." It was awful. Why even try an Australian accent?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tarantinos best acting job to date was george clooneys brother in dusk till dawn. He kinda played himself so of course he did well.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I watched this last night.. Pretty good I was surprised.. I don't like Tarantino, but this one was good.. Well I liked Inglorious Bastards too..

Only thing I didn't like was the music in this.. Just randomly a Rick Ross rap song pops up.. Totally took me out the feel of the movie.. I sitting there thinking why is there a rap song while cowboys are on horses riding thru the old west? Instead of paying attention to the movie..

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only thing I didn't like was the music in this.. Just randomly a Rick Ross rap song pops up.. Totally took me out the feel of the movie.. I sitting there thinking why is there a rap song while cowboys are on horses riding thru the old west? Instead of paying attention to the movie..

Me too. I was like WTF? I was expecting it to pan back to Leonardo and him texting on his cell phone.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent movie. too long though. I fell asleep for a good 30 minute section but the wife clued me in on what happened.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I watched this last night.. Pretty good I was surprised.. I don't like Tarantino, but this one was good.. Well I liked Inglorious Bastards too..

lol threw me off too.

Some scenes were dragged on too long and could have easily made the movie shorter.

As a story, acting, cinemetography and etc, I give it at least a 7 out of ten. Wonderful movie, great story and the main 2 charectors were awesome.

One of his best IMO.

the kkk scene was awesomely funny.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I loved it. I thought it started out a little slow, but got better as the tension started to build.

Ha, I knew someone would bring this up. The music was great! It fit well with the gratuitous violence.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard