85th Annual Oscars

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't get to watch this year. Was driving home from Palm Springs. Followed most of it on my phone via a few friends.

Love that Argo won, but we really do not need politicians or their wives announcing any winners. Stay out of our Oscars' ceremonies, please.

Not sure what the big deal was. She was promoting the arts, which ties in nicely with the Oscars.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Not sure what the big deal was. She was promoting the arts, which ties in nicely with the Oscars.

Seriously. The FLOTUS is basically the Cheerleader-in-Chief (and I mean that in a non-derogatory way). Her "job", since she isn't actually writing policy or enacting laws, is to get people to care.

Every First Lady uses her platform to do one of two things:

1. Raise awareness for serious issues (see nutrition or reading or fitness campaigns of the past)

2. Dole out "feel good" moments to the masses (see the White House Christmas specials, etc.)

This appearance did both. No problem with her appearing. I think it would have gone over better, though, if she had been live on stage.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Question:

If Seth had mentioned the "Magic Mike" guys in his "Saw Your Boobs" song, would it have taken all the fire out of the people calling him misogynistic today?

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there are actually people who were surprised that Seth was a little bit naughty? Ya gotta be kiddin' me!

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The sock puppets rocked.

Knowing Channing Tatum was at Cardinals camp last summer also rocked.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The "Saw Your Boobs" song was on par with MacFarland's type of humor. Nobody should've been surprised by that, or, any of the other borderline "jokes" he spewed... If you saw the movie TED, you would totally understand.

As for me, while I'll admit TED got more than a few laughs out of me, I prefer the Oscar's host to take it up a notch and show that one can be funny, without being childishly immature and crude. I honestly thought the song was simply stupid and I cringed for MacFarland as he was performing it...
Billy Crystal was always able to be major-league funny, while not dragging down the show into TED-like gutters...
That's just my opinion. I really don't see MacFarland as the comical genius other seem to believe he is. I simply see him as a dude who isn't afraid to say what others might shy away from. Big deal...

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally off-topic, but I wish people could realize just how hurtful comments like these can be to people who are just extremely thin (like my daughters). It's just as insulting, yet for some reason it's socially acceptable to bag on thin people. The only real true difference is that my kids couldn't get any heavier if they tried. It's just not how they're made. My youngest is about 5 feet tall and is just over 70 lbs. It's how she's built. She gets insulted all the time for how skinny she is and no one ever considers that it is just as hurtful as calling someone that's overweight "fat".

When she's older, she may fill out some, but for now, she's just super skinny. Doesn't mean she has an eating disorder, although she gets accused of it.
They rag on fat people a heck of a lot more than thin people. Does that bother you?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously. The FLOTUS is basically the Cheerleader-in-Chief (and I mean that in a non-derogatory way). Her "job", since she isn't actually writing policy or enacting laws, is to get people to care.
You do realize that the Draconian laws being enacted in NYC are Michelle Obama's platform, right?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bush made a taped appearance in 2002. Bet no one complained then...

She was one of many people, including other politicians, in a short film.

Short Film about Movies by Errol Morris

Look for her quickly at 2:14

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If any First Lady wants to come on television with members of the Armed Forces and rock the kind of dress Michelle O was wearing, I am all for it. I also support the promotion of healthy eating. I welcome the discussion and I am fine if people disagree and want to promote the choice to eat crap foods.

:)

And we are still discussing the Oscars so Seth did his job, maybe? And I thought he was somewhat tame. Do people really think a boob song counts as spewing? How Puritan. :). Please don't get mad.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How quickly people forget what Ben Affleck did to Eric Cartman. Taco taco burrito burrito.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
You do realize that the Draconian laws being enacted in NYC are Michelle Obama's platform, right?

It may be her platform, but last time I checked, she wasn't elected and can't cast a vote. She can only cheer it on. She can't do anything to make it law.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard