Django Unchained

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Django Unchained

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/07/us-film-willsmith-idUSTRE74608U20110507

Will Smith has emerged as the frontrunner to star in Quentin Tarantino's next film, a spaghetti Western about a slave in the Old South who teams with a German bounty hunter to search for his wife.

Tarantino stalwarts Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz also are circling key parts.

"Django Unchained," Tarantino's follow up to his worldwide blockbuster Inglourious Basterds, will be distributed domestically by the Weinstein Co. but Tarantino is in the process of selecting a studio partner to release the film internationally.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like most Tarantino movies, some parts will be excellent and some won't. I am skeptical he can rise to the level of Sergio Leone.

Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leonardo DiCaprio Cast As The Villain In Tarantino's Django Unchained

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Leon...in-In-Tarantino-s-Django-Unchained-25104.html

Just in talks...not confirmed...

Also:

So far the only confirmed member of the cast is Christoph Waltz, set to play the dentist turned bounty hunter sidekick of the movie’s lead. Samuel L. Jackson may be involved as Candie’s valet. Will Smith had been rumored as a possibility for the lead, but so far nothing as come of it. Instead Deadline is rumoring names like Idris Elba and Chris Tucker, but for now it’s all just wild rumor-mongering.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What's his obsession with Blacksploitation reenactments?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn... i was hoping it was going to be Ildris Elba... dude's a bad mother****er... one i believe can exist on a level playing field with Dicaprio (as a bad guy... should be sick).

AZZenny

Reaction score
I trust Tarantino will handle slavery in ways nobody else has had the balls or creativity/creative license to do. And not just 'some parts will be good some parts bad' -- some parts will be superb, some parts will be appalling, some will be silly/ridiculous, some parts outrageous, and the thread of weakness throughout will be his unrestrained, gluttonous self-indulgence. When he reins that in just a bit - as he did in the farmhouse scene in 'Inglorious' for example - IMO he is about as good as it gets.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my expectations for this movie are sky-high. Tarantino taking on slavery... with DiCaprio as the heavy? This could be movie magic.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first trailer.

Not real impressed by trailer at all. Would have much rather seen Will Smith in the lead role as was said earlier.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it. One of the few people that put out movies I will watch in the theater (210 mile drive for me for a real theater).

Strange though to see Dicaprio and Waltz have their roles switched.

:shock: I could never, ever live like that. I watch tons of movies in the theater.

Yeah, this looks like a Tarantino classic, all right.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shock: I could never, ever live like that. I watch tons of movies in the theater.

Yeah, this looks like a Tarantino classic, all right.

yup... have to set my expectations down for this sucker because they are sky high.

Between this, The Hobbit, Skyfall, The Master, The Great Gatsby there's some potentially great movies rounding out the end of the year. And that's not even mentioning the end of the Twilight saga!

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Seen previews of this yesterday....it looks to be a very entertaining movie.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Initially disappointed when I saw this :(

I thought it was a sequel to "Sukiyaki Western Django" a VERY VERY good Tarantino movie that few know about.

I might go start a thread about it. Go pull it off Netflix or something. 10/10. Its a spagetti western, in ancient Japan, with Japanese actors, who dont speak english, delivering english lines. ITs friggin nuts but its a good moive.

This looks good too, of course Ill go see it.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look good to me.. Probably see it, but Tarrantino doesn't really make movies I like..

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
I have a huge crush on Christoph Waltz. As I think or read he is trying to get out of being a villain with a few movies coming up of his resume.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Initially disappointed when I saw this :(

I thought it was a sequel to "Sukiyaki Western Django" a VERY VERY good Tarantino movie that few know about.

I might go start a thread about it. Go pull it off Netflix or something. 10/10. Its a spaghetti western, in ancient Japan, with Japanese actors, who don't speak English, delivering English lines. It's friggin nuts but its a good movie.

This looks good too, of course Ill go see it.

Sukiyaki Western Django was written by Takashi Miike and Masa Nakamura. It was directed by Takashi Miike, known mostly for J-horror films. Quentin Tarantino only acted in it - didn't write or direct.

Here is the ASFN thread for it:

Sukiyaki Western Django

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based upon what I've seen and heard of this, plus seeing other QT films, I suspect this review sums up what my take on this is...

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/26/tarantinos_incoherent_three_hour_bloodbath/

I swear.... I don't understand Hollywood's fascination with QT any more than I could with Sam Peckenpa. QT could slide dog poop on a platter across the screen, hit it with a few blood ballons, and Hollywood/the critics would rave. Obviously, I just don't get it. :shrug:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard