Day 2 Grade?

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I gotta give it a C.

Starting with the trade down from #35, which I think was a big mistake...to some of the player we took in the 3rd round...it just seemed like we thought we were outsmarting all the experts and every other team in the NFL. I don't think Monti is that good. For all the praise he got last year...none of the picks he made make you think "that guy is a probowler".

I like Melton...although I would have rather had Dejean or KoolAid.

I love Benson.

Adams, Reiman, and Jones all feel like they could have been had 2 rounds later than we picked them.

To me, to have FIVE day 2 picks and only end up with 2 guys who will even get snaps as rookies seems like a big waste. Good teams get starters and core players on Day 2. I really hope these guys work out, but it feels like if this was the haul...we would have been better off being aggressive and using those picks to move up from #27 to get Turner, Murphy, Mitchel or Arnold...and we still could have gotten Newton at #35.

Just my thoughts in the moment. I hope every one of these guys becomes a great player...Im just questioning the decision making of not being more aggressive to target guys we think would have been day 1 starters.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmmm...maybe a B/B- for me. I didn't like the pick of Reiman and thought Adams was ok, but liked the picks of Melton, Jones, and Benson. :shrug:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Strictly day two C+ grade…

I like going quantity corners after R1 but a stiff RB and project TE when quality WR’s were on the board is rough. Overall draft is a B+ b/c of MHJ.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think C is a fair grade.

From one perspective, if you look at filling needs, fitting scheme, and having unique characteristics you can build on, I think all the players we drafted check those boxes and could all develop to be at least contributors to this team.

From another perspective, you can assess the value of pick based on consensus opinion of them from draft analysts and who else was on the board, and I think everyone but MHJ and Benson has been a reach in this draft so far from this perspective. Doesn’t mean that’s how it will turn out - Puka Nacua would have been a massive reach/low value pick in the 3rd round a year ago at this time.

So, all taken together - a C grade seems fair to me.

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
I'll give it a B.

Took players on position of need. Granted some of the players we as fans never heard of. But when you get down to it when it comes to scheme fit I think we did alright.

Were there players I felt we should've picked instead? Of course but that's because I studied those players but didn't take scheme fit in to account.

For example that Tip Reiman pick. While it wasn't the sexy pick. We'll be thankful for picking him when we run two TE sets and have to run the ball. Those extra first downs or touchdowns are going to be huge. May not look great on his stat sheet but it matters.

Best part... Still have tons of picks tomorrow and Rice is still available and I am excited to see what we build with and learn more about players that we don't know much about.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
You guys are some serious trying to shove the round peg in the square type peeps. Draft grades from Sports writers don’t account for scheme or fit.

Does anyone think that maybe just maybe, JG and Monti wanted people that fit their scheme and not just high grades from PFF? Because Keim drafted off high grades from PFF and everyone gushed and then it sucked.

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
You guys are some serious trying to shove the round peg in the square type peeps. Draft grades from Sports writers don’t account for scheme or fit.

Does anyone think that maybe just maybe, JG and Monti wanted people that fit their scheme and not just high grades from PFF? Because Keim drafted off high grades from PFF and everyone gushed and then it sucked.
Because PFF is obviously the only source you can use to understand where guys might be projected to fall in the draft to assess the relative value of the picks we make. Of course every team drafts for scheme/fit and the draft never plays out strictly according to projected rankings, but I challenge you to find a single credible source that does prospect rankings or mock drafts that had Isaiah Adams as a Top 75 pick. I’d be shocked if you found a single one. Given this, it if fair to criticize the pick based on the perceived value. You drafted a guy earlier than hundreds of people who have at least some level of credibility projected he would go. Doesn’t mean he’s going to be bad, doesn’t mean he won’t thrive in our scheme, but it’s a fair measure to grade picks on draft night. Once the real games start, every single draft grade means absolutely nothing.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Because PFF is obviously the only source you can use to understand where guys might be projected to fall in the draft to assess the relative value of the picks we make. Of course every team drafts for scheme/fit and the draft never plays out strictly according to projected rankings, but I challenge you to find a single credible source that does prospect rankings or mock drafts that had Isaiah Adams as a Top 75 pick. I’d be shocked if you found a single one. Given this, it if fair to criticize the pick based on the perceived value. You drafted a guy earlier than hundreds of people who have at least some level of credibility projected he would go. Doesn’t mean he’s going to be bad, doesn’t mean he won’t thrive in our scheme, but it’s a fair measure to grade picks on draft night. Once the real games start, every single draft grade means absolutely nothing.
Sure I can point to two experts that had them rated that high…… Monti and JG.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
…..So it’s not fair to do this.
Right now it’s fair to grade based on perceived scheme/fit and value, since no one knows how any of these guys will turn out. Once you start to understand how they actually will turn out, what you think right now is no longer relevant. Or we could just shut the board down until training camp if you’d like?

OP
OP
F

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
lol. Yeah. They did the whole roster in one season SMDH
I'm just not ready to crown Monti as some sort of draft guru. He traded down from the DROY last year and got an average OT. None of his picks last year blew our minds this year, and the team won 4 games.

Of course you can't give him a total grade for another couple of years...but outside of MHJ...he hasn't made a single pick that is an A grade.

Look at what the Bears GM has done in the last 2 years with top picks and trades. DJ Moore, Darnell Wright, Caleb Williams, Rome Odunze and a 2025 2nd round pick....and his team won 7 games last year.

OP
OP
F

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Are you for real dude? You think last year is on them? K
You think their picks last year prove that they are experts? They traded away the DROY for the 4th best OT in the draft and the #27 pick.

Monti should get hate for that trade..not praise. He got whipped by the Texans, who used their picks to get the 2 best players in the draft and go from one of the worst teams in the league to winning a playoff game in 1 year

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
You think their picks last year prove that they are experts? They traded away the DROY for the 4th best OT in the draft and the #27 pick.

Monti should get hate for that trade..not praise. He got whipped by the Texans, who used their picks to get the 2 best players in the draft and go from one of the worst teams in the league to winning a playoff game in 1 year

Monti got his ass kissed for “fleecing” the Texans for what was predicted to be a top 5 pick in this draft from Houston. This made Monti a little too cocky with the trade downs

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison